Friday Fun - Last Meal on Earth

zack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2018

Happy Friday Community!

I listen to a lot of podcasts in my spare time, and one of them always asks their guests what their last meal on earth would be. Which got me thinking about my own...

I have some middle-eastern heritage, so I think my last meal would have to be a big assortment of mediterranean food made by my grandmother: stuffed grape leaves, kibbie, hummus, baba ghanoush, kabees el lift, etc. and then top it off with too much baklava for dessert.

So, if you knew your days were numbered, and you were allowed anything at all, what would your last meal be?

33 comments

Comment

Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2018

@zackMy last  meal will be Atlassian Stack

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 7, 2018
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 7, 2018

Oh man, good question @zack.  

I can't decide between the tasting menu (wine pairing included, of course) at Atelier Crenn or an In n' Out burger (double meat, no cheese, raw onion) and a strawberry milkshake. Do I go fancy or do I go guilty pleasure food? Hmm....

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 10.30.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-06-07 at 10.31.40 AM.png

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2018

@Monique vdB, I guess that depends on how much time exists between finding out it's your last meal and the arrival of the Reaper. If he's already knocking then go for the burger. There is nothing worse then having to rush a meal as appealing to all the senses. 

BTW...I have a new bucket list item :)

-Scott

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 7, 2018

@Scott Theus worth it. The tasting menu at Benu is also amazing and I considered that for my list instead Two words: Lobster Bao.

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 11.43.24 AM.png

Alinea has always been on my bucket list...

Like # people like this
Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

I made Baozi once! It didn't come out great haha

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

Detroit-style pizza. For sure. 🍕❤️

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2018

A fantastic choice!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 7, 2018

Where can I taste Detroit-style pizza? I mean, Detroit, obviously, but.... like... anywhere else?

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

Mo, it's the best. 😭 Come to New York, and we'll visit Emmy Squared. Or if you find yourself in Michigan, hop on over to Jet's or Buddy's Pizza.

mccurcio June 11, 2018

If Detroit style pizza is anything like Chicago pizza I would have to pass. I was thinking New York style but then I thought of a place in Boston that has excellent Sicilian! mmmmm... :)))

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

@mccurcio Oh gosh, no, not at all like Chicago-style! For Detroit-style, think rectangle + crispy crust.

mccurcio June 11, 2018

You neglected to mention Italian pastries for desert!  And for that you would have to come to Boston for either Mike's Pastries or Cafe Vittoria.  Now, they both have pros and cons. Mike's is not a sit down site. You grab it and stroll Hanover St.  However Cafe Vittoria is a sit down and if you want to ppl watch its great too, and it is known for its 'colorful' clientel, (if ya' noo wadd-a mean...). But don't worry 'bout dat cuz I used to know some of da guys. ;))

Steph
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2018

There is also a great spot in Austin, TX called Via 313 that does amazing Detroit-style pizza. Those crispy edges call to me, their siren song of deliciousness lulling me into a food coma. 

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

@Steph Part of me wishes you hadn't told me that (I'm visiting the Austin office this week!)

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2018

@Erica Moss - no excuses, now you have to try the best pizza in Austin 

Steph
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2018

@Erica Moss ha, I regret nothing, and trust me, neither will you. 

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

That's easy....1 large pizza with double pepperoni, slightly well done, and a margarita. 

Oh...and it has to come from here: Pizza Palace

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2018

That menu for Pizza Palace look amazing!

Daniel Holmes June 15, 2018

Definitely pizza

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2018

Oh this is a hard one to answer. I would have to say a prime rib with mushrooms, mashed potatoes, and some German chocolate cake with a boulevard wheat beer. Or pizza if I was short on time, BBQ chicken pizza, with the beer still and the cake.

