Do you still play the same games you played when you were a kid?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2019

Months ago, I was walking in a huge grocery store and I went to the toys aisle and found a jigsaw puzzle that was more than 50% off, and I thought "why not? It will be fun and it can be a beautiful frame as well".

It took a while and finally me and my mom assembled a 500 pieces puzzle in one week and it was really good because it was a moment that we could be together, away from cellphone, television and any other electronic stuff.

After that, I bought more 5 and we are now almost finishing the third one (also 500 pieces) and the next two ones are 1000 and 1500 that will be really challenging.

I loved puzzles when I was a kid and I also remember that I did many things and played a lot when I didn't have a computer, also I liked to write, read, play the guitar and I don't often do these things anymore.

Now I want to know from you, do you still play games (not videogames or anything related to technology) that you used to play with your parents or friends? Are there any games that you would love to play again that you can't find anywhere? Do you keep your old games?

Some pics of the jigsaw puzzles:

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-17 at 13.20.41.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-17 at 13.20.42.jpeg

The ones we still need to assemble:

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-17 at 10.21.15.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-17 at 10.21.15(1).jpeg

Have a great weekend everyone!

33 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2019

@Angélica Luz , this is awesome!

I never grew up, I still have many of the toys I played with as a kid on my desk at work.  I also kept all of my old toys and games I just couldn't part with them.  Now that my son is getting old enough we've actually started playing with a number of the things I grew up with.  So to answer your question, I never stopped playing with those games and I doubt I ever will :D

Like # people like this
Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2019

I wish I would have kept or could find the toys I had when I was younger!

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2019

My grandfather told me "When you stop thinking like a kid, you grow old.".  Truth!

Like # people like this
Billy Poggi AUG NOVA_ DC
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2019

Video games. Yes. As often as I can. With my son and my daughter especially. :)

Like # people like this
Stephen Crandell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2019

My wife and I get a new jigsaw puzzle every month or so and put it together. We have 3 small children so we play a ton of board games like Sorry, UNO, Chutes and Ladders, checkers. One thing we instituted in my house is every Friday is "Family Fun Night!" We do crafts, games, cool science experiments...and eat pizza! Games are always better with pizza!

Like # people like this
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2019

I love Sorry. :-) 

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2019

I still play video games whether by myself, with my friends, or with my son. Not as much as I would like to but still try to get it in when I can. Also play quite a bit of board games, not the same ones that I played when I was growing up but still some of the same concepts just a little bigger than before. One of the board games I played as a kid (Dark Tower) is getting a reprint so I am looking forward to possibly getting my hands on that one day!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2019

@Bryan Trummer that reminds me of a funny image a friend at work past around not too long ago:

Image result for playing games instead of sleep funny image

Like # people like this
Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2019

Ha ha ha so true!

Boris MBOUMEHANG
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2019

Great @Angélica Luz ! 
unfortunately, I do not play puzzles anymore, but I used to, with my brother and sisters when I was a kid. But the game I miss the most is Ludo. In Cameroun, it's one of the most famous board games kids like to play.

Ludo.jpg

Since I arrived in France, I love playing Monopoly with my friends sometimes (buying hotels and pretending to be as reach as Croesus is so EXCITING! :D ).  

Monopoly.jfif

Like # people like this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2019

OMG! I used to play Ludo with my brother, it was really nice. Actually I didn't know the name was Ludo until now. Thank you for sharing!

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2019

Jigsaw puzzles have been part of my family's Christmas tradition since I was a boy.  Nothing like having a 2,500-piece puzzle of nothing dominos, Christmas trees, bottle caps, etc. to keep things really challenging, and me up 'til 2am grumbling to myself about it. :-P .  My wife and I have had a holiday puzzle in our home since I got married and I'm very happy to see my kids starting to pick it up as part of their Christmas tradition as well. 

