The Atlassian 2019 Community Year in Review

This post is a follow up to our 2018 Year in Review!

Hello, Atlassian Community! I'm Ali, and I lead the Customer Marketing Analytics team here at Atlassian.

First off, I want to say that I hope you all are staying safe and sane in these bizarre times. As a data analyst, in times of uncertainty, I find solace in facts and figures - and what’s more fun than stats about how we engage with each other? So here’s to you, Community; congratulations on another spectacular year!

BTW: You may be thinking, “Hey, I know 2020 has been wild and weird, but 2019 seems like a long time ago.” Here at the Atlassian Community, we start our year on the date of the Community’s birth: April 1st. All references to "2019" refer to the time period of April 2019 - April 2020. Happy belated to our special site!

Visitors Venn (1).png

At any given time, there are 87K visitors on the Atlassian Community! There were 18.6M total visitors last year, of which 17.8M (that’s 94.6%) were brand-spankin' new to the site. Welcome* to all of our newbies!

*Welcome will be a trend in this post!  

Total Visitors.png

We welcomed over 1M new users with the “I’m New Here” lozenge and continued to catch up with 800K Community Members. In 2019, we saw nearly 400 Community Leaders login to help out with questions and get together in groups. Finally, in 2019, over 4.8K Atlassian Team Members logged in to connect with our customers.

Group 1.png

We’ve had a 340% increase in engagement from the greater (greatest!) Atlassian team. THANK YOU. The Community has seen a huge benefit from having more of the team on the Community - just check out these AMA-zing AMAs from the last year.

Atlassians on Community (1).png

Speaking of leaders, this is a group of amazing people that keep the Community happy. This selective cohort is now 394 leaders deep! Compare that to just 164 last year or 157 the year before. That’s a 2.5x jump in just 2 years!

Leadergrowth2 (1).png

Our answers keep coming. The community saw 71K answers and 57K questions in the last year - that's 1.5 answers per question. Thanks to our great group of Community Leaders and Support Engineers who make sure questions are getting answered with a swiftness!

Questions White.png

But the Community isn’t just Q&A - our Community posted 943 articles, 6K discussions and 1.5K group conversations! Our users got into more than 80K conversations about all things Jira, Confluence, Cloud, and Bitbucket.

Discussions Copy.png

We just hit 160K likes for the year and regularly hit about 20K likes per month. You like, really really like Community! The most liked post is an update all about “What’s New in Confluence Cloud?” from September 2019 - go @Jessica Taylor! Atlassian’s customers really like knowing what’s going on with their favorite products.  likesovertime_2.png

The Community are real groupies for groups - we saw over 5K new members in all groups in 2019, more than double the new members we saw in 2018!

Group growth (2).png

This might be because there are wayyy more groups to join these days than there were last year. At last count, you have your pick of more than 75 groups in a bunch of categories: Community (think: Diversity & Inclusion), Industry (hey, Government professionals!), City (greetings from San Francisco!), and Atlassian groups (give feedback directly to product managers). We saw more than 25 new groups created in 2019.  

Grouptypeswithmostgrowth (1).png

They like us - they really like us! More than 2.5K users joined a Community inclusion group like Jobs & Careers, the Welcome Center, and Atlassian Authors (run by our very own Bridget Sauer)! You can see a list of all groups and join your local Community group here.

Groupz.pngWelcome, bienvenue, bienvenidos - hello Welcome Center! This group is far and away the most popular on the Community with over 1.6K new members in 2019. It should come as no surprise that this group is also the most chatty with nearly 2K new posts in 2019.

Trust & Security, one of our industry groups, saw 10x growth in 2019, adding 250 new members and 117 new posts!

group growth (1).png

And we doubled the number of people who joined a group in the year - in total, tripling group membership overall (YAY)!

Badges.png

You might call them little circles of honor - we call them badges. This year, we hit 1M BADGES STRONG. Yes, that’s right. More than one million badges were awarded to users last year. Can you collect them all?

1M_transparent.png

Happy 3rd birthday to the Community, and happy year in review. 

Thanks for reading! If you want to highlight a moment from this 2019 on the Atlassian Community, please leave a comment below. Looking forward to seeing you all around the Community in 2020!
Cheers,
Ali
PS Thank you to the team who helped put this together: @Bridget@Erika Nunotani, and @BiancaE!

20 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2020

Fantastic job, Ali!! Thanks for sharing!

Great job Community! Proud to serve along side of you!!

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2020

You certainly delivered the goods here, above and beyond all my wildest dreams! @Ali Sanne 

Thank you to the Communiteam for dedicating the resources to keeping us informed and inspired. 

Cheers to another fantastic year of growth!

Like # people like this
Leslie Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2020

Sooo good - I got tingles seeing these stats! Thank you @Ali Sanne and team for putting this together and THANK YOU to our Community for making this such a special place!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2020

This is amazing data @Ali Sanne!  I'd love to see stats like this on a more regular basis as well as anything else you might be tracking ;)

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 17, 2020

After some quick number crunching I see I wrote 3% of the 2019 articles (that's an intensely high number IMHO) and I am only 34% of the way towards getting the rare, most exclusive, 100 articles written badge.

Goes to show how well the Community Team does at creating a motivation system (badges) that encourages people at all different levels of activity.

Like # people like this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2020

Amazing!

Like # people like this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2020

Wohoo thanks to @Ali Sanne for this great Article - love statistics 😍

It feels overwhelming being part of this wonderful community and seeing the growing is like 😲

Let's celebrate every member and of course the Atlassian team

fuck yeah dancing GIF

Like # people like this
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2020

I love statistics like this, and its impressive! 
Best Community ever! 
192B0A04-50A8-432B-B2B7-05E83DE01D77.gif

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2020

Thanks for sharing @Ali Sanne . I always enjoy reviewing where we stand and our growth. The growth in leaders is very surprising!

Like # people like this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2020

This is so wonderful to read! I've got a virtual high five for all the community leaders and Atlassians who make this such a rich community. You guys make all the difference. :) 

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2020

Thanks for putting together such a terrific retrospective. I loved seeing all the numbers that certainly give us the big picture of what went over well and, perhaps, insights around what we can do even better in the 2020 cycle. I'm looking forward to keeping collaborating with this amazing Community ;)

Like # people like this
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2020

@Ali Sanne Thank you for sharing the review! It was really awesome to see that Atlassian group growing on bigger scale!!!

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2020

SO GOOD, Y'ALL! It's a great reminder that every single contribution helps make this Community an awesome experience for everyone.

source

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2020

No wonder it won this award.... https://cmxhub.com/community-industry-award-winners/

AMAZING ! ! ! Literally the BEST Community in the world. CMX says so! 

Like # people like this
Ivan Galea
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2020

Great job!!!

Like Ali Sanne likes this
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2020

These are really impressive numbers. WOW! I like it here. 😁

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
April 21, 2020

Great work @Ali Sannethis is very interesting and useful.

Cheers!

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2020

Thank you @Ali Sanne for the great report.  As always, my highlight for the year is the new people I have had the privilege to meet.  This community is stuffed full of amazing and incredible people that I frequently blow me away with how caring and giving they are.  Congratulations to the Community Team for shepherding this crazy thing in wonderful ways.

~~Larry

Like # people like this
manuelgeek
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2020

This is awesome. I love the details. I'm proud to have been part of the community contributions

Like Ali Sanne likes this
Phumi
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2022

Wow! what a great use of visualizations! It's like a visual representation of the Atlassian mosaic

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events