Friday Fun: Calling all Musical Theater lovers!

Saralie June 3, 2022

Hey hey hey and a Happy Friday! 

I'm currently listening to a playlist called "theater kid 5 years removed" and it brings back so many memories! (see what I did there?) 

giphy

I've been told that I have a flair for the dramatics & I strongly believe my biopic should be a movie musical. 

So I have to ask: What are your favorite musicals to watch, jam out in the car to, or even performed in?  

13 comments

Comment

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2022

@Saralie 

I've been listening to La La Land on repeat, it's like smooth candy 🍬

I was lucky enough to see Neil Patrick Harris perform Into the Woods - I've enjoyed that musical since I was a kid!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 3, 2022

I was just telling Saralie I bought tickets to Into the Woods for when we'll be in town later this month (see below) and I also saw NPH doing Rent in Los Angeles years ago. He was terrific! 

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2022

giphy

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 3, 2022

I could talk about this all day but I only have 5 minutes.  Rude!

Favorite live musical performances: It's a tie between Hamilton with the original Broadway cast (Kim and Kanye were in the audience) and Into the Woods with my brother playing Jack, the first time I ever 1) saw the show or 2) met my brother. 

Least favorite musicals: Grease (stage version only), Falsettos, a version of La Cage Aux Folles that was so bad we called it "La Cage Aux Fail" 

Favorite movie musicals: Hello Dolly, Cabaret, Tick Tick Boom, Hairspray, Grease 2 lol

Favorite Tony award performances: Brotherhood of Man, Don't Break the Rules, Bosom Buddies, Ring of Keys, Anything Goes, Bigger

Favorite musicals where I love the songs but have issues with the book: Spring Awakening, Dear Evan Hansen, Guys and Dolls, Once on this Island

Favorite performers: Norbert Leo Butz, Aaron Tveit, Audra McDonald, Sutton Foster, Daveed Diggs, Joshua Henry, Jonathan Groff, Annaleigh Ashford, Bea Arthur, Joanna Gleason, Renee Elise Goldsberry 

Favorite show overall: Into the Woods

gleason.gif

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2022

Loved Tick Tick Boom!

Like # people like this
Saralie June 3, 2022

I feel the same way about Dear Even Hansen. I couldn't bear to watch the movie version. 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 6, 2022

@Saralie I was really turned off by Ben Platt's interviews about how only he could play Evan Hansen so who cares if he was 27 in a bad wig playing a high schooler.  I loved him before that and love his voice but it was a turnoff. 

I probably will watch it eventually. I mean, I saw Cats, so. 

Like # people like this
Luke Hostetler June 3, 2022

Chicago might be my new favorite, but Les Mis is just impossibly timeless.

After convincing myself that musicals were kind of dumb, I ended up watching the 2012 movie, then read the book, then did each of those things again 🤷‍♂️

That said, Dear Evan Hansen wins the award for best-musical-soundtrack-I-listen-to-but-still-haven't-seen.

les-mis-les-miserable.gif

Like # people like this
Saralie June 3, 2022

It always starts out as just one thing you love and then you fall into the rabbit hole! 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 6, 2022

@Luke Hostetler Les Miz was definitely my first love and I have seen some amazing productions of it! I hated the movie because my favorite character is Javert* and Russell Crowe SUCKED. Sorry, not sorry.

*I love emotionally tormented antagonists; Judas is my favorite in Jesus Christ Superstar

Like # people like this
Luke Hostetler June 6, 2022

@Monique vdB Stars is my favorite song from the whole show, but Russell Crowe is just not much of a singer. On that, we agree 😭

Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2022

I've never been in a musical... I really hate them! 😤
They are the worst.....

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2022

HAH!!!!
LIES!!!!!!!
🤪🥸🥳

I've been in more musicals than I can shake a stick at... Hyjack Over hygenia, Grease, Cats, Bugsy Malone, Jason & His Technicoloured Dreamcoat, Guys & Dolls, The Music Man, Sweeney Todd; just a few of my faves I've been in!

The one that always slipped my grasp though was RENT. 😭😪 Never got the oppy to star in that.
I played the Original Broadway Cast CDs so much in the car way back when, I burnt through two sets! Yikes!