Aswin Achuthan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

Ah, good post :D 
If I have superpower to eat without any limit, I would have South Indian Chicken Biryani

d815e816-4664-472e-990b-d880be41499f--chicken-biryani-recipe.jpg

.. AND Chicago's Deep Dish Pizza

20140525-294370-best-deep-dish-pizza-art-of-pizza-primary-1500x1125.jpg

Like # people like this
Rahul Patil
Atlassian Team
June 8, 2018

Drool @  Biryani.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2018

@Aswin AchuthanI will go with Mild Chiken Biryani

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

It may be just me, but there is something about this topic that makes me want to grab a towel and go hitchhiking.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 7, 2018

@Scott Theus As long as you have your towel. ;) 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

0096a7ae99a763249346d38403e9daac--funny-tweets-towels:)

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 7, 2018

8. Fashion accessory

9. To play peek-a-boo with an infant/toddler

10. A skirt or really short strapless dress

Can we get to 42 uses?

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

11. Rucksack

12. Blindfold

13. Pillow

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 7, 2018

14. Wave at a bull in the ring if you are in a Hemingway novel

15. Mop up spills

16. Use as a hammock when sleeping in the forest

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

17. Use as a hot pad

18. Wrap your hair up out of your face

19. Honeymoon reasons...

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

20.  A field Dressing

21.  Put a nice shine on a pair of shoes

23.  Soak it in water and sooth a savage sunburn

24.  A cape for a super hero

25.   Sit on it in the car after a day at the beach

26.  An emergency bed for new born kittens

27.   Wipe your exercise equipment after you finish your set

Bonus....These are all things I've done :)

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2018

28. A Diaper

29. Towel-snapping some buns

30. Curtain to keep the sun out of your window

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2018

31. Fishing Net

32. Mosquito/bug defense (wrap yourself up)

33. Lay it on hot sand and get a suntan without burning

34. Use it to make a "Karma's a B****" meme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bElB4_N9qpI -- excluding the one word, completely SFW :)

35. Makeup removal after #34

36. Wrap up a hot/cold pack

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2018

37. A "Send Help" flag when stuck on the highway

38. Hang it on your doorknob to warn your roommate you are entertaining a guest

39. A "swiffer mop" cover

40. A chew-toy/tug-of-war rope for your dog

41. A turban

42. A rather annoying cartoon character

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2018

Bonus: Use it for this thing that has a name but idk what it is...

UPDATE: Apparently it's called a hobo stick?!

Image result for towel on stick nap sack

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2018

43. Napkin

44. Knee protection on a hard floor

45. Campfire kindling

46. When you're trying to pull someone up dangling from a cliff and they're just ... out ... of ... reach.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2018

#46 though - winning 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2018

Hey, you sass that hoopy @Scott Theus ?  There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.

Brien Matthys June 7, 2018

Tacos with Chips and Salsa! I could eat this daily! :)

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 7, 2018

Roast lamb with kumara and pumpkin cooked by my mother-in-law followed by hot apple pie with cream and vanilla ice-cream (assuming the end is not long after the meal otherwise I need dairy-free ice-cream).

Followed by Earl Grey tea and banana cake with chocolate icing.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

Just take me to a chocolate factory and set me free. Clean my body up when I hit the floor. I'm Augustus Gloop in real life. 

Willy-Wonka-Augustus-Gloop

Agree with @Kat Warner though, any ice cream would need to be consumed relatively close to my departure. 

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

@Meg Holbrook Living for this reference.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

I'm happy you're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down. 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2018

I am in @Meg Holbrook anything that has some good crispy hazelnut is my favorite

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

Coconut something. If I'm going to die, I might as well have something I'm deathly allergic to. 

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
June 7, 2018

I suggest a Pina Colada!

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2018

I have a perfume that is Pina Colada smelling. It's my favorite. I've never actually had one.

Aidan Samuel June 7, 2018

So it's my last day on earth and I can eat anything? Anything?

I'd eat a mushroom. Specifically:

Image result for extra life mushroom

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 7, 2018

@Aidan Samuel amazing.

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2018

@Aidan Samuelclever - love it!

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2018

AHAHAHA Clever.

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2018

Fantastic!

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2018

Yang's Fried Dumpling!

timg.jpgyangs.jpg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 7, 2018

I eagerly searched for where this is, but see that the answer is Shanghai. Noooooooo.....

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2018

Those fried dumplings look amazing.

Linette
Atlassian Team
June 7, 2018

Showing my UK roots, I'd have a chip butty:

Warm from the oven, thick fluffy slices of bread.

