Linux or Windows?

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2019

Good Day Members,

Since I can not eat, my poor brain produces more problems and questions 🤯

I was wondering how many of you are hosting their Atlassian Applications on Windows Servers. How many are on Linux Servers?

I am not a Linux expert, however I can find my way around. I can not work on any type of machine running on Windows. However, my very first job as Atlassian Admin was on Windows Servers. I don't think I can handle it another time.

For those who never saw my computer background, here is what it looks like right now:

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 1.52.26 PM.png

3 comments

Comment

Bruce Jewell May 29, 2019

No technical info, just love the pic

Like • Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2019

Tux is the best!

Huey Callison May 29, 2019

At work and at the client, everything is cloud-hosted, but for anybody who wants a 'stunt' dev instance, I can't recommend highly enough spending the ten bucks for a 10-user server license to Jira or Confluence. If you have a windows laptop, the tomcats run as services that you can stop and start as needed (so you don't have spare tomcats just lying around, murdering your poor windows box)  and on a linux box, it's even more friendly than that. 

But if work insists on a Windows laptop, you can install XAMPP, and then use the MariaDB from that as the backend for your dev Atlassian stuff, and use Bitnami to plug in whatever other servers you need, and THAT'S the justification you can use later to get the IT goons to give you more memory, because you have four or five different development servers on your laptop. 

Still: ...don't run all three tomcats at once. Windows hates that. 

Like • Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2019

@Huey Callison  Thank you for taking time to share your experience! I am not a Windows person at all.

Billy Poggi AUG NOVA_ DC
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2019

I have both types of systems at home.  Windows and Linux.  

Running a Windows server gives you default remote desktop (RDP) access which is very convenient. 

If I have bare metal, I like to use ESXi (free) from VMWare.  It's robust and can interface via a nice web gui.  It's getting better all the time.  This is based on Linux, so I think it falls into the Linux category for this discussion.   

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events