Any Kdrama fan out there?

Alma Soriano December 16, 2021

Happy Friday! 

I once disappointed a colleague when she assumed I was one of those excited for the X-files series continuation. Apparently, I'm the nerdy type and that would make sense. I have nothing against the program, I am just so into Korean dramas that I don't have time for others. :)

I have watched almost 200 Korean drama series since I became a fan in 2004.  I can talk about it with so much passion but we will be limiting my post with my top 3 tech-related series. 

1. Start-up - for Hackathon enthusiasts complete with all the software development jargon

startup.jfif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-Up_(South_Korean_TV_series)

2. Memories of the Alhambra - Augmented Reality with Park Shin Hye and Hyun Bin set in Spain-- no need to say more

alhambra.jfif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memories_of_the_Alhambra 

3. Search WWW - the story of three women who work in competing web portal companies. 

search_www.jfif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search:_WWW 

How about you? Any recommendations? Happy binge-watching!

13 comments

Comment

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2021

I have never seen any of these, but they look really interesting. I'll have to check them out. 

However, I used to watch the X-files religiously. 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2021

Hmm. Not a Kdrama enthusiast or X-Files fan (sorry for those that are insulted by this revelation).

However, as revealed elsewhere in some soul bearing posts, I am an absolute Stars Wars geek. So, in that spirit I will reveal my top 3 from the Star Wars triple trilogies.

#1 - The Empire Strikes Back

This film was the darkest of the original trilogy, but as the central film in the trilogy, prequels and sequels it set up every character's arc. 

Favorite Scene: Tie between Asteroid Field Chase and Luke Skywalker detonating an AT-AT

the-empire-strikes-back-vintage-movie-poster-original-30x40-7941.jpg

#2 - Return of the Jedi

Luke finally reaches his potential and exposes Darth Vader is still human, leaving him a her instead of a villain. 

Favorite Scene: Lightsaber battle under the stairs of the Death Star control room between Luke and Vader.

ROTJ.jpg

#3 - The Force Awakens

OK, I know purists will eviscerate me for picking this over A New Hope. But this movie introduced us to some new and compelling characters (Rey, Poe, Finn), while bringing back the oldie's and goodies (Luke, Leah, Han). There was so much potential before Rian Johnson sabotaged the sequels in The Last Jedi.

Favorite Scene: Rey handing Luke the lightsaber

TFA.jpg

Like # people like this
Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2021

Love, Love, Love Star Wars. Not offended at all. 

LOL

Like Marjorie likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2021

@Andy Gladstone from the triple trilogies I would agree with you.  However, outside of that, personally I think I would put Rogue One > The Forces Awakens.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon Rogue One is part of the Anthology. Luckily I don’t need to consider it when comparing the trilogies!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2021

@Andy Gladstone  me too!  My new grandson's room is all Star Wars and Mandalorian.  

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2021

I was not aware that Kdrama was a thing until now.  Though the premise of the three shows you have mentioned sounds very interesting.

I watch a whole bunch of different types of shows.  50% because I want to.  The other 50% because my wife is watching it when I pass by the tv and somehow I went from asking a quick question to sitting and watching 3 episodes with her and now it's time for bed.

If I had to pick something I'm absolutely crazy about, it would need to be something I think I could win trivia night about.  For me that would have to be the Marvel Super Heroes universe.

I grew up on the comics and the older animated tv series and have continued to watch all of the films and tv series they have released since.

I'm also hoping to be able to see Spider Man: No Way Home this weekend!

Like # people like this
Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
December 16, 2021

I do know someone that watched Thai soaps. Even though I don't speak the language I could still pretty much tell what was going on - soap opera is obviously universal.

Will have to check out Kdrama as well.

Like # people like this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2021

Hi @Alma Soriano 

I admit that I think the only series I have seen has been "Ultraman", but it is not Korean, it is Japanese, but I loved it

Ultraman.PNG

I am hooked on Korean music because my daughter loves many groups there, such as: Balckpink, Twice, Loona, etc.

Cheers

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2021

@Alma Soriano  interesting topic!  I am now intrigued and have to go find Kdrama.  Especially, WWW, sounds good.

Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2021

Ooh this is a difficult one @Alma Soriano 🤔  I'm afraid to say the only kdrama I've watched so far is Squid Game which I loved! And I've also just started Alice in Borderland although thats Japanese not Korean. 

In general I watch quite a lot of foreign series on Netflix of different varieties from 3% (Portuguese), Elite (Spanish), Valeria (Spanish), Call My Agent (French) etc. 

The questions is...

Like # people like this
Valter Júnior December 17, 2021

Some suggestions:
- Signal
- Mrs Sunshine
- Hometown Cha Cha Cha
- Itaewon Class
- Crashing Landing on You

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2021

Not sure this classifies and Kdrama but it's one of my favorite movies 👇

Castaway on the Moon 🌙  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1499666/

Castaway on the Moon – in praise of visual comedy – The Asian Cinema Blog

Like # people like this
Jenn Velázquez_Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 17, 2021

Hi! Fellow k-drama lover over here. 👋

For the ones that enjoy love stories, here are some that I enjoyed watching this year!

• My Holo Love 

• My Roommate Is A Gumiho

• The Beauty Inside 

• Love Alarm 

• My first first love

Disclaimer: do not watch if you don't like love stories because these are super corny. 😅

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2021

OOOHHHH. Just came across this Google Chrome extension and had to share it here - it’s the perfect compliment to this thread for anyone that wants to get into the Kdrama scene @Alma Soriano

Netflix and YouTube Subtitle Extension

Like # people like this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2021

Vincenzo from Netflix is the best k drama I watched this year. I would rate it higher than squid game, because I laughed so much.  

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2021

Well I’m certainly behind the times. I didn’t know the K-drama was even a thing. How sad is that?? There is so much really good TV series on these days I can’t hardly find time to even fit a handful of them in. Some recent ones I really liked include:

things I want to try…

• Underground Railroad
  • all Creatures Great and Small
  • White Lotus
  • Foundation
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2021

I don't watch much TV so no recommendations from me.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events