Friday Fun: Last Vacation!

Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2021

It’s my turn to write an article and it's been  quite long time since wrote an article on Atlassian community but I hope everyone will like it.

So, it’s very rare that I have gone for a vacation or for a trip. Today I will talk about the last trip from December 2019.

Well, it was family trip and 10-15 people were there starting from my parents to my cousins.

So, I have planed the trip to Sundarbans and it was pretty amazing experience.

By the way, if you are unaware what or where is Sundarbans, here is the small info

Sundarbans is a mangrove area in the delta formed by the confluence of the Ganges, Brahmaputra and Meghna Rivers in the Bay of Bengal. It spans from the Hooghly River in India's state of West Bengal to the Baleswar River in Bangladesh's division of Khulna.

For more info visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundarbans or just google it!

In the Sundarbans, the Bengal Tiger is Always Watching You | RoundGlass |  Sustain

It was 7 days trip and enjoyed and explored a lot. We used to travel for whole day in a boat and visited a lot of different places. It was a great experience spending whole day on a boat. While returning in the evening the winds were pretty cold and the sky was full of stars. There was also cultural performance by the local people of Sundarbans every evening after everyone returned to the lodge/hotel.

Where have you been in your last Vacation?

20 comments

Comment

Valerie Knapp August 13, 2021

Great topic! I have just changed jobs and I was very fortunate that I got to spend a week with my partner in Cinque Terre, which is a beautiful area in Northwest Italy, where we normally live in the Northeast. We travelled by train and then stayed in an apartment that was 5 minutes walk from the beach. This part of Italy is famous for its food, like focaccia and pesto so we ate a lot of that and had a wonderful time!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinque_Terre

PXL_20210725_085202477.jpg (1).jpg

Like # people like this
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2021

@Valerie Knapp That's really nice! Thanks for sharing!

Like Mohini Yaswin likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2021

I've had a few "getaway breaks" during the pandemic (mostly trips to see relatives and claim it's a holiday because I've at least got away from the office)

The last proper holiday I had was, um, well, a trip to the office.  I live 70 miles outside London, but work there nominally.  My partner does not.  So when we take time off together and stay in London, it's a "holiday" because we have to travel there and not work. 

But the bits of London we were wandering around included Waterloo's Leake Street, where one end of the street emerges almost on to Adaptavist's old front door (we've moved now).  And Somerset House (three Adaptavist clients in there).  And Covent Garden (Adaptavist's first London office, and now our present one).  And Cambden (two clients).  And Shoreditch (lost count of clients and partners there)...

The other proper holiday was very subdued - we stayed on the edge of a village in Suffolk, counting bunnies in the fields and forests that surrounded the house, and not really being able to do a lot because most places that entertained crowds were shut, and meals or drinkies out were limited to very socially distanced restaraunts.  Lots of walking and wandering around picturesque places, but not much more.

Looking forward to the next one in six weeks though, a week in Somerset.  No intention of international trips beyond Wales or Scotland until well into next year though.

Like Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM likes this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
August 13, 2021

It sounds like an excellent trip @Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM   😮!!

My last trip was earlier this year (January - February); I went to this small town in Italy with beautiful scenery, which I got the chance to explore by bike.

The picture below offers a glimpse of how did it look:

1.jpg

Hey @Valerie Knapp, I also went there and Pisa sometime in summer last year. Did you get the chance to do the whole Cinque Terre walk? I only did it by train :( I want to go back and walk it all over.

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2021

Wow, so beautiful!

Like Huwen Arnone likes this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
August 29, 2021

Indeed, the surroundings there are very special. Italy is an exceptional place.

Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2021

That's awesome @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  & @Huwen Arnone ! Thanks for sharing! 

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
August 15, 2021

Thank you! This has been a great #FridayFun thread 😎🙌

Like Valerie Knapp likes this
Valerie Knapp August 13, 2021

Hi @Huwen Arnone , we only managed to do one walk of the Cinque Terre. We went for another walk earlier in the week, to a different place in that area, but we made many beginners mistakes, like starting at 11am and hiking through the hottest part of the day!

So, when we planned to do the Cinque Terre, we set off early in the morning and took the train to the furthest away, Monterosso al Mare, and walked only to the second furthest, Vernazza, which was still enough walking for me. :) It was fun but there are a lot of stairs to begin so if you can manage to overcome that part, the rest is manageable.

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
August 15, 2021

omG, rookie mistakes or not, sounds exciting still! I can't wait to do it, and thank you very much for sharing your experience there.🤩

Like Valerie Knapp likes this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2021

Last vacations were my first as a parent. So me and my family find a kind of quite place in Greece, called Nafplio, which happens to be the first capital of Greece. Can't say that I rested as long as I wanted, but I can't complain either! I let my self go and had fun with my family!

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2021

Just got back from spending a week in the mountains backpacking.

