Does more knowledge actually make us more effective?

Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 4, 2019

Maybe not. 

Turns out, too much data may disable our decision making. Some researchers even argue that forgetting is healthy as it helps us get rid of outdated information. So what do we do about all of this info that's bogging down our brains? We need to learn how to unlearn

We all have a number of beliefs, habits, and mindsets that we need to unlearn to help us change our perspectives. What are some of yours? 

3 comments

Comment

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2019

Maybe one should make a difference between "learnt" knowledge, which can be recalled from memory & knowledge, which is available at hand (Google, Wikipedia, company kb,...).

"Learnt" or memorized knowledge is hard to get rid off. This knowledge consists of habits & ways you or the company did it in the last x years.

The art of knowledge management is to review your knowledge base on a regular basis & mark/archive outdated data, separate short term from medium & long term valid data.

When I look up thinks, I always try to get an impression of current best practices & the best practices on that topic about 5 years ago. This gives one an impression if the knowledge you build on is still valid or should be reviewed. Sometimes the old stuff is still not too bad...

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 4, 2019

"I always try to get an impression of current best practices & the best practices on that topic about 5 years ago. This gives one an impression if the knowledge you build on is still valid or should be reviewed." Great tip, @JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_!  

Like Kat Warner likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 24, 2019

I used to worry about being on time for appointments and meetings. The stress would increase as I checked my wristwatch or cellphone multiple while I was sitting in a bus or walking to my destination for example.

A few years ago I unlearnt this habit of checking the time. I realised 90% of the time all this did was increase my stress levels as there were no actions I was able to take change when I was going to arrive.

This made a significant difference.

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2020

This is a very interesting topic. I agree that the right amount of information (not too little, not too much) is the best way to move forward and ensure timely decisions are made. This doesn't necessarily mean the right decisions are made though. A scenario I find quite interesting, where balancing out the amount of knowledge one seeks in the search of the right decision-making steps are often found in big companies/projects, where high-level management is urged to keep the ball moving in the right direction.

What I guess I'm trying to get to here is that:

• Knowing how to control the gate of knowledge is important, yes
  • Understanding what matters might be the true key
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events