It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Does your mind play tricks on you? How do you overcome cognitive bias?

Kristen Roth Atlassian Team Aug 07, 2019

It's estimated that we make about 35,000 decisions every day šŸ˜²And each of these decisions is influenced by our environment, experiences, and emotions.

Unfortunately, we're not always as objective and logical as we should be when making judgments and decisions about the world around us. (Our brains are powerful, but they do have limitations!) Enter, cognitive biases. They're often a result of our brains trying to be helpful and simplify information processing. But they can be really troublesome when it comes to things like solving customersā€™ problems, devising product strategies, and making complex decisions. 

Have any of these biases ever gotten you into trouble? What do you do to make sure you're avoiding these types of thinking? 

2 comments

I'm so guilty of hyperbolic discounting bias -- I get excited by new ideas and I want to get. them. done! 

It's only after that I realize that perhaps I didn't scope or plan something adequately enough, then I have to do work to undo the issues I accidentally created. Oy vey.

Like ā€¢ Kristen Roth likes this
Kristen Roth Atlassian Team Aug 07, 2019

So many ideas, so little time! It's really hard to not get overly excited by that shiny new thing.

Contact customer helpline
+1 866 528 5OO7
Best information ever

Comment

Community showcase
Posted in Off-topic

Friday Fun: Virtual dance party!

Do dance parties help you relieve stress? How about *virtual dance parties*? My team holds virtual dance parties to brighten the mood of a tough day or celebrate an upcoming weekend.  Want t...

180 views 21 9
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you