Atlassian Community 2020 Year in Review

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 8.16.28 PM.png

Hello, Atlassian Community! I'm Ali, and I lead the Platform & Customer Engagement Analytics team here at Atlassian.

Every year on the Community’s birthday, we do a “year in review” (see here for 2018 & 2019). This year is bigger than better than ever - read on for animated charts and our biggest numbers yet. And that's because this year, we have two birthdays to celebrate!

20 years ago, on March 19th, our co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes registered the atlassian.com domain on his credit card. Atlassian wouldn’t exist as it does today without the smarts and passion that every single Atlassian user brings to the table. And since this Community launched in 2017, more than 80 million people have joined us on our journey, all of whom have made an invaluable contribution. And for that, we are forever grateful!

So, as we celebrate the day our 20 years began, we want to celebrate the amazing things this Community has managed to achieve in what was an undeniably challenging year. Whether you were seeking support or lending an expert hand, the connections you built with each other are notable and will stand the test of time!

visitors (1).png

For the first time, we hit 20 million visitors in a single year! 

avg daily visitors.png

Because we're seeing so many visitors come back, on a daily basis we have about 93K users online. This is a new high and an increase of about 8% over 2019's totals. 

This year, we launched an all new way to learn from experts: check out the library of Training on Community videos here!

training on community.png

Nearly everyone who participated in Training on Community were brand new to training. Taking a bite-sized training via Community is a great first step towards graduating from courses and completing certifications from Atlassian University.

training.png

Jira Basics was the first subject in the Training on Community series and by far the most popular. Over two-thirds of trainings on Community were completed within the Jira Basics series! What are Jira Basics? is the most popular course with nearly 50K views.

Keynote.gif

The most popular way to get support is still through questions on Community. However, unlike previous years, I wanted to show you the (literal) scale and impact of asking and answering questions on Community. This year, we saw more than 60 million views to questions and answers. 🤯 Thank you to all 16K of you who answered a question this year!

We can't forget about all of the other ways to connect with Community users, though. 

views.png

This year, we saw Articles take the cake with how many views they attracted. We also saw a 70% increase year-over-year in the sheer number of Articles posted by the Community - proving that the Atlassian Community is a valuable source of expertise!

discussion word cloud.png

We made major announcements about Atlassian's Journey to Cloud this year so, perhaps unsurprisingly, articles posted about the Cloud & Cloud products jumped more than 2x over years past.  

Cloud themes didn't stop with articles, though. Cloud & Cloud products were hot topics for discussions, drawing more than 1 million views over the year.

e10beb36-3bf7-444d-a58b-f90479b3dac1.png

We'd be remiss not to chat about Groups, which saw more than 5,000 conversations this year. The Welcome Center kept its crown from last year as Most Chatty, followed by Jobs & Careers and the Berlin/Brandenburg group.

Finally, I wanted to recognize the most amazing part of the Atlassian Community: its users! Questions wouldn't be answered, articles wouldn't be shared, discussions wouldn't be hot, and groups wouldn't be chatty without everyone here.

User types.png

In 2020, we saw an incredible 22% increase in the number of members of our Community Leaders program. We also saw more Atlassian Staff active on Community than ever! Welcome to the Atlassian Community to you all - we are so happy you're here.

2020YIV.png

Additionally, we've created the 2020 Year in Review Award - a special badge just for this special recap.

bagde_Awards.png

I'm excited to recognize the following Community members:

Most active: @Hana Kučerová with 353 days active!

Most questions: @Roja Gurram with 90 questions!

Most viewed answer: @Dave Liao for his response on How To Enable Dark Theme in Jira, which received 70,000 views after he posted!

Most "liked": @Jodi LeBlanc with 1,676 likes!

Most active Leader: @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

Most active Staff: @Angélica Luz

Congratulations everyone and THANK YOU for your contributions to the Atlassian Community over the last year. 

