Friday Fun: Day Dreaming.... What would you be?

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2019

Astronaunt Beer.png

Doing some Day Dreaming today! 

Assume you didn't need to make a salary, and all the things you needed or wanted were covered, including education, child care, etc, but you had to have a job -- what would you do/be?

For a serious job,  I'd be a museum curator.  I love old things, their stories, the places they were, the people they were around.  Its absolutely fascinating to me.  I also love to teach people about these things, now they were used, where/when they are from.  I love taking care of them and keeping them ready to introduce them to people who are just seeing and learning about them for the first time.  Maybe when I'm older, I can do something fun in a museum again. 

If I'm going for the completely wacky, silly day dreams?  A princess roller-skater, unicorn trainer!  I mean that's totally right up my inner 7 year olds ally.  I'd be golly gosh darned good at it too!  

What's your Career or Not so Day Job, Day Dreams?

28 comments

Comment

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 14, 2019

Community management at Atlassian truly is a dream job for me, but if I wasn't doing that, I would be running poetry workshops, probably at the collegiate level. I've done that job in the past and really loved it, but I don't love bureaucracy, grading endless freshman composition papers, or trying to live on an adjunct's salary.  Ah, academia. 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 14, 2019

Oh and since this is my dream job, I would get to travel to cities all over the world to teach these. I could move to a different country each semester. Oh, dreamy! 

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 14, 2019

As a practical real-world dream job - it is pretty much my current job as a Delivery Lead for TechTime. I'd love to be able to dedicate more time to the Atlassian Community and training.

My first instinct, if money was not an object, would be to volunteer at please like budget advisory services, Citizens Advice Bureau, retail stores for charities etc however I know I would overcommit myself emotionally and time-wise.

Like # people like this
Poorvi Jhawar
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 14, 2019

My practical dream job is to be an entrepreneur. But something in the field of using machine learning or artificial intelligence easy to use for marketing. 

If money wasn't a concern, I'd like to be a social entrepreneur, have a business of my own with a revolutionary idea that contributes towards the society in any shape or form. It could be protecting women against violence, increase in adoption for children, saving the environment. 

Like # people like this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2019

Oh! nice one @Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_ 

Mine is very simple, I write code for living, which is a half lie. Truly speaking, I write code because 'Code is poetry' for me. So, no matter what, I will be writing code, I do that in my dreams also.

Like # people like this
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2019

Nice Article and super photo!

My dream is "professional traveling". I would like travel around the world, get to know sights and new cultures and people would still like to pay me :-D

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

Yeah I'm the complete opposite, I find travelling terrifying.  I live vicariously through my friends that love to travel.

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Shaun Sheehan November 18, 2019

@Jimmy Seddon - Vegas Summit, though! :D

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

@Shaun Sheehan yes I know ;).  But, it was hard to cope with the amount of anxiety I had leading up to the trip and once I had landed.  I didn't actually start to feel comfortable until I made it into my room.

Like # people like this

I can appreciate that.  I'm glad you faced your fear and did it anyway - it was great to meet you! :)

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2019

I am now working a part of my dream job :) My dream job is organizing events 24/7. I love every little detail that exists on each occasion.

Some events lack spirit, which is making them boring and ready to be forgotten after 2 to 3 minutes. 

My other dream job is having a cheesecake shop with homemade cheesecakes (cooked by me, of course). One of my hobbies is cooking, and I hope that it is just a matter of time this dream to become true!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

That sounds amazing!

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2019

I would like to run a dive shop in some tropical destination and spend my day taking divers out to the reef. As I get older that becomes less realistic so my second thought is to retire to an island (Ocracoke Island, NC) and open "Jack's Boat Trash and Bar". All I serve is great beers and crab boils on big picnic tables where friends come to catch up and enjoy each others company. I will have a special table w/ a view of the sound for all of my Community friends.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2019

Just tell me when the Grand Opening is, and I'm on my way!

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2019

Me too - that's my kind of place!

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

Beer, Crab, Picnic Tables... I'm in!

