Does your mind play tricks on you? How do you overcome cognitive bias?

Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 7, 2019

It's estimated that we make about 35,000 decisions every day šŸ˜²And each of these decisions is influenced by our environment, experiences, and emotions.

Unfortunately, we're not always as objective and logical as we should be when making judgments and decisions about the world around us. (Our brains are powerful, but they do have limitations!) Enter, cognitive biases. They're often a result of our brains trying to be helpful and simplify information processing. But they can be really troublesome when it comes to things like solving customersā€™ problems, devising product strategies, and making complex decisions. 

Have any of these biases ever gotten you into trouble? What do you do to make sure you're avoiding these types of thinking? 

1 comment

Comment

Natalie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2019

I'm so guilty of hyperbolic discounting bias -- I get excited by new ideas and I want to get. them. done! 

It's only after that I realize that perhaps I didn't scope or plan something adequately enough, then I have to do work to undo the issues I accidentally created. Oy vey.

Like ā€¢ Kristen Roth likes this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 7, 2019

So many ideas, so little time! It's really hard to not get overly excited by that shiny new thing.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events