If I had scored tickets that day, this next bit might end with Wicked on Broadway, but the best West End / Broadway show I've ever witnessed was MAMMA MIA down in London... original cast. It left me breathless. 😨🙊
Which is simultaneously why i cannot stand, absolutely hate, and totally loathe the Hollywood version. Utter tripe. 🤬

Oh, and here comes some controversy.... BURLESQUE is (almost) the greatest cinematic musical of all time. Totally underrated.
The #1 slot goes of course to the one and only ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 6, 2022

omg Mamma Mia is such a guilty pleasure for me! And of course you would love Rocky Horror, that's a perfect Fun Man Andy musical. 😉

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2022

100% a Fun Man Andy musical!!! I love it.

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

>Jason & His Technicoloured Dreamcoat

😅 I'm picturing a mashup of Joseph and Medea. Jason tells his wife he's dumping her for the king's daughter, and instead of killing their children, she sews him up in a huge patchwork coat and sells him into slavery in Egypt.

Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2022

@Esther Strom I would totally see that musical

Like Esther Strom likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2022

It's been years since I have been to a musical in person. But I have been a couple of times on Broadway in New York, and once in Chicago. 

But I am very old school - Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, Holiday Inn

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 6, 2022

@John Funk nothing wrong with the classics! (Except Carousel, I hate Carousel. Hahaha.)

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2022

Favorite Musical of All Time: Les Misérables. I took my then girlfriend, and now wife, to a Broadway performance for her 16th birthday. We got all dressed up like adults and hit the city in style - taking in the matinee and then dinner off Broadway. I also bought her the CD box set of the score, and like @Fun Man Andy she burned thorugh (2) sets of CD's. (remember CD's skipping?)

Favorite Musical Adapted from Film: Newsies. We don't own a TV, but occasionally do a family movie night and my pre-teen and early teenage boys absolutley loved it when we showed it a few years back, so much so that for weeks after they were acting out scenes, repeating funny lines and actually singing the songs!

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2022

Amen to that @Andy Gladstone ! And this is also why Vinyl never died... CDs are temporary; most of my Vinyl (some from my father, and made in the 60s) is still going strong!

Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2022

90% of my record collection is musical theatre cast recordings, many of which I already have in digital format, but it's just BETTER on vinyl.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2022

I have always liked the music from Phantom of the Opera.  

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
June 3, 2022

The first time I saw POTO on Broadway, I almost ACCIDENTALLY kicked the actor playing the Phantom (Hugh Panaro) in the face after my dad and I got a backstage tour. Oops? 

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
June 3, 2022

This discussion is my jam! Hardcore musical theatre nerd over here... I liked musicals before they were cool

The list of musicals I can't stand is probably shorter than my list of faves, tbh, but let's try to lead with the positive...

Top favorites have gotta be The Phantom of the OperaLes MiserablesMoulin Rouge (the movie, that is—I haven't seen the stage version yet, though I've been saying they needed to make one since 2001), The Scarlet Pimpernel, most things Sondheim (especially Passion), and of course old school hits from Lerner & Loewe and Rodgers & Hammerstein (My Fair Lady, Cinderella, The Sound of Music). 

Less well-known musicals that have a special place in my heart are Aspects of Love (one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's few flops), Jane Eyre: The Musical (basically, anything composed by Paul Gordon is fantastic, IMHO), and Carnival (same story as the 1953 film Lili starring Leslie Caron).

I was very serious about musical theatre as a youth™ and seriously considered pursuing it professionally. But I never wanted to end up hating what I loved and I felt like tying my livelihood to my passion would end badly. Also, being a bel canto trained soprano, most 21st century musicals are just not written with my voice type in mind—Broadway loves belters! 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
June 6, 2022

@Elizabeth Barr I heard they had to change up Music Man to fit Sutton Foster's voice because Marian is supposed to be a soprano and she's a genius, but not a soprano! Poor sopranos, missing out on a big role on that one. 

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
June 6, 2022

*sobbing* YEAH. Makes me extra sad because Rebecca Luker, who was Marion in the last big Music Man revival, just passed away recently. She was truly an old school soprano in the best way.

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

You may be the only other person I know besides me and my college roommate who has even heard of Scarlet PimpernelWhen I Look at You was one of my repertory pieces sophomore year 😊.