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2019

I can relate to @Jack Brickey's dream wholeheartedly.

I want to build a two-masted gaff rigged topsail schooner and sail the oceans to escape from the World of Man. 

I won't have to work because I'll either be independently wealthy or there will be a Zombie Apocalypse. But, since I have to have a job...I'll sell passage between islands.

1170x600_427_169715143459c3e1935faaa.jpg

Like # people like this
Ed Gaile
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2019

Travel the world teaching and learning BBQ/Grilling techniques.  I am obsessed with learning about different people and cultures via their food.   The dream is in motion...

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2019

And your BBQ Sauce is wonderful!  Time to make some more pulled pork!

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2019

Great topic @Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_ - I have to chime in that like many, I'm working my practical dream job now.  I get to meet many new great people, travel to new places, and work with great tools.  My co-workers are like family and my company has awesome principles.  My day-dream job, which has the potential to become real some day in the not-to-distant future, is to be a professional boat driver and waterski, wakeboard, wake-surf, etc. instructor.  Given how much time this lake-rat spends on the water now, it's a natural fit and would be an easy transition. Here's a picture of my "dream office" for both now and the future....
sunset_280-wallpaper-2880x1800.jpg
Happy Friday everyone!

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
November 15, 2019

Did you know New Zealand has an official wizard?

In 1990, Prime Minister Mike Moore proclaimed him the Official Wizard of New Zealand, appointed to “protect the Government, cast out evil spirits and upset fanatics”.

Awarded the Queen’s Service Medal in 2009 for services to the community – “notable for reviving the ancient art of rhetoric” – he is still paid an annual $16,000 honorarium by the council.

It looks like he already has an apprentice so the dream job hunt continues :P 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

@Kat Warner 
I did!  and I still think that is super cool.  Maybe another apprentice is needed.  You should still go for it ;) 

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
November 18, 2019

I like being a person so I will leave the claim to be a "living work of art" to the Wizard of Christchurch.

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2019

A really good topic @Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_ 

My dream job (day dreaming one) is becoming a Scooba Diving instructor. I would be able to meet new adventure seekers and would also be able to meet the beauty that exists underwater each time when I will teach someone Scooba diving.

Later when I become older, I want to have a cafe serving lip smacking sandwiches and coffee. Cooking is my passion and someday I will definitely have my own cafe :-)

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2019

Love this topic so much, and that photo is magical! I am living my practical dream job now, as a Free Agent, with Canada's Free Agents where I get to do assignments across Government where my skills and passions align. Another dream job would be to have an animal sanctuary, and take in abused or unwanted animals and give them a dream life.

Farm-Sanctuary-Pig.jpg

A life in Hawaii giving surf lessons on the beach would be pretty dreamy as well :)

surf.jpg

Like # people like this
Vinod Ramadoss
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2019

When everything is covered and i had to have a job then it would be to go back to my native to do my ancestors profession of farming fulltime.

It is a nice calm country side, with no rush or hurry, i somehow find peace with myself whenever am there, so this would be for me.

But, there is one catch, i dont find my favourite beer brand there , so this is definitely a challenge :).

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

I love this, as an Ohio farm country gal, turned city folk.  I miss many things about being away from the busy city.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

Sorry I'm late to the party on this one.  @Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_ this is a fantastic post!

From a serious perspective, I'm positioning myself to move into my dream role at my current company as a Tools Developer/Administrator.  I'm really passionate about learning all the features and functionality that various products we use can offer and coming up with a plan of how our users can take advantage of that.  While I have been doing this for the past 5 years as my current company, it hasn't been my primary responsibility so I'm looking forward to that happening.

From a true "Day Dream" perspective, I think the best way to describe what I'd do is I'd become a full time student.  I enjoy dabbling in new programming languages or learning about new things.  I wouldn't be a master of anything but I would try to learn something new every day.