Image result for Christmas tree jigsaw puzzle  Image result for bottle cap jigsaw puzzle   Image result for domino jigsaw puzzle 

There are also a couple of table games my family has played since I was young and we tend to break those out whenever any part of the family is together as opposed to turning on the TV.  Always fun to pit the young against the old, boys against the girls, etc.

Image result for skip-bo card game

Personally, I was always the one that took toys apart and put them back together.  I still do but now it's "big boy toys" like car engines, etc.

Factory Five Roadster - my dream "toy" ...

F5-Roadster-build.jpeg

When I had kids, I discovered my mother had saved many of my childhood toys for her grandchildren (who are now 24 and 22).  She still has them so I suspect she's now saving them for her great-grandchildren.  Those all-metal Tonka trucks never wear out, especially in a dry environment like western Texas.  :-)

Image result for metal tonka trucks 1960'sImage result for metal tonka trucks 1970's

~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks @Angélica Luz  for triggering some very happy memories!

Like # people like this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
October 17, 2019

You are welcome! I'm very happy to see everyone sharing good memories. It's really good to keep things that made us happy when we were a kid and share with our kids. I'm not a mother yet, but I know I will play with them using the games and toys I still have.

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 17, 2019

I want to start putting puzzles together but I am waiting until we have a dining room and dining room table (home buying in progress as I type).

My husband does not understand why I want the tactile experience rather than moving virtual pieces around online.

Image result for puzzle time gif

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2019

Awesome post! So nostaligic to think of all the games I played as a kid. I didn't play many board games but I was one of those kids that was outside from the time I got home from school until dark (when the street lights came on) and every weekend. About 20 kids in our neighbourhood would either be climbing trees, building treeforts, corn or wheat mazes, sling shots, skipping rocks, skate boarding, tarzan rope and tire swinging, dirt biking, jail break, laser tag, slip and slides etc. I do remember once we played with a ouiji board in our outdoor tree fort and it felt so real, it scared us so much, to the point that now when I see I turn the other way. 

So many fun times, I wish I had played more board games as a kid - I do remember playing candy land, monopoly, hungry hippo, clue and sorry, but those were reserved for snow storms :)

Like # people like this
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2019

I still play video games in a big way, but miss all the figures I used to own that would be worth a ton of money today!

I have started re-collecting some of my old favorites however. :)

Like # people like this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2019

Transformers!

Many boys like to play with this toy since childhood,they are still on my desk.

微信图片_20191018105716.jpg微信图片_20191018105725.jpg

Like # people like this
Miroslaw October 18, 2019

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2019

Go! go!.. Transformers! ;)

Like # people like this
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2019

That is so awesome!

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

I used to love watching the transformers cartoons with my friends.  It was cool to see them made into movies over the past decade!

Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2019

The only games from my childhood that I have recently played are Uno and Clue. We do play a lot of board games though, they are just newer games.

Like # people like this
Vinod Ramadoss
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 19, 2019

When i was a kid, i used to play video games, just like any other kid. I still remember, it was a basic game console which needs to be plugged into television and had its own game cassettes,  to me it was a gift of my life that time.

These days its more of computers and x-box stuff which i hardly got to play, and all the old consoles are no longer compatible to tv of these days.

However, badminton is something i play till date, its just am not as nimble as i used to be :)

Like # people like this
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2019

What an awsome Friday Fun Day Thread.

Last year for Xmas my wife brought me a retro Atari which I use to play some of the old classics such as Pong, Space Invaders and Asteroids.

We often have parties with friends and family where we spend an evening playing classic games and it brings back the memories of one of the first games consoles that I ever played.

Oh, how the graphics have changed in games these days.

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2019

I play whatever my kids play.  Some of the games are staples that I grew up on while others are new.  Cribage has stood the test of time and we continue to play it.

