Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we getting faster? A Home Office sprint analysis

I'm a Scrum Master in a software development company in Switzerland. We work with Scrum and have 2-week sprints.
In our company we are all in the home office since March 4th.
In Scrum language this means 3 full sprints. And since we do Scrum, I want to share some interessting facts with you. I compared the 3 sprints before Home Office and the 3 sprints during Home Office.

What I have to say is, we do not estimate bugs, we just estimate stories and we just count the number of bugs fixed in a sprint.
In this chart below you can see the number of bugs and the number of story points we deliverd in these 6 sprints:

image.png

green is number of story points, red is number of bugs

We have definitely not slowed down. I even think we are faster than normal. The bug level is the same, about 12 a sprint. But the story points we delivered is increased! Before about 26 and after about 34. That's almost a quarter more...

Now the question, where does this speed come from?
Is it just the fact, that the developers have a better focus and can work undisturbed?

I have not yet been able to answer this question and can only speculate.

What do you think? What could be the reasons?
I'm curious to hear your opinions!

Regards, Dominic

3 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2020

This is fantastic @Dominic Lagger!  I love analyzing data!  I think you are on to something with focus time, I think that all depends on everyone's individual setup at home, but I know I for one have myself off in the far corner of the house where there are no visual or noise distractions.  That is not true for my office desk.  So even though I have fewer people contacting me via virtual means because walking up to someone's desk has always been easier, I'm also less distracted by what's going on around me.

Might be true for some of your developers as well?

Like # people like this
Helen Griffiths _Capgemini_ April 14, 2020

Do you think people are more likely to work longer hours and get more done? - i.e. people's commute has been lessened from travelling to the office to a walk to another room, so they're using that time more productively?

Personal opinion, but as people get more relaxed with working from home and a routine is formed, that could be why your delivered SP is on a downward trend - although it's still showing you were as productive as your first Sprint.

stats.gif

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 1, 2020

Love this Article, @Dominic Lagger !

Like Dominic Lagger likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events