Are you Addicted !? [Andy's August A-themed threAd]

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2018

Addicted.jpg

In the spirit of the August ChAllenge I cAme up with quite An Awesome A-theme threAd… “Are you Addicted? (to AtlAssiAn Community)

[Sorry... I’ll stop with all the ‘A’s now. Promise 😉]

When I first started coming on to Atlassian Community it was just to review Q&A's on relevant subjects... I got my level 1 badge, and that was fine and life continued on like this for a few more months.

But then I had to ask my own question... and started liking, and started watching... and before I knew it: Level 2.

So I went to my profile: HEY! I thought... what are ALL these badges? And why don't I have that orange 'hello' one?

So off again to the search engine and type "How to get Welcome badge?". Then I stumble on Monique's 'How To' post and off I go... watching collections... coming to community every day.... and not before long, I had it! Success!

But for me it has now gone beyond badge addiction!

Joining relevant groups, answering questions to help others (Sharing Is Caring), and participating in key discussions to help further my own knowledge, have now become daily life for me here on the community.

I love it, it's awesome, and there's a lot of cool discussions going on here! Overall it really helps me master Atlassian, which ultimately helps me manage my projects more efficiently and effectively than ever before - all whilst having fun and interacting with cool like-minded people.

So.... a question to the Community:

Are you Addicted...!?

Why do you come to Atlassian Community? Are you here daily? Are you lost in JIRA? Do you want to help others learn? Are you here just for fun? Maybe those awesome badges?What do you like about it? What could be better? Any improvements to be made?

Don't forget: #ShAringIsCAring, so let everyone know!

[Guess I lied about the 'A's statement above... do forgive me! It's Addictive]

14 comments

Comment

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2018

Great theme Andy and love the photoshop work! 

I admit I’m addicted. I peruse open and answered questions in the morning with coffee, occasionally during the day and then again in the evening as I wind down.

I came to the Community (then Atlassian Answers) looking for answers when I first began using Jira. It was some time before I rearly appreciated what the Community was - a group of users, Atlassian’s and Partners working together to make one of the best user forums I have ever been associated with.

In the early years I would contribute answers every so often but things changed when I began using JSD. It was a new learning experience for me and there weren’t many experts in the Community at the time so I had to dig in and figure things out. This is really where the addiction all began. I began helping others as I was learning. I even answered my own questions sometimes. This is really where I began to notice there were badges and lozenges. Sure I saw them before but never gave them a second thought.

When one day I received an email from Monique asking if I wanted to join as a Community Champion I was intrigued to say the least. I didn’t really consider it was an actual group that worked this closely together, much less one supported so openly by Atlassian. I just assumed it was a badge you earned after so many thousand accepted answers. I have since learned how naive I was.

I blame my addiction on other Community Champions that were there for me, all the users that would @mention me in threads asking follow up questions and ultimately Monique and the Champions that voted me onto the island.

Cheers to the Community!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2018

@Jack Brickey We're so glad you leaned toward yes, Jack!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2018

Glad you liked the theme and artwork @Jack Brickey ! ! :oD

I am guilty of tagging the Community Champions in discussions... especially unanswered questions ;o)

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2018

The most addicting thing to me, is answering questions, I'm always checking back in, to see if my answer worked, did someone add more information to the question, etc.  It has taken me a while to feel comfortable answering questions, because I am surrounded by some of the most knowledgeable and smart people I have known.  But I'm always on the look out for ones I can help with.

When I first started running the Columbus AUG I was a right on Atlassian Newb.  Full Stop. I'd maybe been admini for the product for 6 months?  But part of the reason I started it, was because of the online community of a completely different product.  I had been annoyed at the lack of online resources for Jira (yes Answers was there, but it was super hard to find answers to my questions) My boss suggested I look for a User Group, because folks in one of the other offices had been attending in their city.  We didn't have one in Columbus, so.... History they say.  

A few years later *bam* we have the Atlassian Community and I was super excited to be asked to be a part of it, with the hope that it would grow to be like other online user communities I was familiar with, and it did! In a very short time, thanks to all of the Community Team and Community Champions work.  I love this place!  You all make it super awesome, and I'm happy to be addicted to it :D

(refreshes notifications once more)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2018

@Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_ We're very thankful for everything you bring to the Community! 😄

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2018

I was a longtime lurker on the community, and mainly used it as a resource for solving my own problems. At the beginning of this year I really felt like I needed to start giving back somehow, so I started posting in questions and discussions.

Even when there are months like this one, where I don't have much extra time in my day, I still try to find small ways to contribute to the community because I think it's an important place. When an organization like Atlassian creates a space for their users and partners to share, learn, and grow together, I feel like it's very important we foster that space. Definitely an addiction, and one that I'm happy to keep feeding.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2018

Couldn't have said in a better way Meg! :)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2018

@Meg Holbrook Definitely hard to imagine this space without you!

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2018
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2018

Addict?  No.  Not me.  Not been here every day (barring sickness and holidays without internet) since Jira 2.7.3.  Not at all.  Honest. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2018

Ha! Nic, you are the poster-child for the ACA (Atlassian Community Addicts). ;-)

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - the man. the myth. the legend. 

You're an incredible resource, I'm grateful for all of your contributions. I've been set on the right path with a Nic response MANY times. 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Will you ever tire of wearing the top contributor crown? 😉

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 26, 2018

I'm an addicted habitual visitor of the Atlassian Community. I am not confidant to give many answers yet and tend to spend time in the Off Topic threads.

