Friday Fun: Arts and crafts!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 10, 2021

I am binge watching the third season of Making It, would love to hear what kinds of things y'all make!

I've mentioned before that I do watercolor; I picked up the hobby during quarantine and have especially been enjoying portraiture.  Here's my before and after of John Ritter from a few months ago; I may take another stab at it this weekend.

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 12.42.04 PM.png

So, do you build furniture? Make jewelry? Bedazzle motorcycles? show me what you make!

13 comments

Comment

Alice M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2021

I am all about making things!  Here is my current project ... a crocheted blanket.  I'm about half way through it.

blanket.jpeg

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 10, 2021

@Alice M omg it's gorgeous! I LOVE the colors and that unusual pattern of the lines. 

Like Alice M likes this
Alice M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2021

Thanks, @mo !  There are 7 colors in the blanket.  I am repeating them in a random order to add visual interest. The chevrons look super complicated, but it's actually a very easy crochet pattern.  Fun and fast and colorful.  Exactly my kind of project!

Like Monique vdB likes this
Alice M
Atlassian Team
September 10, 2021

Also, @mo I am blown away at your watercolor progress.  Can't wait to see how much you've progressed since then!  Just goes to show that practice makes perfect.

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2021

I love this topic! I'm a knitter, and let me tell you - I've finished more projects during this pandemic than I did in the 5 years prior put together 😁

Here are a few of my recent favorites:

This one is a 7-foot-long scarf.

sharonshow.jfifhugshot.jfif

This one is freakin' huge - that's a queen-size bed sheet it's laying on.fade.jfif

And of course, the common theme: they're all purple-based; it IS mah signature color!

Like # people like this
Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
September 10, 2021

I have more unfinished projects and piles of wool and fabric, than I have finished stuff. I need a hard deadline to get motivated.

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2021

Oh, there's still plenty of unfinished stuff and a lot of unused yarn! Just like my Netflix queue, I'd have to live to 400 to get through it all, and I keep adding to it 😅

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2021

I enjoy working on old mechanical things like small engines.  I spend a lot of time purchasing old motorcycles and scooters then fixing them up so they run again and are usable.  In the last year, I completed 2 bikes and a scooter.  Trying to find my next project now and am thinking about doing an old car. 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 13, 2021

@Brant Schroeder I knew someone around here probably bedazzled motorcycles! I assume bedazzling is part of your process.

Like Brant Schroeder likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2021

Bedazzled would be sweet, I bet it would do wonders for resale value.

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
September 13, 2021

🤣 my Dad rides motorbikes and he'd be horrified if someone wanted to bedazzle his much loved bike

Solutions Partner
September 10, 2021

Building a beehive! Yeah, OK I'm cheating and just assembling and painting a kit, but still. Ill post a photo when I'm finished!

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2021

Oh, how cool! Is it just decorative, or will you actually be keeping bees?

Paul Donohoe September 11, 2021

Yep, going to keep bees. Want them to pollinate my orchard and get honey. This is my first go at it and got a flowhive - a beehive for dummies! Not sure how long it will be before I get honey. Looking forward to getting it set up and some bees in!

NOTE: for some reason Im logged in as husband, but it is actually Linda here!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 13, 2021

@Linda Milne_Togetha Group_ omg this is so cool and definitely not cheating! Please post progress pictures and bee reports. 

Like Esther Strom likes this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2021

Well, I used to compose music for films, video games, as well as for my own fun. So here are a couple of link for you to listen to:

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
September 11, 2021

Wow, that is amazing!!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 13, 2021

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ wow!!!!! I'm floored, your work is incredible. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2021

Oohh stop it! You'll make me blush! :)

Bridget
Community Manager
September 13, 2021

I love the Arctic Monkeys, especially your covers!! SO cool thanks for sharing

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2021

I love cooking and I lived trying recipes, changing them in my own way and experimenting with flavors, textures and writing my own recipes.

For example, here you have the photo of some spaghetti carbonara, with a small change, I have added garlic and the spaghetti are spicy, there was nothing left ...

Spaghettis.jpg

My guests enjoyed them

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 13, 2021

I am the opposite of this, I can only cook with very specific directions, which is probably why I am more successful at baking! This looks delicious and sounds quite creative! How cool! 

Jo Trudgen September 12, 2021

I've always been fairly crafty, and end up spending more on the supplies than if I bought it outright - but where's the fun in that?

Recently I started a veggie garden and quickly ran out of room for the herbs, so turned an Ikea clothing rack into a space for hanging pots - so obviously had to take up macrame...

Yesterday while wandering through Spotlight I decided to have a go making some earrings. I've now got eight new pairs!macrame2.jpgearrings.jpg

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2021

I love the plant rack! Summer is pretty much over here, and I unfortunately can't grow anything indoors due to lack of light, but I'm keeping this in mind for next year.

