The precious moments in life: make the most of them!

The darkest day in 2020 😢

For most of us, the past few weeks have been all about well wishes! Reconnecting with friends, colleagues and associates and wishing them all the very best for the coming year. That was certainly the case for the Fun Man... until today.

I came out of a day of full-on back2back meetings late in the afternoon and as I was packing up my bag to leave, quickly checked my phone to find one of the most depressing messages of my life: the mother of my bestest mate in the whole world, a woman who I have known since I was 7... had passed away this morning. 

Whilst she had been sick for the last few months, she was stable: until yesterday when she spiralled from 80% health to 1% in less than a day. A sudden event.

For me it's unbearable: he's in the U.K. now dealing with the emotions and there's not much I can do from abroad. Phoning won't help: it's so cold, distant and will only irritate. Flying over will just put me in the way of a stressful and busy situation. So just I do what I can, when I can... I am there for him and his sis, both of whom I consider as dear to me as my own siblings. 

I sat at my work desk sobbing before pulling myself together and responding to his and his wife's messages.

The worst day in 2020 😕

All doom and gloom yesterday, I'd been in one of my moods... battling a chronic head cold, I was now on the sinus infection stage. Work was as stressful as ever, and I'd fallen down the stairs that morning with my son in my arms, badly hurt most of my body, and badly cut my hands and arms in protecting my son from the fall (he was perfectly fine!). 

I was pissed off and angry at life. At some point in the day, at work, my head all fuzzy and my body aching I thought depressingly: "This life is f^^^ing pointless..." 

I thought I was having the worst day of the year but as he watched his mother's health fade fast yesterday, my best mate was probably experiencing the worst day of his life. 

Perspective. How rapidly the tables can turn...

A precious day in 2020 🌹

Tomorrow will be different now. Someone near and dear to my mate, his family and those closest to them, including myself, is missing from the world. A stark empty space now exists. A void never to be filled again. So tomorrow, for my mate, I will be strong, positive and optimistic.

And why not?

There is still so much to live for in this life: my mate has his wife and kid; his family. He has me too and I have him. I have my wife and kids as well.
We both have all our friends and extended families. We both still have great, highly demanding and challenging careers to bust a nut on, no matter how infuriating they can get at times.
We have our health and our ability to do anything we put our mind to. And most of all: we have our opportunities.

We have so much to live for in this life - a life that is, such is the sad reminder today, sometimes shorter than we expect... shorter than we hope for.

As I go to bed tonight and say a prayer for my mate and his family I shall focus on tomorrow and a different thought: "This life is precious: Make the most of it!" 

And then after that thought... I will!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rest in peace Mrs L.

Rest in Peace.

🙏

13 comments

Comment

Celina Zamora January 15, 2020

@Andy - PTC Redundant my sincerest condolences to you and your friend. Thank you for sharing your feelings and always being so authentic. So many of us go through days of uncertainty, pain, joy, and frustration. Being vulnerable is incredibly hard to do too. Knowing we aren't alone in these moments helps us get through them. Life is incredibly precious, each moment, each experience, each person in our life is a gift. Know we are here for you, and sending my thoughts and prayers to you all. 

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2020

Thank you every so much @Celina Zamora!

You always know the right words to say, right at the time of need 💙🙏 So comforting!

I appreciate your support more than you can imagine. 😍

Like Celina Zamora likes this
Mandy Ross
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 15, 2020

@Andy - PTC Redundant so sorry to hear of your loss. It's so difficult to be far away from loved ones when something like this happens -  sending you big hugs from your Atlassian family!

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 15, 2020

@Andy - PTC Redundant I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Andy. That has to be extremely difficult and I commend you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Life isn't always rainbows and butterflies (I wish it were though) - sometimes there's loss and hurt and it's so important to allow people to be there for you. So thank you again for opening up and allowing us to send you long-distance hugs during such a difficult time. I'm always here to be a listening ear. 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2020

@Andy - PTC Redundant hang in there my friend. My deep condolences for your lost.

If it can help and make you feel that you are not alone. Not sure if you saw my comment in Slack I broke my foot in a very silly way on Christmas Day.

Saturday night I had to rush my 9 yo to the ER as she had nose bleed 7 times.

Yesterday I had to rush my oldest to the ER because of shortness of breath (it turned out it was his Asthma and they had to give him strong medication through a Nebulizer. I am dealing with these critical situations while wearing a cast up to my knee. I can not drive as I broke my right foot.

May be something in the air these days. Hopefully the dark skies will leave soon for brighter ones.

Best,

Fadoua

Like # people like this
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

You've got the right perspective, @Andy - PTC Redundant and grateful you feel safe enough to share it with the community! My condolences to you and your friend. I know this is a trying time. Hugs!  

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2020

@Andy - PTC Redundant I can't properly express the amount of heartache and sadness I feel for you and your mate as I was reading this! :(

I really felt the range of emotions as I read through this article and I love the perspective and wisdom you came out with on the other side.

Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2020

This was tough to read, @Andy - PTC Redundant — I can't imagine being so far from people I love when they're dealing with a crisis like this. We're wishing you and your friends all the best. And thank you for sharing this news and being vulnerable here; you make this community closer and stronger, which I'm grateful for.

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2020

Hard to say much that hasn't been said yet. @Andy - PTC Redundant well done for taking that step back to be the strong, positive and optimistic friend your mate needs. All the best for you and your close ones

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2020

Thank you all so much guys! @Fernando Bordallo , @Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy , @Jimmy Seddon , @BiancaE , @Fadoua  and @Mandy Ross  (Community tagging not working bah!) 😇🙏💝 
I shall keep this bookmarked for a while and reflect back on your messages time and time again.

This is such a great Community and your kind comments and support is testament to my belief that this is more like a family rather than a bunch of netizens just hanging out online!
#Family # Friendship #Love #Community 💙👍 

Special shout out to you @Cassie Mayes ! Those simple five words on the slack DM hit my heart the hardest! You will get a big fat gorilla hug at Summit! 🦍💕

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2020

@Fadoua I saw your messages... sucked big time! Hope you are recovering well! 🌟

Your message really reminded me of this meme:

Plan.jpg

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2020

Thanks @Andy - PTC Redundant ! I am recovering. Hopefully I won't need this cast for a long time.

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

So sorry for your loss @Andy - PTC Redundant . Lean on your Atlassian family when times are tough--we are here to support you.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events