Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about importing CSV file to create project in Jira

John Kennedy February 19, 2020

From what I have been told, it is possible to import a CSV file to create Epics, Stories, etc into Jira. I guess my first question is "Is this true"?

Assuming it is true, we have a customer engagement spreadsheet that our sales people will fill in to specify the work to be done for a client. We also have a large "menu" of services that  are offered which the sales people pull from to create their sheet. What we would like to do is take the sales spreadsheet and import it to Jira to create all the Epics/Stories/Tasks for that customer as a new project. Am I dreaming that my life could be that easy?

2 comments

Comment

Ravi_P February 20, 2020

Yes. It is not difficult at all.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/creating-issues-using-the-csv-importer-764478441.html

You can import each row in the csv as the same issue type and then move the issues to correct issue type, add epic links, add links, parent for sub-tasks, assignees, reporter, etc 

Change the assignees and reporters last so users do not get bombarded with emails while you are doing the above activities.

Second option is to import Epics first. Import other issue types. Import sub-tasks last.

Also, save the configuration file and re-use it.

Like Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2020

+ You have to be Admin in Jira to import CSV Files. Yes it is not a dream it is true @John Kennedy .

It saves lot of time for the end users. More details can be found here 

Best,

Fadoua

Ravi_P February 20, 2020

@Fadoua  @John Kennedy 

Atlassian made changes to Jira and users can import now. There are certain limitations though.

@John Kennedy 

I have done this several times. Ping me and I can help.

John Kennedy March 11, 2020

Ravi,

What are the limitations? This is Jira Cloud by the way.

Thanks,

John

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events