Friday Fun: Every Noise at Once

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2018

Happy Friday All,

(Yes, it's already Friday in futureland a.k.a. Australia, lucky jerks!)

It's not quite the end of the week here in the USA and I've got my music turned up and working hard on some new software integration projects. I won't bore you with the details, but thought that today I would share one of my favorite things on the internet: Every Noise at Once 

How it works:
Every Noise seeks to map the entire human experience of music via visual representation. Clicking on each link will play a sample of a song that represents that specific genre. 

When you click the little arrows on the right of the example, the site takes you to a page that has every artist that's currently been mapped to that sound. 

Bonus: Click this link and you'll be presented with genre playlists for a large portion of their library.

In my opinion, this is a FANTASTIC way to find music you like and branch out into new sounds. Load up the page, close your eyes, and click away!

Please share your favorite genres below, and feel free to post pictures and links of some of YOUR favorite artists. As for me, I'll be jammin to my deep deep tech trance... beastmode activate. 

2018-07-19_8-30-41.png

10 comments

Comment

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2018

THIS IS GONNA BE INTERESTING. Hold on this'll take a bit.

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018

So I just spent the last hour plugging in my top listened to artists from Spotify and came back with these genres:

Visual Kei - The Gazette, An Cafe, Gackt, Dir En Grey
Classic Rock - Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Whitesnake, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Styx, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd
Emo / Pop Punk - My Chemical Romance, Black Veil Brides 
K Pop - Big Bang, BTS
Pixie (why is this group called pixie?!) - Andy Black, The Ready Set, Set It Off, Escape the Fate... And honestly pretty much everything in here I listen to?!
Pirate / Viking Metal - Alestorm, Dropkick Murphys, King of Asgard
Gothic Symphonic Metal - In This Moment, Nightwish, Amarathe, Within Temptation
Europop - Backstreet Boys, Cascada, Basshunter, Eiffel 65, BBmak
Modern Country Rock - Brantley Gilbert, Josh Turner, Scotty McCreery
New Wave - Gerard McMann, INXS, David Bowie, Depeche Mode
Video Game Music / Anime Music - Ha. Too much to list. Mostly Parodies tho.
Soundtrack - 100% only because of John Williams
Post-Teen Pop - Taylor Swift, Adam Lambert, Jesse McCartney
Other - Horrorcore, Pop-Rap, Country, Grunge, Hair Metal, Psychadelic Rap, Irish Rock, Death Metal, J-Punk, Alt Metal, Alt Rock, Thrash, Renaissance

Things I've learned from this experience: Apparently, I really like "Pixie" and I have musical ADHD.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018

John Williams!!!!

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2018

The man is a genius.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2018

I so agree. Unfortunately, I don't think he's actually composing much these days.

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2018

HONEY.

He just did the Last Jedi! He's working on the next one too.

Like Monique vdB likes this
Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2018

think he also participated in Solo but I don't think he was primary on that one.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018

@Scott Theus found pirate music, and this is what I live for

http://everynoise.com/engenremap-pirate.html#tunnel

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018

@Heth Siemer DUDE!

Metal pirate music? How happy am I?

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018

There's a Pirate Metal playlist on Spotify I follow (created by Melonhead175). I suggest listening to it.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018

I'd heard of Alestorm before, they've performed at a couple of local Pirate Festivals if I remember the band correctly. 

The rest though, who knew?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2018

Love this site! I stumbled upon this a couple of years back. Today I click on roots rock and hear John Hiatt, one of my all time favs! Clicked on Discofox....well just because its discofox- duh!... and heard Jurgen Peter - "Mary Jane Alpen Party Music". Still have tears in my eyes from laughing. Thanks for the distraction @Meg Holbrook

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018

I'm going to scurry off and listen to discofox now @Jack Brickey

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018

Discofox is intense. 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018

Just found Celtic Folk Ska. It wasn't labeled that, but they're called 'Enter the Haggis' 

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2018

Hey Meg, I liked the thought of deep deep tech trance but there is none! :D For your beastmode try some deep darkspy! But doesn't feel that nice if you just listen to it at home. 

