getting started

Jen Lopez May 9, 2019

Hello! 

On a recommendation from tech industry friends, I applied for the free community licenses for nonprofits from Atlassian - I'm told I'll most clearly benefit from Jira Service Desk and Confluence.

The Atlassian people are apparently highly efficient (speaks well of their software...?) and approved my request in 24 hours instead of the anticipated 3 weeks.

I'm looking to set up these two items especially for my team to improve efficiency. It requires a server; it's not the cloud-based version (that's all that's available for the free license).

A friend suggested AWS would work.

I've never used any of these.

Really, the most I know about this stuff is that they sponsor NPR and podcasts.

I've never used the products, but i've seen it in use and it comes very highly recommended from tech friends who can help with making it user-friendly once I have things set up.

obviously, i'm not a programmer or super familiar with any of this, but i'm pretty good at figuring things out and picking up new skills. i don't yet have the vocab for what i'm doing, so my questions will sound a bit elementary....

I've managed to get ASI and Jira installed or created or something in AWS (confluence is status CREATE_IN_PROGRESS)....

i saw this:

CIDR Block allowed to access the Atlassian product. This should be set to
a trusted IP range; if you want to give public access use '0.0.0.0/0'.

so i chose 0.0.0.0/0 - what does this mean? i assumed it meant my team could log in from any ip address (i.e. work from home). is that correct? is there a significant security risk to doing so?

once i have everything created on AWS, what's the next step?

if you're using AWS, what does this typically cost you? for how many users? can you function with just the tech soup grant? tech soup is down for the night, so i can't apply for the $2000 worth of credits at the moment. 

3 comments

Comment

Jen Lopez May 9, 2019

also, i accidentally created this in US East when I'm closer geographically to US West. What are the implications of this? What should I have done?

David Pinn May 9, 2019

You won't notice a difference, in all likelihood. The difference would be very small.

Like Jen Lopez likes this
Jen Lopez May 9, 2019

thanks! that's what i was hoping to hear :)

David Pinn May 9, 2019

Hi Jen,

AWS can be a bit intimidating at first, but it seems that you've made good progress. The CIDR block is expressed as a pattern for IP addresses that are allowed to talk to your server. The CIDR 0.0.0.0/0 allows requests of your Confluence server to come from any IP address on the Internet. If you want to you could be more restrictive; perhaps limiting requests that come from inside your organization, for example. You might benefit from playing around with the CIDR to IPv4 Address Range Tool.

Once everything is up and running on AWS, you'll want to read through some of Atlassian's documentation to understand how to administer your server.

I don't know about tech soup, but you could have a play with the AWS Pricing Calculator to work out your expected monthly costs.

Best regards,
David

Like # people like this
Daniel Fietta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2019

Hi Jen,

Nice to hear that tech friends are recommending the Atlassian products to you! To figure out which of the products are the best fit for you, you can go through the product overview page and read through the descriptions. Jira Service Desk and Confluence are definitely a powerful duo when it comes to providing internal and external customers a portal where they can access information and get help.

You can find some guidance on the basic requirements for the AWS deployment / your server here:

In the end, it will depend on your usage, the configuration, used add-ons, etc.

From our experience, the amount of the TechSoup grant should be enough for the beginning and for the basic requirements but again, it depends on your usage, user counts, etc.

If you want, you can also get support from an Atlassian solution partner.

Best regards,
Daniel
STAGIL

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events