20210728_125603.jpg

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2021

I can't believe it's been almost two years since I travelled abroad. September 2019 - Fuerteventura, Canary Islands.

ci.png

Like # people like this
Tom Kakanowski August 13, 2021

My last real vacation was cruising to Desolation Sound in August 2019, a beautiful paradise that can only be reached by boat (a couple of days travel) or float plane.

2021-08-13 09_26_29-Desolation Sound - Google Maps — Mozilla Firefox.png

838478266_smuggler_cove_sunshine_coast_3000x1000

One of the wonderful traditions in Desolation is an on-water concert that takes place in early August.  Boaters throughout the sound congregate and make a huge raft of hundreds of boats/dinghies around the swim deck of a large yacht with PA and power for live bands, and its just a big party.  There is drinking, merriment and a bit of mayhem, but its all in good fun.  Sometimes the law likes to circle the event, but everyone is so densely packed together that they won't interfere unless something very serious/dangerous happens (never seen it).  FYI, unfortunately this time of year is also wildfire season, thus the smoke in the air.

IMG_3409.JPG

IMG_3332.JPGIMG_3339.JPGIMG_3342.JPGIMG_3360.JPGIMG_3362.JPGIMG_3369.JPG

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2021

My last vacation before the pandemic was in December 2019 and it was to Las Vegas. I visited there with my friends and family and stayed there for almost 1 week. Since it was our first trip to Las Vegas, we had a lot of fun and explored different places around Las Vegas as well.

I still remember that time and cherish the memories as I haven't got a chance for another vacation after that due to the pandemic.

Like # people like this
Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2021

I took a vacation a few weeks ago with my parents to Florida. We camped in an RV (which is not really camping by some peoples' standards, I admit.)

Stayed in Avalon Landing which is very close to Pensacola. Went to the beach a few times, watched the Blue Angels Naval flying squad practice, ate a lot of seafood and left on 4th of July just ahead of Hurricane Elsa making landfall. 

Good times were had by all. 

20210630_110032.jpg

Like # people like this
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2021

In past years we have really short vacations with children (sometimes I would not call it vacation).

Last real big trip was in 2014 :D. We travelled from Czech republic to US and spent 2.5 months there. We had a road trip from Decorah (Iowa) to west coast, spent 2 weeks in there and then got back to Decorah. I worked a little (remotely which was quite rare in 2014 :)).

Attaching one photo from the Halloween :D

DSC08421.JPG

Like # people like this
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2021

My last vacation was in February'21 to the beautiful GOA. It was a much needed break during the pandemic and I'm happy that I was able to make it. Loved watching the sunset and spend some quality time.

20210814_085020.jpg

Like # people like this
Paloma Fondon Araujo
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2021

Our last vacation was last week, we have been in Galicia (Spain) and we loved it, both the food and the landscapes...we love the north and every summer, whenever we can, we make a mandatory visit. Of all the pictures we have taken, I'll keep this one, which sums up the vacations in the best possible way, with them!

photo1629108382.jpeg

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2021

Ah….Vacation! I am desperately in need of another vacation. My last vacation was wonderful trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina back in March. My wife and I have been vacationing there for the last 35 years almost every year and some years more than once. We especially like the small island of Ocracoke. A wonderful bohemian artistic community with great food, great fishing and cold beers.

BE312772-CE50-4741-A06C-B6E3DBA29F0A.jpeg836B3D91-5D57-42EA-B357-6DBD999A0B4A.jpeg

4D5BA6FA-EE2D-485F-B480-BEAAFF129038.jpeg7FCFB5A0-BC8D-46C8-BCBA-40BA2255B6DA.jpeg

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2021

Can't wait until it is safe to have a proper vacation again.

Like # people like this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2021

We went for Bristol and Bath Trip in UK last week. In Bristol, one of our favourite destination was Clifton Suspension Bridge. Snap from Observatory near the bridge.

IMG_20210814_121550.jpg

Bristol Cathedral - Museum of the Moon.

IMG_20210814_155557.jpg

Bath Abbey founded in 8th Century and now a parish church.

IMG_20210815_122809.jpg

Like # people like this
Svenja Lorenzen
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2021

My last vacation was a trip to South Africa.

IMG_0016.JPG

I went on a retreat. I did a lot of sport, meditation and thinking.

IMG_0002.JPG

Two of the best but also (mentally) exhausting weeks in my life.

i‘m still thankful for this great experience.

Like # people like this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2021

Great snaps @Svenja Lorenzen , I love mountains too! Could you please share the mountain name?

Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
August 29, 2021

I think this is Table Mountain; it's located in Cape Town.

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2021

Hi @Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM 

I finished my vacation today and we have been to the beach and visiting natural parks where we have seen this beauty, a lemur one of my daughter's favorite animals who has always been a fan of the movie "Madagascar"

Lemur.jpg

Cheers

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events