Very cool to click through even (and of course as it always is with music and genres) many bands assigned to a genre are definitely very questionable. For example Lamb of God, Sepultura and others never played Nu Metal! :D

But as there is no favorite genre for me (anyone still using LastFM? I have a selection of 3.8k artists gathered over time and plays using Spotify Connect aren't even scrobbled),here's a small selection of bands which can be found in Nu Metal (and are covering everything from Thrash to Groove Metal basically) on that page and can brighten up my day at the moment:

From Nu Metal on the Page: Parkway Drive, Trivium, Lamb of God, System of a Down, Killswitch Engage, Black Stone Cherry, Sepultura, Rise Against, Slipknot, Otep...

Metalcore: Beartooth, Bring Me The Horizon, Architects, Thy Art Is Murder, Emmure, A Day to Remember, The Ghost Inside (Got my first tattoo while listening to them, aah memory lane!), While She Sleeps, Northlane

Progressive Metal: Karnivool, Tool (Not on the side!)

Modern Alternative Rock: Pvris, Biffy Clyro

Recommendation for focus mode music (classical): Ossie Woods (Le Nouveaux Riches) and Ludovico Einaudi (Elements)

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018

I wonder if I misspoke and meant deep progressive trance. I just get in here and clicky clicky. Darkspy sounds epic!! I agree that there's some questionable links, but it's a very cool project. 

My go to service used to be grooveshark (RIP) and now I just kind of piddle around on bandcamp and various other streaming services. 

Otep though, so gooooooooood. More women in metal IMO.  

Glad you had fun poking around @Max Foerster - K15t!

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2018

I guess I will poke around some time soon again @Meg Holbrook! And I recommend visiting a goa party somewhere in the woods to further listen to Goa / Dark Psy... :D But I also have to say that I'm very, very satisfied with the way Spotify suggests music in song radios and playlists to me. Okay, after like 6 years of usage you can hope they know my taste :D

P.S. I really love women in Metal and was looking for bands for a long time, so you maybe also like some of the bands I like: In This Moment, Flyleaf, Nightwish (Tarja!), Jinjer, Butcher Babies, Arch Enemy (Angela AND Alissa), The Letter Black, Dreamstate, Eyes Set To Kill and of course Lacuna Coil

Deleted user July 20, 2018

Loving all the Metal @Max Foerster - K15t

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2018

Thanks @[deleted]! And I didn't even really start :D But I also like plenty of other genres besides Rock/Metal. 

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2018

@Max Foerster - K15t and @Meg Holbrook, thanks for mentioning both Last.fm and Grooveshark, it's like I'm back when I was 17-ish spending hours on those!

lastfm.png

I moved to Grooveshark once Radioblogclub (not sure it was known anywhere else than France) closed, and am now happily using Spotify!

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2018

Oh your meme... That feeling! So sad :D A was totally crushed when I noticed LastFM does not support Spotify Connect. All my plaaaaaays....  ;)

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2018

I was distraught when they killed grooveshark. So many lists, so carefully curated. 

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2018

@Meg Holbrook, I recently found a picture again I took in 2015 on a festival (Fusion Festival). That's a proper location for goa/darkpsy! :D

fusion.png

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2018

this reminds me so much of Burning Man. All the feels.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2018

Never been to Burning Man and I'm not sure if it's still that good as it got bigger and bigger I suppose. But Fusion is a very important part of my yearly vacation plans if not the most important. Not comparable to "regular" festivals I've been visiting over the years. It's difficult to not have the time of your life there. So I guess that festival means to me, what Burning Man means to you ;) We should exchange stories on Summit! :D

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2018

I won't be in Barcelona this year, but if you make it out to Vegas next year, I'll see you then! I'd love to swap stories. As you can see, I clearly hate the whole place and never want to go back. 