Lashings of melting butter.

Thick cut chips, the slightly waxy kind of potato, rather than the floury kind.

Salt, pepper.

One round would have Worcester sauce, the way I traditionally had them.

The second round would have some cheese and sambal olek.

I would die full and happy.

Like Davin Studer likes this
Fraser Colmer [Zephyr]
Marketplace Partner
June 8, 2018

I agree Linette! I would also put an English Roast dinner out there.

Roast chicken with roast potatoes, vegetables and gravy. What I miss most about being home!

Like Davin Studer likes this
Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2018

If I know this is my last day on earth, most probably I won't eat a thing on the day. surely it is the meal I had the day before. looking at my current meal routine it would be rice and curry. Oh god! I should change my meals 

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2018

I would definitly eat a mix of cakes from my grandma - if I had to choose one I would take "Frankfurter Kranz" (Frankfurt wreath) like on this pic. That's something to die for - a lot of buttercream, biscuit dough, marmelade and caramelized almonds.
Bildergebnis für frankfurter kranz

Will my day on earth end when I finished the meal @zack?

Damn got hungry now - have to call granny on the weekend <3

Like # people like this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2018

I need this in my life. 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2018

@Meg Holbrook - Come to Germany - you can get this almost everywhere here - but be careful, one piece and you can't do anything else anymore, just sit and relax for the next hour... 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel - I'm on my way. Save me a piece. 

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2018

@Meg HolbrookI can send you the recipe if you want to try it :)

-> Maybe we need a recipe-change-area in this community - would also be helpful when you're not sure what to eat during day

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

@Fabienne Gerhard - that would be great. I have a bundt pan waiting!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2018

I would take

- a Tom Kha Gai Soup first

- Some Italian pasta with grilled chicken, spinach-cream-sauce and a lot of parmesan cheese

- Creme Brulée

and a Bavarian Weizenbier

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2018

Or a bucket full of Nutella - who cares about calories on the last day...

nutella.jpg

Like Fadoua likes this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2018

@Thomas SchlegelNutella <3 how could I forget that

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

Give me a five pound bag of pretzels, a bucket of nutella, and call it good. 

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2018

Buckets! Goodness I've never seen a bucket of Nutella.

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2018

After my pizza, my margarita, and my demise I want to cook my next meal with Anthony Bourdain.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2018

;-;

my heart.

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2018

This is a difficult question since I love food. But I guess my answer would be mom's spaghetti with her simple tomato sauce, you know, I'm just your typical girl from Italy. 🙃

Joff
Atlassian Team
June 9, 2018

Fred’s steak. You can only get it at Schaubs meat market in Palo Alto, CA

Hidden gem of the Silicon Valley techie crowd. Plus mash potatoes and green beans with garlic and butter.

Umm. 

Omar Herrera
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2018

I will eat a cheesecake the best one.

Deleted user June 11, 2018

Chilled (not baked) Lemon Cheesecake

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2018

My food tastes vary a lot, and I'm rubbish at building a meal where the courses complement each other, so I'll just go over the courses.

• A starter of Mr Falafal's finest (Just outside Shepherd's Bush tube) 
  • 1847's "fish and chips", but just the fish part
  • The "chips" the Old Vicarage in Witherslack used to do to go with the fish (sadly, closed years ago)
  • Edmund's ice cream (Birmingham)

I couldn't work out a way to fit a curry dish in there though...

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2018

I'd start with tenderloin tamales from Reata in Fort Worth, then gorge myself on the buffalo ribeye and the chile relleno. A Billionaire Margarita to pair with my tamales and a Fort Worth Old Fashion to go with my ribeye.

Half of that fried chicken donut sandwich from Do Rite Donuts in Chicago would count as my savory-sweet dessert which might do me in anyway.

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2018

Now that's what I call a meal!

Allison Stolard
Atlassian Team
June 11, 2018

I would either do a meal of my Italian favorites (buffalo mozzarella on anything, lobster pasta, and a simple gelato) or a meal at my favorite Persian restaurant in Houston http://avestahouston.com/ its all good there... no dessert.  

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events