Friday Fun: Do you like fireworks? What's your favourite?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2020

Greetings Fellow Community Members!

Yesterday was Canada Day, and Saturday is Independence Day.  Given that we are right in the middle of what is normally full of fireworks I thought I'd ask all of you what your opinions are of them.

This year was the first that I didn't get involved in any fireworks, but I usually spend a small sum on some lovely pyrotechnics.

I don't have a favorite type (colourful, loud, lots of movement) but I do like spending a little more money on getting the bigger boxes of coordinated shots.

One of my favourites in that category (in Canada) is called "Act of Valour" - 35-Shot Fanning Cake fires 7 Rounds of 5 shots, with giant bursting and crackling Chrysanthemums and full sky Finale!

I know fireworks aren't for everyone, and if they aren't your thing, I'd love to know how you celebrate national holidays (is it food? I bet it's food ;) ).

To all of my American friends: Happy Independence Day!

Have a great and wonderful weekend everyone!

8 comments

Comment

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 2, 2020

Growing up we always had a big party at our house on July 4th and New Years Eve! All attendees would bring their favorite fireworks and once it got dark, they'd start playing. :) I was always too scared to light them, so I mainly stuck to Sparklers on the driveway. I tried a Roman Candle once and dropped it in the middle of the street because I was scared - needless to say my mom wasn't a fan of me lighting them anyway. Haha

Now that I've moved away from my hometown we don't do fireworks. They're not allowed out here, so there's usually one big show that the city puts on. Since we have the little ones and don't want to stay out too late we celebrate with good food. Chicken wings for 4th of July and homemade pizza for New Year's Eve!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2020

@Cassie Mayes I totally understand the case with little ones.  We have one ourselves now which was one of the other factors to not doing fireworks this year.

When you say you dropped a roman candle in the middle of the street at least you were having a "Hogwarts Battle" (yes this is a thing people do <facepalm>)

tumblr_npybntiFhp1qg51mgo1_500.gif

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 2, 2020

Fireworks were exciting when I was a small child but as the safety requirements increased (due to idiots harming animals and property) the amount of light, colour, and wonder reduced.

I would like firework displays to be restricted to large scale events only. They generate so much pollution (light and noise when let off and the residue afterwards), they are disruptive for a couple of weeks even though there is only one offical night for letting them off (outside of large scale events), even when following the rules it is very cruel to many pets.

Like # people like this
Martina James July 2, 2020

I like fireworks once in a while - once a year and prefer the big, but not very loud ones that light up the sky with a lot of tiny lights.

Scott Englund July 3, 2020

Love fireworks (on days like July 4th when you expect them, that is) and never thought about different fireworks having names. So after some light research, the name of the firework I like best is called a Dragon's Egg as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHGB6C19oUI

Hope everyone enjoys the Independence Day weekend and is safe above all. 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2020

The fireworks were cancelled in my province this year but that didn't stop people from having them, across the water it was a full fireworks show for 30 mins at three different spots and that is just what was in my viewpoint. I am sure many others had their own show across the Island. I must say it was almost as beautiful as the official ones each year.

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2020

In my state, non-professional fireworks are illegal. That doesn't actually stop anyone, and I always end up with the wrappers from someone else's fun in my yard to clean up :(

I enjoy professional shows, but always feel bad for pets and people with PTSD who have to hear their neighbors setting off loud bangs at all hours for a week before and after the 4th holiday. If you know you have issues with them, you can make plans to avoid the main holiday, but there's nothing you can do when some idiot is in their backyard down the street at 2 AM every night.

Miguel Jesus _Team Files_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 13, 2020

I love fireworks :D but only at appropriate times and done by professionals. 
I like them big and following music <3 In Porto, Portugal there's a big party from the 23rd to 24th of June, the "noite de São João". It's the best fireworks. This year was cancelled so only memories: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVs9TvcFCM4/

Like Kat Warner likes this
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2021

I like to visit in each year the  St. Petersburg's White Nights festivities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HLnmiT6eDA

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events