Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working Remotely – A Week One Retrospective

When I first posted an article about the upcoming start to working from home, I mentioned that I would post a follow-up article at the end of this.  At the time, I didn’t realize how much would change just within one week, and instead I’ve decided to do a week one retrospective since there is enough to reflect on and I’ve made some changes to my work environment/habits to make things better for the week I’m just starting.

Let’s start with what went well:

• Monday was the most product day, since not much had really started at this point my wife and I dropped our little one off at daycare and I was able to heads down focus on work for the entire day. If things continued like this, I could see myself being able to work remotely permanently.
  • My wife and I also took lunch breaks together all week long and this was a nice escape from work for a short period to get back into things.

What didn’t go so well:

• Tuesday morning, it was announced that several public services would be closed where we live including our daycare. This caused a bit of chaos at our house as my wife and I tried to find our footing, trying to manage both a full-time remote work position and a two-year-old that needs lots of attention.
  • I also found my desk depressing in the evenings. With my additional work equipment my desk that I use for playing games became cluttered and I also found myself not wanting to play games when my work stuff is also sitting right in front of me.

What did I change:

• By Friday, my wife and I organically found that if we each take a two-hour dedicated work block while the other entertains our son. We will have a more focused and productive workday.  Our son naps daily from 1 pm – 4 pm so we will both be able to focus on work in the afternoon.  For all this week I have blocked off my calendar from 10-12 and I have informed my team who is very supportive of this effort.
  • I’m lucky enough to have additional spare rooms and furniture in our house that I have moved my work equipment out of my gaming dungeon. My hope is that on a mental level having this separation will allow me to work productively and then enjoy my evenings once my son goes to bed, playing some games myself.
    New_Office.jpg

What will remain the same:

• We still plan on taking a proper lunch break together, where we will make a fresh lunch. On Friday, we treated ourselves to takeout from a local restaurant to help support local businesses in this time of need and I can see that continuing.
  • I’m also still the dog for a walk first thing in the morning. I find it really helps me get focused for the day, and it helps inspire articles like this one.
    20200321_074729.jpg

We are just at the start of week two.  I will likely do another retrospective post next Monday to evaluate how these changes worked for us, and how my wife and I prepare for the coming weeks ahead.

Stay healthy and stay safe everyone!

5 comments

Comment

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2020

@Jimmy Seddon Loved reading about your experience, Jimmy! Much respect for you and other parents, who are figuring all of this out while they go. 🙌🏼

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
mani.s March 23, 2020

I'm in a similar situation as have 2 kids (9 and 5) and as of 20/03/2020 have been advised to work from home longer term, before it was once a week which was manageable.  I need to find a way of setting up some boundary spaces while the kids are home so i can work. 

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2020

@Erica Moss as always thank you for your ongoing support!

@mani.s I can't speak for where you are but I know that a number of other parents locally at my company have been posting about local resources and programs that are available to help keep kids occupied during the day while you are able to work.

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2020

Nicely written @Jimmy Seddon 

Will be waiting for the next one :-)

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2020

Consider me subscribed to this topic :) 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events