It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

how can i track the percentage of completion of an epic in Jira next gen?

Hello,

I would like to know if there's an add-on or else that can help me to track the percentage of completion of an epic (I don't mind about stories and sub tasks).

I would like to manage the progresses of epics and transfer it to excel automatically while keep tracking and working on my project in Jira next gen.

hope you can help me, thank you

2 answers

1 vote

How are you measuring "completion"?

Well, I actually don't know yet. I was thinking I could create a ratio based on story points estimate but it's not a real solution since it is a "weight" not a measure of time.

Another thing i thought was creating a simple ratio based on start and finish date [(today-start date)/(finish date- start date)] but in this case i would make a strong assumption stating the same amount of work performed each day.

In this sense, I would like your suggestion.

Thank you

Eoin Atlassian Team Jul 14, 2019

@Luca Orciuolo we've introduced a progress bar in the issue view over the Child issues panel. This is currently using issue count only, and we are investigating making this a toggle for story points estimation as well.

Cheers

Like # people like this

There are a couple of ways to track "progress", but it very much depends on your processes and what you really think it is.

Your idea about start and end date is quite good, as it's measuring elapsed time

The most simple measure is the number of open and "done" stories in the Epic, but this takes no account of size

Story points, while not really a measure of time (as you say, it's more about "weight") is still quite a good way to do it, as it gives you a good idea of relativity

A very good one is estimates and work-logs (usually done at a sub-task level if you're being a bit scrum-like)

@Eoin is there a ticket I can watch for the toggle for story point estimation and % done?

Eoin Atlassian Team Mar 18, 2020

@Dan I don't believe anyone has raised a feature request specifically on this yet, however we do have a lot of interest for a summary field at the parent level.

We have just recently rolled out displaying the story point estimation badges on the child issue cards in the issue view. Have you found this useful?

Thanks mr Ryan, but I think that's not exactly what I need.

I would like to record the % of epic progresses as the project goes on.

Maybe there's an add-on that fits my needs.

regards 

Eoin Atlassian Team Jul 15, 2019

We will be looking to include an epic burndown chart in next-gen in the longer term.

In the meantime there is an Atlassian built integration for Jira and Google Sheets that may help in the short term... https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/jira_cloud_for_sheets/1065669263016 

Hi All - I am keen on surfacing the % complete in the EPIC in the google sheets using the jira_cloud_for_sheets.  Can you guys let me know what field this is and how I can show it in my google sheet?

Image 19-11-19 at 3.37 pm.jpg

Like # people like this

@Eoin I'm also looking for the field that I would pull into a Google Sheet from the Sheets for Jira integration. What field matches the "Issues in this epic" Progress Bar %?

Like # people like this

I'm also looking for the field that matches the issues in this epic progress bar %. 

Like # people like this

@Eoin I'm also looking for this field.

% Done based on the % of stories DONE within the EPIC will do just fine, even though as mentioned it doesn't account for varying story size. I want to use it in a Dashboard as well as in exported reports. I don't think I should have to buy something like Epic Sum Up (great though it is) to access this fundamental a data point about the burn down of work in Epics - surely a fundamental of your platform?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

Keyboard shortcuts have arrived for next-gen projects!

...ollected feedback from users around the lack of shortcuts, and we’re here to address that: In next-gen projects, I miss the keyboard shortcuts badly. This is particularly true on the Board, but also i...

440 views 4 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you