Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staying well in these interesting times

Over the next few weeks, the number of articles tagged #remote-work will increase as more and more people work from home - some for the first time - as a result of countries trying to flatten the curve of COVID-19 cases.

Or as suggested by someone on Twitter:

Tips for managing your own mental wellbeing

1. Spend time in places that feel safe and comfortable as much as possible.
  2. Tell yourself that how you are feeling is a normal reaction and will pass – it is nothing to be afraid of.
  3. Reach out to your usual supports – family and whānau, friends and workmates. Sharing how we feel and offering support to others is important.
  4. Keep to usual routines – mealtimes, bedtime, exercise and so on.
  5. Keep active – going to work, doing usual leisure activities and seeing friends can improve general wellbeing and help distract from distressing feelings.

These tips are from New Zealand's Ministry of Health and the page also has tips for taking care of the mental wellbeing of children during this unusual time.

What does it mean to self-isolate?

Many people around the world are being asked to self-isolate but information on what this involves is not being widely shared. You do not need to lock yourself in a room alone and wear a HAZMAT suit to interact with others.

Here are a few key points from a more detailed article from New Zealand's Ministry of Health on self-isolation:

• You should avoid having visitors to your home, but it is okay for friends, family or delivery drivers to drop off food and supplies. 
  • If you are in a home where the others who live with you haven’t travelled you should minimise close contact with them by avoiding situations where you have face-to-face contact closer than 2 metres for more than 15 minutes.
  • You should not share dishes, drinking glasses, cups, eating utensils, towels, pillows or other items with other people in your home.
  • You can go outside, but you need to limit your contact with others.

My prediction for the Time Magazine person (object) of the year

No photo description available.

4 comments

Comment

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2020

The more practical and straightforward approach, the more peace in our home-days. 

And the "Cattening the curve" - that's too brilliant. :)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2020

Great article @Kat Warner !  I think the information about self-isolation is extremely important, since I think too many people are misunderstanding what it actually means.

I plan to continue to walk the dog in the woods every morning... since we are there around 6am there isn't a single other person in sight so I know that it's safe, also I'm outside in the fresh air enjoying a bit of nature and getting myself in the right mindset and focus to begin the work day!

Like Kat Warner likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 15, 2020

Thanks @Jimmy Seddon

It is important we look after our mental well-being. Getting fresh air and exercise are important parts of that. Our pets need these things too!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 31, 2020

(moved to new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events