Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Women who have inspired me

Bridget Sauer's job (and likely passion) is to inspire #AtlassianAuthors to write and share content on the Atlassian Community. Given that March 8th is International Women's Day, it is little surprise that our monthly topic for article writing inspiration is to share stories about women who have made an impact on ourselves personally and professionally.

When I thought about this topic, four women came to my mind so I will share a little bit about each of them in the order I encountered them.

Margaret Helen Monrad (nee Waugh)

Known to me as Nana Helen, she was a strong woman who was not one to follow the trends of the Day. She was a nurse who met my Granddad while working in Fiji in her 30s. She worked as a nurse for many years and I have been told she was formidable even to senior doctors. One of the last times she drove her car, before illness stopped her from driving, was to complete a Meals on Wheels round. We said goodbye to her almost 20 years ago but her impact on the world will be remembered for many more years to come.

Helen Clark

Another Helen, this time one I have not met in person, but is another women I admire for living her life strongly, with purpose, and against the tide of popular opinion. Helen Clark is a great example of a woman with a career, who is not defined by her family or family status. Growing up as a child, Helen Clark represented some of life's possibilities. As a New Zealander, I am also proud of the way she represents our country.

Michelle Ellis

I worked with Michelle at Sonar6 (now Cornerstone On Demand). As I wrote in 2011, "Michelle allows those reporting to her to develop their own skills and work according to their own styles while encouraging a cohesive and positive team."

Michelle's communication and leadership still inform how I work and strive to be today. Her outdated but still useful copy of Introduction to ITILv2 is sitting on the bookshelf in same room as I write this article. 

Glenys Robbins

Glenys showed me how a leader could compassionately and professionally navigate tricky situations like department restructuring - giving her team members strong unwavering support even when she was not receiving it. Glenys cares about people and always had time for what her team members cared about. I mostly appreciate how Glenys made me feel heard when my efforts and recommendations hit roadblocks that could not be overcome.

Please share a couple of sentences about the women who have inspired you. And remind me if I forget to make a similar post on November 19th - International Men's Day, about the men who have inspired me.

4 comments

Comment

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 5, 2020

@Kat Warner , YOU inspire me. Ever since I met you at last year's Summit, I knew we'd have a great relationship both professionally and as friends. I really admire how much passion you put into the Atlassian Authors program, and your words are always both high quality and heartfelt. It's so cool to see someone bring their whole selves to work, whether it be by engaging on the Community or just supporting your fellow Leaders. We're so lucky to have you, and you make me want to do the best job for the Atlassian Community that I can. 

Like # people like this
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 6, 2020

I know only Bridget Sauer, and she is a fantastic person! 

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 6, 2020

@Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_  - if you knew Nana Helen I would be very surprised! Hehehehe.

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2020

Great post @Kat Warner .

I think for me,  @Darline Auguste  and @Deepti Jain are two ladies I look up to.

They are always quick to respond to challenges I present to them and ready to help out with ideas I have. 
We have built a beautiful community in the Delhi NCR region for which these two ladies have been instrumental. 
Cheers.

Like deepti_jain likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events