Looking back at 2020, Looking ahead to 2021

I think we can all agree that 2020 definitely had its challenges. I could go on about all the things that were difficult this past year because there were plenty. But, as I reflect on the year, there were a number of amazing things that happened that as well wouldn’t have been possible without the global pandemic and lockdown orders.

Local in-person community events (ACEs) transitioned to virtual events. This gave me the opportunity to attend events in other cities that had topics I was interested in. I even had the chance to join some from halfway around the world. This simply wouldn’t have been possible before the pandemic and I’m really grateful to the ACE leaders( @Andy - PTC Redundant @nina_schmidt @Fabienne Gerhard @Brittany Joiner ) that welcomed me to their events.

As many of you may know, I’m very passionate about the Atlassian products and the community.  I’m also just as passionate about video games and 2020 gave me the opportunity to learn more about online streaming.  I’ve learned some new skills and technologies and it led me to getting involved in charity efforts to support local hospitals.  I will be doing that again in 2021!

In November of 2020 I changed jobs.  It was scary at first, I had been with my previous company for many years and I wasn’t sure how virtual onboarding would work.  I can say that the company I work for now it absolutely amazing.  Onboarding was very well thought out and everyone is extremely friendly and understanding.

Looking ahead to the coming year, I’m not really one for making New Year’s Resolutions.  Though I loved the concepts that @Jodi LeBlanc  shared at the beginning of 2020, which is select 1-2 words that represent your overall theme for everything you do in the coming year.

I started 2020 with the theme “Unstoppable”.  Looking back, I think I managed to accomplish that theme.  This year, my theme will be “Balance”.  One of the reasons I felt the need to look for new job is that my work life balance was not where I wanted or needed it to be.

My new company offers a much better balance for me.  I also want to apply this to other areas as well.  I have been neglecting posting articles in the community and I want to change that in 2021.

I’m optimistic that things are going to get better in 2021, but with the way things are starting I know we still have quite a way to go before things feel “normal” again.

11 comments

Comment

Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2021

Hi @Jimmy Seddon ,

This is pretty good! Nice article!

I remember your comments from last year that you are going to write a lot of articles this year!

You are doing great! All the best!

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021
Like Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM likes this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021

Thanks for this great article - you are awesome and inspiring @Jimmy Seddon 

Already looking forward for the next events seeing you there (there is also some nice things to get from this situation) sending out Kudos and 💙

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2021

Great insights @Jimmy Seddon  :) Thanks for sharing! I have also done a good bit of reflection on 2020 and found that the world is still spinning and there's gems to be found. Looking forward to 2021 and all that is to come!

Like Fabienne Gerhard likes this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2021

Great Article !!!

Cheers

nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2021

Thank you @Jimmy Seddon for this awesome article and you are always more than welcome to my ACEs! 🤗

Stay safe! 🍀💐☺️

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon - looking ahead to 2021, also! It's been interesting so far. I like your 2020 retrospective.

p.s. I also changed jobs during the pandemic - I wonder if there's a term for that? 👀

p.s.s. As a Doctor Who fan, I appreciate the last GIF.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2021

Thanks @Dave Liao!  Until someone tells me there is already a term for it, let's go with "Pandemic Pathfinders".

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2021

#pandemicpathfinder #pandemicpathfinders - you saw it here first, folks! Had to tag this article as "pandemic-pathfinder" 🤓

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2021

I've missed your articles, @Jimmy Seddon!  💙

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2021

Awesome post, thanks for the mention Jimmy!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events