What Nonprofit learning resources would you recommend to Community members?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 14, 2020

Hi there! Nice to meet you all. My name is Monique and I am a member of Atlassian’s Community team. In a past life, I was an English instructor (and even though I now work in tech, I am still a voracious reader).  

I am constantly on the hunt for a good read, whether to learn or to relax. A resource that I reference often is Buzzing Communities, which I like because it gives a good basic overview of community management. I often have to break down community management into digestible tidbits, and Rich Millington does a great job doing that. 

What books/podcasts/webinars would you recommend to other Community members in the Nonprofit industry? How have these resources helped you in your role?

Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Cheers,

Mo

2 comments

Comment

Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2020

Great post! 

On my bookshelf I have the following standards which I share with others regularly:

1. Radical candor - Sets the foundation for how to communicate with your team to achieve the best results
  2. The Phoenix Project - Compares IT work to a physical manufacturing plant so that you can get out of your own head and understand tech work from a different angle and be more effective with decision making
  3. The Unicorn Project - The sequel/parallel story to Phoenix Project where you understand why simple coding philosophies and fast feedback are important to focus on, and not "just minutia" 
  4. Crucial Conversations - This book helps you separate facts from the stories we all tell ourselves, and helps us to deal with the sometimes frustrating low tech budgets for Non-profits
  5. Influencer - This book is similar in desired outcome from Crucial and Radical, but teaches you the common misconceptions we all have for why humans are motivated to do what we do. After reading this and taking it to heart, you will be much more inclined to help others discover the right thing to do, rather than just telling them what to do and why.
  6. This is now your company - Helps to show how you can use your influence to drive the decisions in your company, even if you are not the decision maker.
  7. Practical Jira Administration by @Matt Doar 
  8. Jira Strategy Admin Workbook by @Rachel Wright 

The last two are both amazing resources written by our very own community members to help you get up to speed on the best techniques for making your life easier as a Jira admin.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 17, 2020

@Jeff Tillett I've read Radical Candor! I'm not that good at it though. Hahaha.

@Gregory Van Den Ham since we were just talking about your work for a nonprofit, have you read any of these or have other recommendations?

Like Jeff Tillett likes this
mhavill October 2, 2020

Thanks for the list @Jeff Tillett . It looks like there are some great reads there. The Phoenix Project has been a compulsory read for all of my team since I was given a copy 5 years ago. Now I’ll have to search for the Unicorn. 

Like Jeff Tillett likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events