As always, I want to sign off with a MASSIVE thanks to the team who helped me put this together: @Bridget Sauer for being a much more eloquent writer than I am, @BiancaE for getting the word out, Alejandro Vargas for the assist with animated charts, Leah Pincsak for your creative genius, and @Monique vdB for being brilliant with badges.

Thanks for reading - we'll see you next year!

29 comments

Comment

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2021

@Ali Sanne - wowza, 70,000 views? I remember what prompted me to post that answer originally: I went down a rabbit hole of trying to find ways to "dark theme/dark mode all the things!" and noticed there wasn't an official answer for that in the thread. 😝 Good to know that I made a good necropost.

p.s. Hopefully anything that can be dark themed, will be dark themed in the future. 🙏

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2021

HOW COOL IS THIS. I never tire of seeing how Leaders and members take this Community to new heights. We great. 💯

Like # people like this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2021

Congrats for all !!! 💯💯💯💯

Like # people like this
Pedro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2021

Awesome to see this!! 

Like # people like this
Angela Smith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2021

What an amazing and vibrant community and post this is! It is wonderful to see what is possible, together. Congrats TEAM! 

Like # people like this
Tilo Schneider
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2021

Awesome!

Like # people like this
Marek Vejrosta March 26, 2021

@Hana Kučerová - can you please explain to everyone here what you did for the remaining 12 days of the year? Why wasn't your activity 365, but ONLY 353 days?
Congratulations on the award! Thanks for your work, I admire your efforts and creativity!

https://giphy.com/gifs/fxsqOYnIMEefC/html5 

Like # people like this
Fabian A. Lopez (Community Leader - Argentina, Florida, California)
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 26, 2021

AMAZING!!! Congratulations to the whole community and thanks for preparing this wonderful summary!

Like # people like this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 26, 2021

Awesome!

Like # people like this
Karan Verma March 26, 2021

🤩 Congrats 🥳 

Like Ali Sanne likes this
Leslie Lee
Atlassian Team
March 27, 2021

So cool! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to making our community such a special place!

Like # people like this
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2021

Amazing!!!

Like Ali Sanne likes this
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2021

Awesome!!!

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2021

This year in review is awesome. When visiting the community on a daily basis, it is not so difficult to see and feel this place has something special, but then seeing those numbers is mind blowing! Makes me humble and proud at the same time!

Like # people like this
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2021

Great summary, congratulations to everyone and especially to @Hana Kučerová :)

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2021

This is amazing. Thanks for this great summary. 🙌🏻   

Like # people like this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2021

Wow - how great is that! Love this overwhelming community which feels like family 💙

Congrats to @Hana Kučerová - this is what I would call living the community 💥🤩 and of course everyone 👏

Like # people like this
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2021

Congrats to everyone!

And a special shoutout to @Joerg Mueller-Kindt and his very active ACE group in Berlin! 🎉

Like # people like this
Laurens Coppens March 29, 2021

Proud to be part of this!

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

Glad to be a part of this Atlassian community forum and starting the chapter: https://ace.atlassian.com/visakhapatnam/ with Community manager support.

And thank you @Ali Sanne for that wonderful and visualized report showing the love and trust on the Atlassian leadership and products.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

@Ali Sanne , thank you for once again providing us with an excellent recap of our Community! I always enjoy reviewing the stats you collect and share.

The continued YOY growth of our Community never ceases to amaze me an it is rewarding to be a part of such a great group of humans!!

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

Amazing to see how the community has grown over the years.  Keep up the good work.

Like # people like this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

Yes! Thank you @Ali Sanne , again! Finally some good, well done piece of community statistics! .. Not only every day covid charts.. new cases.. Tired of looking at those ..

Congratulations to all!

Like # people like this
Sebastian Adam March 30, 2021

The Atlassian Community is a real benefit for all Atlassian users out there, especially when it comes to questions relating to the cloud. Congrats to this really impressive numbers and keep going! 🥳

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2021

I love every time you post one of these @Ali Sanne!  Thank you!  This is amazing!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events