Emoji Heaven: having as "moji" fun as possible!

My name is Fun Man Andy and I have an addiction…

It’s August 25th 1999. Having just turned 16 that month, young Andrew James got the shock of his life! After 8 tough years of being shit at school and studying, he did the unthinkable: passed his GCSE’s within the top 5% of the UK. 

Say WHAT!? Unthinkable!

As a special reward my parents decided that I had earned the right to join my elitist friends at school: I was to get my first mobile phone… and it was a beauty: the tremendously basic Philips GSM. It was so basic it didn’t even have a model number on the packaging or device, just “BT Cell Net” 

Once I’d calmed down, one of my next thoughts was : “YES! I can do smilies”. The kids at my school had been talking about them for over a year: 

regular :-)
sunglasses B-)
shocked :-O
everything! 

And now it was finally my turn and with that, started a 21 year love affair with - what is now known today as - emojis!

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 08.22.46.png

Just how bad is the addiction?

Since that fateful day a lot has changed: 
GSMs once made for texting and messages only have grown into Life Management Smart Devices. More importantly (to this article, at least), smilies have evolved into… emojis!

And we’re also no longer limited to the standard that is on offer; we can go absolute bat shit crazy on uploading our own emojis left right and centre!

Need a stroopwaffle emoji? Go right ahead! Want to adorn your messages with pics of your favourite pet!? Be our guest!! (In apps like Slack, as long as you have the correct Admin rights, this feature is limitless and the world is your :party-parrot-with-oyster-hat:!)

One factor hasn’t changed though:
My addiction! It’s the same as it has always been, which means it’s also just as bad as it’s ever gonna get!

I just can’t stop… chat, slack, WhatsApp, e-mails. You name it. If something can be edited digitally it is guaranteed 100% that I am gonna slap an emoji on that b%^*#! I even tried to put emoji’s on my OpenVienna pass. (It kinda worked… no emoji’s but I had three perfect squares on it….)

The other day I even “did a Linetti” when I spoke the emoji out loud. I believe I have now truly reached the pinnacle of my addiction. I am so #two-starry-eyes-big-smile!

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 17.47.17.png

How to beat the addiction!?

Hah hah… you don’t!  Emoji’s are here to stay and as long as nutters like me are around (I.e.: always and forever…!), they will forever be a way of life. So hate neither the player, nor the game: get on the field and play!

Maybe you’re wondering why I can never beat this addiction (other than the fact I don’t want to!) and it’s a simple answer really: it’s so easy to achieve. 

Slapping an emoji (or ten) onto the end of your sentence is sooooo easy! For a while the easiest way to do that was right there down on your keyboard… just a few simple ticks and the emoji menu will appear. But nowadays, what with smartphones and more powerful programmes, just typing “ : “ followed by some letters will bring up the emoji you want.

So stop being boring and spruce up your typing with some fun. You won’t regret it: I promise!

Disclaimer: never put emojis on legal, commercial or HR contracts. I don’t want to be dragged into your corporate director’s office to have to explain why the latest statement of work template is splashed with #thumbs-up and #heart-with-two-stars.

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 08.37.24.png

PS: you might be thinking to yourself “wow, a Fun Man Andy post about emoji’s but without any emoji’s…!?? He must have messed up…???

No. I didn’t. Here they are…. All of them!!!!

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 18.05.14.png

8 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2020

I just imagine your computer wallpaper being the above display of all of the emojis   :-)

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2020

My first phone in 1999 was a Motorola Flare, swiftly followed by a Siemens C4 that had a little stick man that walked across the screen when you turned it off! Happy days!

🤓

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2020

This article is SO YOU @Andy - PTC Redundant 😍

I love how you are adding that extra flavor in every conversation. I even got an "emoji-note" in my Notes app, after being inspired to use them more often when it comes to casual conversations. 

(the black hearts are my favorite tho..)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2020

Thanks for a good Friday laugh @Andy - PTC Redundant!  I'm not a regular user of emojis as a part of my sentences.  But I love using reactions in applications like Slack where I can express how i feel about what someone posted without using up a ton of screen real-estate. 

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2020

OMG Andy! Every single emoji in one article, good thing slack isn't here or you would be in emoji-jail! I think you mentioned that slack had a fit when you used 20 something emojis in one message lol  Another "awesome Andy" post, but tell me, did it drive you nuts not being able to add any emojis until the very end?! Explosive emoji ending - well done! 😍💥🔥

Like # people like this
Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2020

You are awesome, @Andy - PTC Redundant ! I love smilies in messages, and reacting to messages with emoji, too! Emoji addicts unite!  🙌

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 25, 2020

phone_philips-savvy_big.jpg

Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2020

My brother had a similar phone @Andy - PTC Redundant . I remember gawking at it as a kid.

..and yeah, I agree, emoji's are here to stay. GIF's got nothing on them.
the sheer technological advancement which makes a semi colon + an Alphabet D into :D

.. is a great piece of invention. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events