I just remembered that I used to do macrame like that when I was in Girl Scouts in the early 80's. I think our rope was thicker, but I seem to recall making plant hangers. Maybe I'll do some of that over the winter if I need a knitting break.

Also: welcome to the Community!

Like Jo Trudgen likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 13, 2021

@Jo Trudgen wow! I have a succulent garden which is the most I can handle without having all my plants die. Have periodically tried herbs but they all also died. Eventually I gave up and now we have a gardener. 

I love the earrings! Especially the giant colorful disks right in the middle. So fun! 

Jo Trudgen September 13, 2021

@Monique vdB they're mine too!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2021

I am a DIYer. I am a woodworker but also like to build crafts at times. Here is a lamp I created a while back that has lightbulb climbers. The climbers are taking the last bit of material up to complete the lamp shade. You can see a bit of my dog house camper I made as well. 🙃

FBD6BA8C-465B-45AF-A8FA-9345098891CA.jpeg2BA816A1-610F-42A8-81FF-17F385A84D74.jpeg

Like # people like this
Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2021

Those are super cute. Very creative of you. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 13, 2021

@Jack Brickey really cool! You might enjoy Making It too. Hosted by woodworker Nick Offerman :) 

Like Esther Strom likes this
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2021

Nice!!

Solutions Partner
September 13, 2021

Brilliant!!!

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2021

I do a lot of different kinds of needlework, cross-stitch, knitting, swedish weave, card weaving, amigurumi. Here are some kitty couches I crocheted. My cat on one for scale. I had a lot of fun with those. The third picture also shows a blanket I made. 

20201215_154821.jpg20200528_102020.jpg20200618_093953.jpg

I have also started braid jesses for Falconry for a friend of mine. Still working on perfecting the craft. I don't seem to have a picture handy. I'll post one later if I find a pic. 

Kathy

Like # people like this
Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2021

Found a picture of some Jesses. This is not a matched pair. I was testing color patterns. 

As I said earlier, still perfecting this process. 

20200916_100806.jpg

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2021

Are those braids done in kumihimo? After growing up making friendship bracelets in the 80's, I decided to try kumihimo, but couldn't manage it. (Yours are very cool!)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 13, 2021

@Kathy Hart okay "kitty couches" are the cutest things I've seen today. @Bridget Sauer you need one (two?) of these for your cats!

Bridget
Community Manager
September 13, 2021

Okay I need to know where to find these couches!! 

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2021

@Esther Strom The jesses are an 8 strand square braid with a split to two 4-strand braid then rejoined to make the keyhole effect. That is needed for Falconry jesses. (I'm not sure what the hole is for, actually)

@Monique vdB Yes, I have three cats, but a couple of those couches were made for friends cats and dogs. LOL

@Bridget The pattern is here: Annie's Catalog  Note, I am not Annie and do not benefit from the sale of this pattern. But if you want me to make you one, that can be arranged. LOL

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2021

Sometimes I try to adopt a new hobby or craft, but I'm inevitably returning to cooking. Making food is my greatest joy and the most successful therapy for grumpiness (which I have like... a lot).

I can give an example with my Tiramisu Eclairs. I spent almost the entire day preparing the flavors, but in the end, it was worth each minute!

(not a coincidence my other hobby is crossfit 😬)

IMG_2319.jpg

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
September 21, 2021

Y-UM!!!!

Like Marjorie likes this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2021

WOW!  I can visually taste the goodness.

Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2021

I am painting again.  And, I crocheted an olive hat (green with red on top for pimento) for my new grandbaby Olive.

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
September 21, 2021

Seriously cool. I knitted a pair of duck feet socks for a friends baby.

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2021

@Linda Milne_Togetha Group_ I bet those were cute!!!  I will try and upload a picture.

Solutions Partner
September 22, 2021

@Marjorie  Ive been trying to find a photo of the ones I knitted, but alas, it seems to have been lost in the mists of time ... only 2 years ago mind, so just goes to show how bad my electronic filing system is!!! But this is a photo from the pattern I used.

duck feet booties.jpg

They were mind bendingly hard, using techniques Id never used before... or even heard of. But deeply satisfying when they were finished.

Cant wait to see how yours turns out.

Like Marjorie likes this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2021

Olive hat with pimento top.Resized_20210817_164404.jpeg

Solutions Partner
September 23, 2021

I totally love it. Very cool.

Like Marjorie likes this
Stella Claire November 2, 2021

Hi, I am very good at making Japanese traditional kabuki masksKabuki is a traditional style of Japanese theatre. It is a theatrical style with a very rich history. Originating from the 1600s it’s incorporated the social topics of that time and even after many renditions, sanctions from leaders, and changes it is still as popular as ever.

Cosplay-Scary-Slipknot-Mask.png

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events