2018-07-31_15-58-11.png

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018

Ok, here are some of my favorite styles and artists. And the picture below is in my honest opinion the great composer in the history of forever. Anything he produces is GOLD!

celtic: Enya, Celtic Woman, Ronan Hardiman, Bill Whelan

soundtrack: John Williams, Alan Silvestri, Hans Zimmer, Klaus Badelt, Alan Menken

christian music: Andrew Peterson, Rich Mullins, Newsboys, Audio Adrenaline, Michael Card, Switchfoot

comic: "Weird Al" Yankovic

pop: Ed Sheeran

pop rock: Five For Fighting, Creed, Dave Matthews Band

new age: Yanni, Jim Brickman

metal: Metallica

operatic pop: Josh Groban

lounge: Harry Connick Jr, Michael Buble, Frank Sinatra

PS_JohnWilliams_615x400.jpg

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2018

Hi @Meg Holbrook

thanks for sharing this link and definitly something I have to share with my dad (who is absolutly into music). This will give me a lot of fun over rainy weekend :)  

What I found out yet - German music is so not my thing - wanna know why, click on Deep Discofox :D

... that brings me to a problem, I won tickets for Sarah Connor for tonight and she will be singing in German ...

And no - it's not the Sarah Connor you see here :D - that would be awesome! I'm talking about German Pop Queen

terminator-2-pc-games_b2article_artwork.jpg

Deleted user July 20, 2018

Ok, here it goes!

Classical: Thomas Bergensen, Ludovico Einaudi, Jermy Soule, Nick Phoenix

NU Metal: Papa Roach, Trivium, Disturbed, Korn, Static-X, Sevendust, Soil, Egypt Central, Stone Sour

Indie Rock: Snow Patrol, Arctic Moneys, Catfish & the Bottlemen, Cage the Elephant, Elbow, Biffy Clyro, Kooks, Alt-J, Kodaline, Of Monsters & Men, Lumineers

Alt Rock: Foo Fighters, White Stripes, RATM, NIN, Clutch

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2018

Yeeah! Music! That is my life :) .. I cannot work, drive, eat .. live without it! :) Thank you @Meg Holbrook for inspiration with this site. Thanks to that I was able to get back and redefine my playlist with couple of new songs.

My one favorite artist? It actually may not exist! I like every type of music that is released. From Classic up to hard rock. It depends on my frame of mind. But I listen most to all kind of electronic music.

@Fabienne Gerhardmentioned that she cannot listen German music. Not sure why since many artist are from Germany and they are relly good.. One of the best IMHO .. Hans Zimmer. I think everyone hear at least one song since he creates awesome soundtracks for coolest movies and games! 

That is the guy ..

hans.jpg

Hmm.. And you know what? Yes! Maybe that is really my favorite artist. He is even having his own stars floating over galaxy ;)  https://minorplanetcenter.net/db_search/show_object?object_id=495253 That mean something :)

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2018

@Mirek 

I‘m just back from the concert -> was not that bad I have to say

What I meant with German music that I absolutly never  ever gonna listen to is Schlager & Ballermann (don‘t know the english word - maybe it‘s Deep Discofox?!)

Of course we have awesome artists and really great music - but this sort of music is just not my thing

But hey everyone should listen to whatever they like and males them feel good! Love & Peace and listen on

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2018

I played on Every Noise for hours last night. Music is such a huge part of by work day I dug deep into obscure genres and found stuff I never new existed (Pirate Metal really is a thing!) I listen to all types of music, depending on my mood and what I'm doing, so this was a lot of fun to explore. 

My workday usually starts with a cup of coffee and Classical music. Lately I find myself listening to movie scores...Today it's "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" that is keeping pace with me while I update the weekly status reports.  I never really paid any attention to the music in a movie and how it catches you up in the scene until those movies came out; specifically how I felt right there with the Nine Walkers as they fled through Moria as the goblin horde pursued. Even though I knew the scene by heart from the books I still held my breath as the music built and built and built the tension until Gandalf confronts the Barlog and falls. 

Music like that evokes so many emotions, helps engage the listener in the story, and, even years later, makes me hold my breath as Gandalf hangs of the bridge with the weight of a demon pulling him towards certain death. Every time I hear that piece I also hear Gandalf: 

fly.JPG

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2018

I missed your post somehow @Scott Theus, but just reading that last paragraph gave me shivers! Man, that scene is so epic. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events