Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday Countdown 2020 - The lost days part 15 - Hubert Kut - Jörg Müller-Kindt

calendar.png

Due to the article size limit, older days have to be removed from the main article.

Here is day 20:

20.jpg 

hubertjoerg.jpg

Song of the day: Winter Wonderland by Bing Crosby (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP5_dJUd3BY)

We stay for another day in Europe. Today we have a double feature: Hubert Kut (on the left) and Jörg Müller-Kindt (on the right) host Atlassian Community Events in Berlin, Germany. And this year, they hosted 54 (!) Events! Incredible!

Jörg was born in Trier, a city in the Southwest of Germany, former capital of Emperor Constantine and birthplace of Karl Marx.

trier.jpg 

He grew up in a small village with a population of 480 people. 

Hubert is from Wrocław, Poland, looks also very nice:

old-town-5062328_640.jpg 

Both live in Berlin today.

Hello Hubert, hello Jörg, you host Europes Community with the most events in 2020. Needless to say, you deserve a day in this year’s calendar!

Jörg, how and when did you become one of Atlassian's Community Leaders?

The Atlassian User Group was kind of dead in 2014 and I decided to sponsor a revival with my former company with an event in Berlin’s Technikmuseum in September 2014. Have been helping to organize that great community in one way or another ever since.

Hubert joined the Berlin Group later:

Long story short. I was involved in Atlassian Community Events in Amsterdam. After moving to Berlin previous leader decided to step down and active community members asked me if I want to take over. After some time, our previous leader decided to rejoin! We have two great leaders now, thanks Joerg Mueller-Kindt!

Both say, their motivation for being a Community Leader is the people, they love to spend time with their awesome Community members

Jörg’s first time using an Atlassian product was about 2009, Hubert started with Jira 4 around 2010.

Jörg, do you have a favorite Atlassian memory to date?

Oh, so many, hard to choose a favorite. I think the “Revival” meeting in 2014 is still somehow special: Being in a large museum after dark and having a private demonstration of a working Zuse Z3 with nobody else around. The Technikmuseum at night is kind of a magical place for all geeks and nerds.
Informatik - Ausstellungen - Stiftung Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin

And Hubert, what about yours?

I think Atlassian Summit 2019 it is my favourite memory of good old days ;)

I asked Jörg, if he could go back in time to give himself an advice, professional or personal. What would it be?

Take the job at Deutsche Bank Investment Banking in Frankfurt (1987), even if you have to wear a suit. My life would have been a lot duller, albeit easier, but then again: I could be on the FBI’s most wanted list right now… 😊

bank.jpg 

And we would miss you, Jörg, for sure!

Hubert, what do you like to do for fun?

Amateur football referee, watching other referees, wathing amateur and semi professional football games. And I’m passionate about Role play games and board games.

Awesome, we should meet for a game night! Berlin is not so far away from here :-)

There are a lot of board game enthusiasts in our community, here's an older thread.

And you, Jörg?
Collecting and reading books. I absolutely love travelling around to visit museums and that is probably what I missed most in 2020.

I’m passionate about my library. Could not live without it. Tried. And failed.

books.jpg 

Hubert, did you have a New Year's resolution for 2020?

Business -> get the last (six) Atlassian on prem certificate and prepare for Cloud certs.
Private -> prepare house and arrange life for our baby boy joiner to our family. Marcel was born in May ;)

Did you achieve it?

Yes, yes, yes

Congratulations - to both of them!

Jörgs resolutions for 2021: Get out. Get vaccinated. See my family again.

I believe most of us do share your resolution - hopefully it will come true!

Hubert's family has a very unique Christmas tradition:

We have a funny tradition in our family. Before the Christmas dinner we have sport activity. Everybody sits on the floor in half circle in front of the oldest member, my grandma. She has huuuuge basket of candies and throw them on the floor and we have to pick them up. It’s allowed to hit other members with shoulder. The idea is to pick us much as you can add put it into your own basket.

Jörgs Christmas tradition:

If anything, probably Fondue (meat) and my brother’s homemade tartar sauce.

Jörg, do you have a favorite childhood holiday memory?