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

If you consider cloning yourself, please send a few copies! I'll be glad to have colleagues like you :)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

Thanks @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_! I have been asked about cloning myself here so that we can get more things done.  Sadly, I haven't figured that one out yet :(

Like # people like this
Dara November 18, 2019

I was gonna give my own answer, but yes, just this! Realistic dream job: More development. Dream job: Just my own projects and learning stuff :D.

Like # people like this
Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

Great post @Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_ .

I'd  love to be an intern at the unicorn trainer academy. Are you taking applications? 😁

Jokes aside..  i'd love to sit out with my ukelele" and sing songs..  maybe a jingle about Atlassian :)

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

@Sajit Nair  Absolutely!  I will be sure to make you the first person I call when the Academy opens its doors!  :D

I really enjoy being a Scrum Master and coaching teams through improving their processes, setting and reaching goals, and reflecting and having fun along the way! 

If I had to pick a different "career", it would be one where I could still enable and support others. If I won the lottery, I'd really love to road trip across country, see new sights, and anonymously help the people I meet along the way realize their dreams (I will do this when I retire, just on a much smaller scale in proportion to my available retirement funds ;) ) 

I've also thought it would be fun to buy a large warehouse, turn part of it into a shop for van builds/upgrades (with bunk-style housing available for folks during their build) and make another part of it into an industrial/loft style coffee shop where people can not only get a cup of joe, but also use available space for remote work and community classes and sharing their skills with others. The challenge would be to noise-proof the van build shop...

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

I love these Ideas!  I have a 1986 Ford Econoline that could use a little love. :D

Like # people like this

@Kimberly Deal - I've seen people make some pretty cool campers out of those!

Like # people like this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2019

@Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_ Honestly, your picture that you posted (minus the beer) would be my dream job. I've always had a fascination with space and would give an arm to be an astronaut ... except that I would only have one arm then and I'm sure NASA requires you to have two arms to be an astronaut. So, maybe a pinky toe ... you can probably still be an astronaut missing a pinky toe.

My other dream job would have been to be one of the Mythbuster interns. Every time I watched that show I thought to myself how could you possibly have a better job?

Like # people like this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2019

@Davin Studer I see nothing in here about needing all ten toes...or both arms for that matter. Based on that alone I'd say your a shoe-in. 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2019

I know, right? Mythbusting had to be just the greatest time.  I still love watching that show.  

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2019

My day dream job would be helping entrepreneurs in third world countries live out their dreams.  Basically helping them build their idea into a business. 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2019

That is such a wonderful idea!  I hope you day dream job comes true!

Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 22, 2019

I would totally be a camp ranger somewhere. Middle of the woods, no people around for most of the time, and then tons of people who need my help during events....leading back to my peace and quiet in the outdoors. 

I'm still waiting for the day that we get the big EMP that wipes out all tech and we have to figure it out again. I actually hope this happens in my lifetime. I know, I'm sick and need help LOL 

Like # people like this
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2019

In the grand scheme of things an EMP is much better than a zombie apocalypse. At least we'd be able to figure out how to survive without having to worry about getting eaten and turned into one of the walking dead.

Javier Fernandez _Madrid_ November 25, 2019

I would love to be a writer to develop ideas and create books that inspire people.

Like # people like this
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2019

motivational speaker. I think it would be awesome to travel and motivate people to help them bring the best out of them.

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2020

This is a good one, I used to imagine and pretend to myself that I am giving a motivational speech to a big audience. Especially, when no one is at my home 

-Sri

Like Emily Koch likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2020

I've always wanted to be a Project management teacher. Hands-on learning assured where all my students would learn to be 'Do-ers' as well as thinkers!

Maybe someday 🤔

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2020

Good Luck @Fernando Bordallo 

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2020

I have always been interested in teaching.  I plan on getting my PhD in Industrial Engineering one day and doing some teaching on the side or after I retire.  I really like the concept of teaching others how to optimize processes and their organizations.    

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2020

Wow, All the best with your PhD.

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2020

Day Dreaming.... What would you be?

I wanted to be Chef ( Although I haven't done any course still ) and Also, I want to travel to different places to the world and then taste different foods. 

-Sri

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events