Disney Live Action Reboots: Are you for or against?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2019

Happy Friday Everyone!

Today marks the international release of Disney's live action version of the animated classic Aladdin.

aladdin.jpg

I know that this movie was met with some controversy of over casting choices for various roles, but as the various trailers have been released I personally am going to reserve judgement until I see it myself.

My question to the group, is what is your favourite disney classic that has been given the live action reboot, or which one has yet to be made that you would love to see done? Or maybe these live action versions aren't your thing, feel free to call out which one they need to keep the way it is.

For me, I grew up watching the Lion King, so much so that not only did I know all the songs off by heart, but I could recite the entire movie word for word. This is one that I'd love to see given the live action reboot and I'm glad I don't have to wait very long for that to happen.

LionKing.jpg

Enjoy the weekend!

13 comments

Comment

Josh Klassen May 23, 2019

Do them all! I won't watch them but fun to see them revisit these and maybe retcon some of the mistakes :)

Like # people like this
Christopher Heritage
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2019

Big Hero 6 live action reboot, please.

Like # people like this
Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2019

Or even just a sequel! Such an underrated good movie!

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2019

What a fantastic idea! would love to see that

Like Amir Hassanuian likes this
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 23, 2019

My favorite Disney movie is the little mermaid!! I'm not sure how it would translate to live action - some things like all the bikini-clad characters might be more PG when kept as cartoons... 

Like # people like this
Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2019

Little Mermaid is my wife's favorite Disney movie followed by Tangled. We do have frequent conversations about how Disney would pull off a live action version, and we agree it would be a difficult one to do.

Like Amir Hassanuian likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 23, 2019

My daughter loves The Little Mermaid and so do I. If they manage to pull off a live action version, I will 100% go see it.

Antonio Ferruz
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2019

There is a live action "Little Mermaid" ... "Splash" (Touchstone Pictures, 1984) 

Tom Hanks & Daryl Hannah , in a fantasy romantic comedy... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splash_(film)

IMHO... reboot are fine.. but the original one is and always will be the first one :)

I feel... I am getting old talking about 80's movies.. ;) 

Karen O'Keefe May 24, 2019

Have you been to the Weeki Wachee Springs Mermaid Show? It has been around for 50+ years and is amazing. They prove you can do a live action version of the Little Mermaid.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2019

I used to work for Disney but before that I was already a huge Disney fan. I really liked Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, and the Jungle Book. I've not seen the new Dumbo yet. I think these next couple will be pretty cool too.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 23, 2019

Oh right, forgot about Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella!  I liked the former and found Emma Watson charming. I hated the latter since I found Cinderella herself to be a useless simpering nitwit. Give me Ever After any day!

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2019

I heard good things about Dumbo from friends!

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2019

Ever After > Cinderella live action

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2019

We are big Disney fans so I appreciate this topic. Out of the live actions movies they have done so far I liked Beauty and the Best the most. Although we haven't seen Dumbo yet. Two of my favorite Disney movies growing up were Aladdin and Lion King so I am looking forward to how those two turn out. I am a fan of the live action remakes so far as it gives new little twists to the stories. Granted live action is a loose term with some relying on CGI. However I say keep them coming! I even enjoy them doing live action spin offs of some of the characters we don't know much about (Maleficent or Chernabog for example).

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2019

I loved the movie Christopher Robin. It was so awesome to see the stuffed animals alive - my favorite one is piglet. 

I still haven’t seen Dumbo, but I‘m looking forward to this movie, because it’s a Tim Burton one. I love most of his movies.

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2019

Generally not a big fan of the lice action remake concept. But then I'm still recovering from hearing Piglet with an American accent in the cartoon years ago.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2019

"lice action" being the Freudian underwear for "live action"

Monique vdB
Community Manager
May 23, 2019

The Lion King looks really beautiful (and what a cast!) but I don't quite see the point of these? Especially if, like The Jungle Book, they get rid of the music. I do appreciate Aladdin fixing the cast whitewashing issue and trying to make Jasmine have a bit more agency, but Robin Williams as the genie is iconic.  I have an eight-year-old so will probably end up seeing at least one of these.

Also the trailer for the live action Dumbo made it look like a horror movie. 

Like # people like this
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2019

I think I will tip my toe into the new movies but just stick with the ones of my childhood and rather introduce them to my kids someday. I hope they won't be disappointed. And oh god yes, in Germany they even hired the voice actor of Robin Williams for Dschinni.

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2019

I must admit I have my expectations pretty high for Aladdin, as it's on the top of the favorite Disney movies list. So there's a good possibility that it won't live up to said expectations. For example, I grimaced when I heard the voice of Jafar in the trailer- sounds like it could have been Aladdin, not the dastardly villain Jafar. Given that Robin Williams was such a huge part of the original's success, this movie will have a tough time living up to the legacy even if Will Smith pulls it off. 

Everyone should come back to this post for an update after watching it :)

Like # people like this
Karen O'Keefe May 24, 2019

I can't wait! Besides, I love Will Smith.

Like carolyn french likes this
Billy Poggi AUG NOVA_ DC
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2019

I agree, Aladdin was just so good back in the day.  

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2019

Ok, my update is that the movie was a very enjoyable ride (carpet ride, of course)!

Couldn't get behind the new song Jasmine sings (although her voice is lovely) and in general, the singing was a bit lackluster. Probably due to my mind comparing it to the singers in the original version who were legendary. At least the dancing had an edge to it- decidedly Bollywood and that works for me. The genie was an amusing character and the romance there was a nice addition. Jafar felt like a miscast character, as he is supposed to be old and slimy, but isn't really either. I also missed a humorous Iago...

Anyone else have an update to their posts??

Like # people like this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2019

I agree with most of what you said. I was expecting Jafar to be a tall, dark, deep voiced, with a veiled sinisterness to him. His voice just felt off for me. Also, I felt like Aladdin and the Genie's lines at times were a bit forced. I don't really know who to explain it it other than that. Over all, though, I did like the movie.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2019

I am really looking forward to the Lion King live action as well. The Fox and the Hound would be one I would like to see as well.

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Billy Poggi AUG NOVA_ DC
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2019

I think Fox and the Hound would be a perfect fit.  Subtle enough to really blend the realistic with the "now animals can talk" aspect.  

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2019

The Grumpy part of me is speaking here: I don't like the action versions & reboots.

I adore the animated classics with all its flaws, especially the ones made with drawings and the hard work of thousands of artists (like the first Disney movies). Every reboot is like an arrow to my childhood.

Maybe I'm a bit old school, but the digital age is sometimes too much for me. :)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2019

I'm only coming back to this thread because I mentioned looking forward to seeing the Lion King.  One thing I've realized is that having a kids delays allowing you to do the things you want.  I just got around to seeing the Live Action reboot of the Lion King today and I really enjoyed it.

The original will always hold a special place in my heart, but I felt this reboot did a great job of retelling the story.

If you get a chance to watch it, I'd recommend it!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Zak Laughton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2020

I'm mixed on this one. I enjoyed the original cartoons, and the movies are almost identical. Like they're ok, but I feel like I'm just watching a different version of the same movie. Which I guess I am, lol. It's strangely underwhelming.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events