Why wont my board show projects in the board settings, when i have the projects in the filter

Michele Lomas May 15, 2019

I have a board created which is based on a filter, pulling in tickets from multiple projects, and specific epics, but my epics do not show in the backlog view. My filter query includes project in (GLOB, AMER, EMEA) but in the board settings, under projects in board, there is a message which says... 

We can't show the projects on this board, because the board's filter doesn't specify any. Your users may have trouble managing issues and sprints on this board. Try including some projects in the filter to fix this.

As i remove the epics from the query the epics will now display in the sidebar of the backlog view. How can I get the epics to show up with the query: 

project in (GLOB, AMER, EMEA) AND "Epic Link" in (AMER-149, AMER-213, AMER-207, AMER-209, AMER-215, EMEA-506, AMER-212, AMER-154, EMEA-879, EMEA-877, EMEA-872, EMEA-878) OR labels = p2 ORDER BY Rank ASC

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2019

Hi @Michele Lomas 

Your filter is mostly correct...Epic link is populated when a story, task, or bug is linked to an epic... but not the Epics themselves.  Maybe try this one:

project IN (GLOB, AMER, EMEA)
AND (
"Epic Link" IN (AMER-149, AMER-213, AMER-207, AMER-209, AMER-215, EMEA-506, AMER-212, AMER-154, EMEA-879, EMEA-877, EMEA-872, EMEA-878)
OR key IN (AMER-149, AMER-213, AMER-207, AMER-209, AMER-215, EMEA-506, AMER-212, AMER-154, EMEA-879, EMEA-877, EMEA-872, EMEA-878)
)
OR labels = p2
ORDER BY Rank ASC

Best regards,

Bill

Michele Lomas May 16, 2019

thank you Bill! So much appreciated!

Rob Cooper October 28, 2020

Just came to say thanks for this answer... I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, and it turned out I needed the AND clause to use parenthesis:

project IN (<projects>)
AND ( something = something OR somethingElse IN (<things>) )

I think the OR clause was screwing up the filter, so Jira couldn't get the Projects.

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2020

That logical order of precedence can get you...without the parens so it knows what we want.  ;^)

Suggest an answer