Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staying Fit In a Quarantine - Mission (Im)Possible!

As a person who loves the active life, the gym, the weights, and the long mountain walks, these quarantine times are quite challenging, especially when I had a few records on my 1RM in the past two months. But, it is what it is. The best we can do is support the efforts against the crisis and stay creative in our adaptation. ðŸŒ¿

Here are my few pieces of advice for higher activity during our home-time. (smile)

Why is it important to stay fit even when there is no beach for your body?

The first thing you'll notice after some time of living and working in the same space is the lack of energy and enthusiasm. It's easy to fall out of the wagon no matter the level of your organizational skills. Spending some quiet time in meditation or exercise will boost your body battery and raise the mood for the whole day. And did you know that starting your day with checking your inbox is making you less productive throughout your day? 

The Gym is closed, but my fridge is always open.

Unless you are a diet freak and you have only a nutritious, gluten-free, super-healthy stack of food in your house, you'll want to indulge with that cookie. Some squats, a little walk across the rooms, or a short yoga session, can transform this cookie from guilt food to just a refreshing snack after a job well done.

Get a Christmas present earlier this year.

At home, we have two kettlebells, a pull-up bar, a ball that I used to sit on while working, and an elastic band. Just in case we want to make a few more reps after the gym. Not bad for a start. But we've missed cardio. Missed it so bad that after two weeks in quarantine we bought a bike. Now we are using it daily, and the feeling is pretty much awesome! (smile)

embrace-remote-staying-fit-01.jpg

Few elastic bands, a dumbbell, or a jumping rope can bring a lot of joy in your days. There are countless bodyweight exercises that you can perform without any equipment, but the magic hides somewhere else. When you buy something with purpose, you acquire this inner need to use it for this purpose.

So, if you purchased a 2-dollar jump-rope, you'll invest some minutes using it, and that will be the core of your investment!

Create a Fit-Journal

For some time, I write down all my gym workouts and personal records on paper. It feels unique, and I love doing it. More than a month ago the Captain Diary turned into a Quarantine Gym! I'm spending some time researching for home workouts, shuffle around apps (like WODGenerator), and making custom sets of movements for each day. This effort pays out whenever I don't have the mood or time to create a home workout ad hoc. And I can always go back and use some of the existing workouts. (smile)

embrace-remote-staying-fit-02.jpg

Having time for yourself is essential, and keeping your body & mind in good health - even more. And who knows, maybe the answer to that bug that you're battling with, is hiding behind a couple of burpees. (wink) 

If you still don't feel so motivated to squat, I'll leave this corgi butt here. (big grin)

IMG_8468.JPG

8 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2020

This is a great post @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_, there is some really good advice here.

Also, I can't stop laughing at the Corgi picture!

Like • # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2020

Thank you @Jimmy Seddon !

First article without a cat, because no cat have enough butt for a post-Easter article 😳

Like • Saralie S. likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2020
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2020

We have this one guy in our company that is a meme/gif beast. He would be proud of you 😀

Like • Saralie S. likes this
Viktoriya Kravtsova April 30, 2020

One of my rules during the Corona work-from-home: have some time for yourself and respect your body. Working from home limits the activity. After work, I'm usually doing fitness exercises at home or going jogging. Normally in the evening, I prepare some food for the next day, so that my lunch is ready and needs to be heated only. It saved me from junk-food, which also helps to stay fit :). 

I wrote a couple of more words in the LinkedIn post

Adria Alonso
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2020

Here in Spain We can go out for walks and sport only from 6am to 9am and 8pm to 23pm so its hard if you can't do exercice at home.

Thanks for sharing

Kock Philips February 4, 2021

One of my rules in the course of the Corona paintings-from-home: have some time for your self and appreciate your body. Working from home limits the interest. After paintings, I'm typically doing fitness sporting activities at home or going strolling. Normally in the night you can see here.

Carlus Remod August 29, 2022

Sounds like we've got some hobbies in commonplace - I love yoga and picture design, even though in place of Rottweilers to read on blog.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events