Like # people like this
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 21, 2019

I'm indeed a huge SEGA fan. I learned to develop because I wanted to create my own SEA Megadrive / Genesis games. After some tries I published some of them:

... and  the most recent one Zooming Secretary: Going Panic!

ilsovag9.jpg

Like # people like this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2019

Missed this wonderful topic on friday - I enjoy playing videogames whenever it is possible... Love the Super Nintendo mini, Mini NES! When it's bad weather outside - I enjoy playing all parts of Super Mario for hours like when I was young (and damn that was a long time ago)

Like # people like this
Dara October 22, 2019

Actually, I very specifically don't play the board-games I used to play with my family anymore. But in the best way. Both at my mum's and my dad's we used to play classic board games when I was little. Mostly Catan, but also stuff like Monopoly and Stratego. Both sets of brothers were very competitive, and could get a bit mean as well (from my perspective as a shy, insecure child, they never meant any actual harm). So I grew up with a strong dislike of board-games.

A few years ago, however, I became good friends with several people who were really into board-games. They introduced me to the concept of cooperative board-games, and I really love them. I have started my own collection (which is still really small, but growing), and we often play together. My favourite is Spirit Island, which is really the anti-Catan (you play the spirit guardians of an island, protecting the indigenous people and trying to throw the colonisers out). It's helped me get over some of my insecurities regarding gaming, and a bit of a healing process in that regard.

We don't play board-games anymore with my family, because of how it used to go. But I have already proposed we try some cooperative games together. I will be bringing some along when I see them next week :). 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2019

I agree, I also prefer cooperative board-games to competitive ones.  If you haven't seen or tried:

I totally recommend it.  It's one that requires strategy and people working together to complete the game, and you either win or lose as a group.

Like # people like this
Dara October 22, 2019

Yep, played that one a few times. Only managed to win once though... 

If you like that one, I would really recommend 'This War of Mine'.  It's based on a video game, and really well put together. You play a group of survivors in a civil war scenario. You control the group together, and have to thus agree over each move. The leader can be the tie-breaker if necessary, and the leader-role constantly rotates.

I've played it once now, loads of fun. We won, with one member of our original group alive, succeeding at the objective, and ending up with -45 points.

Like # people like this
Dara October 22, 2019

Also, I find it interesting that almost no one in this thread read the question properly: "Now I want to know from you, do you still play games (not videogames or anything related to technology) that you used to play with your parents or friends? " XD

I love video games myself too, and I completely understand the enthusiasm and nostalgia, don't get me wrong! But I do find it interesting that we are now mainly discussing what the maker of the post asked us not to discuss.

Like # people like this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2019

Damn - I really read over this....

Do my old boxes of Lego count - I still enjoy? Only thing is I feel like I lost some of my creativity I had in my younger years.... maybe it's because you don't have so much time 'left' anymore... don't know

Like # people like this
Dara October 22, 2019

Haha, well you're are far from the only one. My first thought when I half-read the original post was about video games too :D

Lego! Yeah, the time thing is a factor sadly.. I feel that as an adult you become more conscious of time, and also constantly feel as if you need to use that resource in the most efficient way possible. It means you lose a great sense of freedom, forcing your mind into paths of what you need to do and what you'll get out of it. Probably a big factor in having less creativity I think. Though not the only one I imagine.

Like # people like this
Willy_T_ November 11, 2019

Why even restrict this post? Video games were an important part of mine and many others childhoods. 

Like # people like this
Dara November 11, 2019

I definitely agree! I'm not sure what my childhood would've been without Freddie the Fish and Mario Kart. But I figure the OP just wanted to have a discussion about different types of games. Which is fair, right?

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
October 22, 2019

To this day nothing quite beats throwing all the pillows and couch cushions on the floor for a good old fashioned game of "HOT LAVA!"

Like # people like this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2019

@Earl McCutcheon Haha, yes! Only now kids call it "The Floor is Lava" and post ridiculous videos of themselves initiating the game anywhere. 

