Why being part of a community is good for your growth

Sun is shining,
birds are chirping,
I s#ck at Teamwork.

Grumpy Haiku 

I found myself in the middle of a loudly silent discussion. Somewhere deep in my head.

How an eco-system specific online community can make you a better performing person?

For a complicated question, the answer is pretty simple in words. Most of the time, our terms sound too straightforward to describe the complexity of the actions. See?! It's already a puzzle.

I should start with this: I am Not a team player. I prefer being the only one responsible for specific tasks with collaboration on its minimum. The big time consuming corporate processes with teams, meetings, and countless discussions are making me lame. In my work, simplicity is King: you have a task, you have a deadline, and you're getting the s#it done in the best possible (and smart/creative) way. 

One of my favorite articles at the Atlassian Blog is Working with introverts, and not just because I am one. Season managed to give an excellent example of the struggles which people like her and I often experience in their lives. 

"I’ve learned to adapt because I’ve had to. Because, as I said above, I often find myself among people that aren’t as introverted as me, particularly at work."

The essential Scrum rule is: "Inspect and Adapt," and I am following it every single day. Except in this case.

I. Refuse. To. Adapt.

And suddenly, life became much complicated. From the one side, I am actually giving tons of energy in trying to change and be more social, from the other side - no one notices. So my days stuck at their hamster wheel, as well as my emotional shape.

growth-article-change.jpg

One day the good old Answers portal changed to Atlassian Community. As part of my job, I was often browsing the portal in search of answers to my burning Atlassian questions or references to our products. The evolution of my knowledge naturally led to some answers and posts here and there, and I even spent some of my evenings supporting people around the community (or writing about my million Confluence pages hehe).

The Ripple effect showed its power, and I manage to transform from a person who lacks any non-native language content creation skills to Atlassian Author to Community Leader. What a year 2019, what a year!

This Community growth exponentially reflected on my work, on my life, and my psychе. Not because of the adaption - with a warm and cozy feeling in my heart, I can say that I wasn't adapting at all!

What is making the Atlassian Community such an extraordinary place? 

You being You.

People appreciate people for their knowledge, differences, their strong and weak parts. If you are feeling down or stuck, they are there to cheer you up and give you a hand. No matter the time zone or distance. 

Thank you, @Andy - PTC Redundant, for bringing my spirit back with that Portuguese Sunshine! 💙

11d10e84-ab62-46be-8aba-78d01665d921.jpg

As I said a while ago:

Being a Community Leader won't change your life, but it will change your perspective (which WILL eventually change your life afterward).

I changed a lot and I didn't change a bit! The Schrodinger's Change. (smile) 

Now at the end of my confession, the most important thing I want to say is: be part of a community that will let you be yourself, online or offline, small or big, united around a cause, adventure or idea, and let it do its magic. If you believe in yourself, you can do remarkable things; if someone believes in you, you can go beyond.

Stay awesome (and read THIS article). (smile)

💙

fitness-leaders.png

24 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2020

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ this article is 100% on point.  I have felt exactly the same, both before being a part of the community, and after and more importantly after becoming a leader as well. 

I am also on the introverted side of social relationships, but I both value and treasure the friendships I have formed with other members of the community, and the only regret I have is that I didn't join sooner!

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2020

A big shout out for you @Jimmy Seddon for always supporting and encourage me! :)

Like # people like this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2020

Awww, I love this!

I'm still pretty new to the community, but I love that I've felt comfortable asking questions from day 1. Everyone here is so helpful.

And I'm glad to have connected with you, Teodora :) 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2020

Same here @Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy  :) 

Continue doing amazing things!

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 12, 2020

This is an attempt

To demonstrate how much I

Agree (in haiku)

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

Really glad to read through this and have begun my journey into the community :)

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2020

Introvert lady

A Queen of Community

Always stay #Grumpy

A wonderfully written article @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ ! 📝🥇 I really enjoyed reading it.🤓🧡

It made me laugh, it made me think and it got me INSPIRED!

To add some more Community spirit to this article, staring Damien, check him out on his travels from NL 🇳🇱 to PT 🇵🇹

F79298C6-13BD-4E98-9C95-C846F2B10BF8.jpeg

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2020

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ don't ever change, I love you just the way you are ♡

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2020

@Jodi LeBlanc@Andy - PTC Redundant  I am thankful for having people like you in my world 💙

@Fernando Bordallo glad you like it! We are happy to have you here in our Community forces! :) 

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2020

Thanks @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ I am grateful for you both as well :)

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2020

What Jodi said ! ! 💙 🤩

Like # people like this
Celina Zamora January 17, 2020

All the feels! You are such a bright part of this Community @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ and it's amazing to know that this Community has provided a space for you to feel included and meet some other amazing people. I am so honored to work with such intelligent and endearing people like yourself and the other Leaders. Thank you for sharing! 💙💙💙💙

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2020

giphy

(That's me diving head-first into this love fest.) Teodora! I don't know how I initially missed this post, but it has improved my Friday by about 58%. I will never tire of stories like yours, ones in which folks take a chance or step out of their comfort zone, and end up improving both their own lives and the Community at large. Thank you for all that you do!

Like # people like this
Darline Auguste
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 21, 2020

LOVE THIS! Thanks for being part of our community and making it so awesome!

Like # people like this
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2020

be part of a community that will let you be yourself, online or offline, small or big, united around a cause, adventure or idea, and let it do its magic.

I can't agree more. Thanks for the amazing article, @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ !!!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2020

Thank you, @Darline Auguste and @Veera 💙

I'm glad you all find this close to you and your vision, it feels good to give and receive appreciation.

Like # people like this
Alison
Atlassian Team
January 22, 2020

I changed a lot and I didn't change a bit!

Thank you for writing this Teodora! It's refreshing to read how you were able to positively contribute to the community while staying yourself. Have a great day- I'm keeping this article in mind :) 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2020

Thank you @Alison, have an amazing day too 💙

Like Erica Moss likes this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ thanks for the awesome post--your article made my day!

Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2020

My pleasure @Shawn Kessler and your comment gave sparkle to mine :) 

Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2020

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ : Thank you for this amazing article, and most of all, for being you! 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2020

@Emily Koch Thank you for your kind words 💙

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2020

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ a little late to the party, but just found this article!

For a while I was a bit of a community lurker - logging in mainly to find answers to my own questions and not really thinking about the wider community.

Then one day I saw a question and thought 'I know the answer to that' - I haven't looked back!

I love how friendly the community is and how rewarding it is helping people.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2020

Well, we are glad that you decided to answer this first question @Liam Green ! :)

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events