For me it is almost a replacement for limited participation in a local user group as Solution Partner employees only have a limit role in user groups.

Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2018

@Kat Warner,

I knew very little a few years ago, but once you get a few answers it gets easier and more addictive.

Sometimes if you don't know an answer just google it, the person asking might not have been able to find it or they didn't think of googling it... And by answering you'll learn something

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2018

@Kat Warner I've seen you contributing a lot lately, Kat, so keep up the great work!

Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2018

@Kat Warner this was me until about a year ago.  Then I needed to get certified for our business to continue operating and yeah, well, it's sort of like exercise for some people, once you get in the habit of doing it, it's difficult to stop.  

So now I'm here a lot, but I still wish I was here more because every time I come I learn something new.

I guess I'm addicted, but I'm able to control it, or maybe something else controls it for me...

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2018

@Patrick Cartier [Candylio] Thanks for sharing your experience, Patrick! We're glad you're here. 😎

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 26, 2018

I'm reading this thread in bed on my phone at 11pm on a Sunday instead of going to sleep. Luckily it's part of my job to be addicted!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2018

Hahaha. Epic !

It's 8am here in the Netherlands and I've already checked Community 5 times since 6am.

;)

Slaap lekker.

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2018

Sleep is weakness entering your body. 

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2018

Hah hah ! Nice one @Meg Holbrook ! Maybe that should be the Community's Motto!?

"Sleep is weakness entering your body. Stay on Commmunity - stay STRONG!"

Marc Dvorschak August 27, 2018

I would say, I'm not addicted but I really appreciate the community as a source of knowledge. Like @Kat Warner I am also not confident to give many answers yet but I try to learn and look for inspiration whenever I have some time left. I don't come here on a daily basis but I enjoy the hunt for a badge from time to time ;)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2018

@Marc Dvorschak We look forward to seeing more of you!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2018

Well, I got the "Community Addict Award" (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Feedback-Forum-articles/August-2018-Community-Awards/ba-p/865061) - what else  can I say...

(Of course, it's only because I really love this everlasting tag-cleanup-thing, my greatest hobby of all, not because of all of you, the fun and the great discussions and questions)   

;-)

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel We very much appreciate the energy you bring day in and day out, Thomas. 😄

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel, you're a ray of sunshine. I appreciate you.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2018

I‘m blushing, thank you @Meg Holbrook and @Erica Moss

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2018

I'm not addicted ... I can quit any time I want to ... really. : ) I just don't want to.

I started out with the original Atlassian Answers site just trying to find answers to my questions. Then one day I realized I could answer a few questions. Eventually, I decided to start watching certain topics around Confluence and started answering questions more regular. Then, I found out I could get swag and started working toward the Atlassian Answers coat.

Then the Community was started and I was invited to be a Champion. Honestly, I was a bit skeptical at first. I liked the old system, but 1.5 years later I do think that this new platform is better in that there is more than just question. The articles and discussions are pretty cool. It took me a while to decide to write an article myself, but now I've written a few for stuff that I thought others might find helpful and I find it's pretty fun to be helpful.

So, that's how I got started ... and ok, I might be addicted. : )

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2018

@Davin Studer - he's strong and has the head of a man, and has great at answers. 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2018

@Davin Studer You are the bomb dot com, Davin!

Gary Pasquale
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2018

The Atlassian community is a powerful resource. And although I've been administering Atlassian applications for over 5 years, I've really started to spend more time on this site over the past few months.

It's great that people take time out of their day to help answer questions for others.

My day job prevents me from becoming too addicted, but I think I may need to enter some kind of badge rehab! Why are they so addictive?

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2018

@Gary Pasquale I can quit obsessing over badges anytime I want. (This is, in fact, a false statement.) Hope to see even more of you, Gary! 😎

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 28, 2018

Hi Community - my name is Fabienne and I'm addicted to Community! 

• Always start my working day with a short look what's happening here (also have a look on the weekends when I get notifications)
  • Getting help when I need it - Thanks to everyone!
  • Try to give back some help and share experiences I made (yes @Andy - PTC Redundant #ShAringIsCAring)
  • Feeling lucky to be part of this wonderful community (heart)
  • REPEAT

And I have to say - I really love the Badges - they are the cherries on top (if you say so in english)

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2018

@Fabienne Gerhard: It's the BEST ! Thanks for you contributions :) 

They are definitely the cherries on top ! :oD

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2018

Such awesome responses ! Great to see that people are more than just addicted... they are sharing, they are helping and they are awesome!

Here's some awesome artwork to round this topic off - quite fitting ;)

AtlassianAddict2.jpg

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2018

Love this meme - definitely gonna print it and pin it to my workplace -if it's ok for you @Andy - PTC Redundant

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2018

@Fabienne Gerhard : Absolutely ! Go ahead. Make sure you send a photo.

(But only if you frame it) ;) Hehehe. Just joking. 

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2018
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2018

@Fabienne Gerhard : Waaaah ! ! ! That is AMAZING :oD Sooooo cool!

Deleted user August 5, 2019

I wish I had the time to be addicted!  When I have 15-20 minutes free, I try to stop by and see what's happening, but it's not as frequently as I would like.  I've also posed questions that were quickly answered (thank you addicts!).

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events