And Rebecca Luker was one of my idols - another one of my rep pieces was Come to my Garden from The Secret Garden. I saw a video she made a few months before she passed away; so sad, but she was so classy and dignified even then.

Like Elizabeth Barr likes this
Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
June 16, 2022

"When I Look at You" was one of my pieces as well! And SP is such an underrated musical. I knew of the book series first, fell head over heels in love with the show, and have been lucky to see it onstage a few times.

She really was such a tremendous talent. And funny too! One of her interviews with Seth Rudetsky talking about her Phantom days was amazing. 

Viktoriya Borisova
Community Manager
June 7, 2022

I always cry multiple times throughout Les Misérables. Saw the movie with a new friend and COULD NOT hold myself together. It was 100% a bonding experience. 

I LOVE Anastasia (saw it twice as a musical and way too many times to count as a movie). The song Stay, I Pray You was a deeply sentimental hit. It's rare to hear a song about the experience of being an immigrant - loving your homeland, but leaving because you want to live in a place with more opportunity for your success. I still get goosebumps when I hear it.

Mamma Mia & The Sound of Music are iconic repeats with my mom. 

HAMILTON WAS FANTASTIC.
I saw it live with the original cast and sang along to every👏single👏song👏

Musicals are a magical experience. It feels so wholesome to be exposed to impressive skills and beautiful worlds. 

giphy.gif

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
June 10, 2022

Does The Great Gatsby count?

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

I'm a theatre kid from way back. At one time I thought I would make it to Broadway; got my degree in theatre (double major in performance and scene design) and everything. It turns out that although I loved the work, I didn't love the lifestyle. But I still love me some musicals.

Like @Elizabeth Barr ,my list of dislikes is way shorter than the likes. The only one I've seen that I truly can't stand is The Sound of Music. When I was growing up, it used to be played round the clock around the holidays on one of the only TV stations we got, and I just can't hear a single song from it now without wanting to break something 😅.

I like most of the big hits, but I really have a soft spot for the ones that tried to be big and flopped. Starlight ExpressAspects of LoveJekyll & Hyde. I do think my favorite of all time is South Pacific. I know there are problematic aspects, but the music is gorgeous, and I wish I could play You've Got to be Taught to all of the supremacist groups out there.

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
June 16, 2022

Aspects of Love!!!!! Someone else who knows of it 😍

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2022

I know this thread is old, but I just saw this article and had to share, @Elizabeth Barr . Not sure what to think of it, but I kind of feel like Michael Ball should find something new and original instead of having this entire show reconfigured so he can play George and still sing Love Changes Everything...

Also, "Ball and Kent are keen to strip it of its more saccharin moments that were fine 30 years ago but would sink it now." Bets on whether the mermaid song gets the axe? 🧜‍♀️🤣

Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
October 21, 2022

Oh. My. Gosh. I am slightly terrified.

THEY BETTER NOT TOUCH THE MERMAID SONG. I WILL REVOLT.

Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
June 22, 2022

UPDATE: I just discovered Galavant this past weekend and I am SO MAD I didn't know of it when it was on (2014 to 2016-ish). Medieval musical comedy with music by Alan Menken!

galavant-gif-8

How did we as a society allow it to be cancelled after only two seasons???? :sob: 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2022

Monty Python-esque?

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
June 22, 2022

Absolutely, @Andy Gladstone !

It's hilarious, heartwarming, tongue-in-cheek, amazingly acted, etc. 10/10 would recommend.

Probably my fave song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLYiyK7uqUE

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2022

Oh, it's amazing, @Andy Gladstone

If you're at all musically inclined, you'll end up with a headful of earworms, but they're all enjoyable. And the episodes are so short that you can watch an entire season in a weekend.

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
June 22, 2022

SO. MANY. EARWORMS.

Like Viktoriya Borisova likes this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2022

It's available on Hulu, and it's almost Friday... just sayin' 😅

(I started my third rewatch last night, thanks!)

Like # people like this
Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
June 23, 2022

It's so rewatchable!

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

A little bit late, but I'll go Jesus Christ Superstar!

What an amazing performance by Ted Neely and Carl Anderson! Still sending shivers down my spine!

Screenshot 2022-09-22 114635.png

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events