Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Are you an avid reader?

I'm really not a fan of commuting on public transport, but it did allow me to catch up on my ever-growing stack of sci-fi novels quite quickly!

Reading allows me to separate mentally from the densely packed trains, the pandemic anxiety, keeps me calm and keeps my brain active (I'm not the type that can easily relax!).

Any other commuters avid readers? What are you currently reading? Are you wanting to get back into reading?

(I am currently gobbling up the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown, then after that will be the Faithful and the Fallen series by John Gwynne)

2 comments

Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Jul 02, 2021

Hey @Matthew Tutcher ,

I'm less of an avid reader than I would like to be.

I loooove! the Red Rising series "Per Aspera, ad Astra" and am anxiously waiting for the last book in the series (and I really hope he brings out something new after that..)

I don't tend to read much on my commute, the other people on the road wouldn't like that :D I gave audiobooks a try too but I'm just too distracted to follow them.

I'm not a big fan of fantasy books but i love me good sci-fi, just finished the Hail Mary project by Andy Weir and besides that a good thriller is always fun.

I'm always on the lookout for series like Red Rising :)

If you aren't on it yet, I suggest joining goodreads. It's an easy site to track your books and get introduced to other similar ones.

Like Matthew Tutcher likes this

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans !

That's really made my day knowing there's other fans of Red Rising (And even more so in the Atlassian community!). "Hic Sunt Leones"

I also tried audiobooks, but I am far too scatterbrained to listen whilst doing every day things. I'm one of those people that keeps subtitles up on everything!

Ah! I have that Hail Mary Project book waiting in my pile, I managed to attend one of his book meetings earlier this year. I really need to tackle that one ASAP!

Funnily enough, I did sign up to Goodreads last month, feel free to add me on there: Goodreads Profile 

Nice to meet you!

I didn't find it as great as "The Martian" but it's a good read. Gets a bit scientific at times but excellent storytelling :)

I get you on the scatterbrain, same here.. a good podcast is about as far as I can go with an "audiobook"..

I'm currently reading "The Hiding Place", fun little thriller!

I just sent you an invite ;-)

If you have any suggestion on series like Red Rising, feel free to mention them!

I've just read "The Last Watch" from "The Divide" series which is just starting. It might have the same potential as Red Rising.. 

Vero Rivas Community Leader Jul 07, 2021

Hi @Matthew Tutcher 

I love to read, but sometimes I really don't have all the time to do it

However, I have put into a routine that every day I dedicate half an hour exclusively to reading and thus be able to establish a habit that allows me to enjoy the wonder of reading a book

I currently read collaboration and continuous improvement books
When I go by public transport I do like you, I take the opportunity to read everything I can

Cheers

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Off-topic

Don't F&*% the planet.

Over the weekend, Atlassian ran a New York Times ad calling on business leaders to join us in committing to a net zero future through the Science-Based Targets Initiative. As part of our gl...

209 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you