Snow? Tons of it. Enough to build castles and armies of snow people storming the ramparts.

snow-1209991_640.jpg

And your most favorite Christmas song?

“Feliz Navidad” is probably slightly worse than “Last Christmas” (we had Feliz Navidad already on Day 4, so I took your second choice as song of the day: Anything by Bing Crosby 24/7

But here’s Jörgs most favorite Feliz Navidad version: https://youtu.be/XD3iGaXzFlA

Jörg, what is your favorite holiday movie and why?

The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) Geena Davis as Ninja Assassin Hausfrau with amnesia and Samuel L. Jackson as her hapless sidekick is a priceless combination.

longkissgoodnight.jpg 

Hubert, please share a heartwarming moment from 2020 with us!

First day when Marcel came with his mom home from hospital. He is premature so had to stay longer in hospital, so it was really awaited and special day for my family.

I asked both of them about their Christmas decorations. The answers were quite different:

Jörg:

No, that would be dangerous. Would probably wake up after three days with a severe hangover, broke and covered in tinsel, having caused a blackout in the neighborhood. Just. Say. No. (If you have seen Chevy Chase decorating in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, you get the general idea…)

Hubert:

Yes, we do but it is only a Christmas tree plus some extra decoration.

IMG_1765.jpg 

Jörg, what are you grateful for?

I feel privileged, that I can work from almost everywhere and that I live in a region and a time in which technology allows me to do that. I feel privileged that I had the opportunity to learn. I feel privileged that I had work, although starting a new company was the best idea at the worst possible moment.

Tell us more about Germany. What makes living there so special?
We are and remain a pretty organized bunch after all the bullshit and the tin foil hats. I like that. Helps me with my OCD 😊.

Grinch or Santa?

Jörg answered, “The Grinch IS a Santa fan (at the end of the book) and so am I.”

Hubert answered: Father Christmas!!!

grinch-santa.jpg  

Jörg’s best album in 2020:
The 40th anniversary edition of Ultravox “Vienna”. My first vinyl in decades and one of my first records, when it was released 40 years ago. Still cool today. Although I am still recovering from the shock that more and more things I clearly remember come with a 40+ timeline attached
😊.

ultravox.jpg 

Oh, another child of the 80’s - I had the 7inch of Vienna - one of my first records was “Visage":

visage.jpg 

Hubert, how do you usually celebrate New Year's Eve?

With Friends and usually go to city centre for fireworks. This year probably will stay in home…

And how about you, Jörg?

I’m celebrating with a blanket over my head watching “It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World” - and this year I will be following official health guidelines, with a blanket over my head watching “It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World” - I would probably replace all fireworks with drone lightshows. Way cooler, less CO2 and can be used more than once. (look here for an example: https://youtu.be/44KvHwRHb3A)

Wow, that’s impressive! I have never seen a drone lightshow before!

Jörg, Hubert, what was the most unusal thing you did this year?

Guess, who gave which answer:

• Building a home studio. Maybe not that unusual

desk.jpg

• Changing diapers and all other parent duties…

Jörg wants to give a special shoutout to:

@Darline Auguste . Keeps us going in EMEA.

Hubert’s shoutout:

Thanks to all our awesome community members and special thanks to co-leader Joerg Mueller-Kindt for all what he has done in 2020!

Hubert, Jörg, thank you for the interview. It was a pleasure to have you here in our calendar. I wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year 2021 - lots of fun with your Community events and I hope, we will meet somewhere soon in person. Hamburg and Berlin are not so far away!

4 comments

Comment

Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2020

Thanks, Hubert Kut, Jörg Müller-Kindt & Thomas for sharing this awesome annual calendar article for 2020!

Like Thomas Schlegel likes this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2020

@Guys, thank you for being so active and awesome! @Hubert Kut . Congratulations for having a new family member! :) Hope that we can talk in person again.. soon.. someday. All the best! :)

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2021

This is awesome thanks for sharing @Thomas Schlegel 

Erisa Mosl September 21, 2021

This is very interesting I am working on a the same type of project you can see here and also there is a complete details about the upcoming holidays. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events