Like # people like this
carrie_eandm
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2019

I still play a lot of board games with friends! I have also been introduced to board games from around my toddler years when I was too young to play at the time (Hello 13 Dead End Drive...). I have friends who have held onto these older games and pull them out of the closet from time to time. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 9.54.17 AM.png

I still have a small collection of Legos and Micro Machines! Oh and Beanie Babies - those are still a thing, right?

Like # people like this
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
October 22, 2019

Growing up, we traveled a lot, so that meant ample bonding time between my Gameboy and myself. I do still have my original Gameboy, and it does still work, though I don’t play it much anymore. Gaming (Mainly on PC) has stayed through the years with me.

I did spend lots of time putting together Puzzle-3ds and enjoyed that a lot. Though I don’t spend much time doing a proper puzzle and find myself putting different kinds of puzzles together (Working in support offers multiple different puzzles with random difficulty). My youngest little human is getting into puzzles, and that’s starting to bring me back into it again.

With Kids now, I find myself spending lots of time playing with Legos and building random things. We found we can get big on bulk (20+ lbs) lego bags on eBay. The boys have been enjoying random legos, which we turn into whatever the imagination is capable of creating.

Great topic, love this trip back down memory lane.

Like # people like this
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
October 30, 2019

Your Kiddos will have great memories from these moments. I do have some good ones playing lego and puzzles with my family. =]

Like # people like this
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2019

I played a lot of Barbies with my sister. Every day after we finished our homework, if we didn't have class in the evening, we'd play Barbies. We invented so many stories and had so much fun. We also had a great imagination (maybe still have 🙃) and made props for them with whatever we found available: cardboard, pieces of fabric, boxes... whatever. 

Then at the weekends we played board-games with my parents, I remember Parchis, Conquest, and Stratego. 

In school we mostly played a game called "the elastic band". Two kids would hold an elastic band at ankle height, while the rest of the kids have to perform a series of known steps around the elastic; if you failed you had to switch your place with one of the kids holding the elastic and the other kid would join the game. To increase the difficulty the elastic could be raised up to the thigh, depending on the game. I have no idea if this game was played somewhere else, so here's a video so you can visualize it a bit better, it was really fun! The elastic game 

Nice memories! 😄

Like # people like this
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2019

I remember my sister use to playing the elastic one, I probably did as well =]

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 12.45.07.png

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
October 29, 2019

Elastics was very big in primary school. Ankle, knee, waist, shoulder height depending on the game.

Sometimes 1 or 2 chairs substituted in for a person.

I even found a how to play guide with some familiar rhymes here

Like # people like this
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2019

Let me add some game memories here =]

Videogame

Playing by myself:

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 12.51.28.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 12.49.24.png

Playing with cousins:

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 12.52.12.png

With neighbors before videogames

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 12.48.05.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-24 at 12.54.39.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 12.57.00.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-24 at 12.57.47.png

Of course, these are some of them.

So much fun, thank you @Angélica Luz for the great Friday fun =]

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2019

I haven't played Golden Axe in ages.  I should get a group of friends together soon to do that again!  Thanks for the idea @Daniel Santos

Like # people like this
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2019

It is very fun! I love it!

Like # people like this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2019

I still regularly build with Lego ... but now it's ok because I'm doing it with my kids. It certainly couldn't be that I enjoy building stuff and being creative ... nope not that. Just playing with the kids. Joking aside, I enjoy playing with my kids whether it be building Lego spaceships, making stuffed animals talk to each other, throwing around a ball, or building a world in Minecraft. Having kids helps me remember the wonder of life and what it was like to be a kid.

Like # people like this
Shaun Sheehan November 5, 2019

Cards Against Humanity, Dixit, Quirkle, and many others weren't around when I was a kid. ;)  I still enjoy many of the same board/card games now, but there are so many new ones that keep popping up and it's fun to try them all.  On a related note, we do have a game night at work and it's always a lot of fun. 

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events