Vertical Space Use in the Next-Gen Board

Matan Shenhav January 6, 2020

Why is so much vertical space unnecessarily wasted in the next-gen board?

Every bit of vertical space is important so I can see more of the board at once: KPI should be maximum number of issues visible vertically in the screen.

Consider:

• Plenty of white space is available in the top
  • Components can be moved one row upwards to save some vertical space
  • Also consider whether showing issue codes helps users; the issue type icon can be displayed on the same row as the issue name, with the issue code shown on mouseover

why.PNG

2 answers

1 vote
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2020

+1 to what @Angélica Luz mentioned. This is something on our radar to improve - and we're currently juggling a few other things before we can get to it

Kevin Batson March 27, 2020

Me too. Density of information is often far more important than being visually pleasing.

Like # people like this
Martin Lechner September 8, 2021

This post is almost 2 years old - and this is still the case - also on classic boards.
Any idea when you will improve it?
During our daily, we have to constantly scroll as only half of the screen is usable - which is really annoying...

Like Miguel Piedrahita likes this
0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 6, 2020

Hello Matan,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

We appreciate your feedback.

The amount of space on next-gen boards is by design and there is not much difference from a Classic board.

Next-gen board:

Screenshot 2020-01-06_17-49-07-796.png

Classic board:

Screenshot 2020-01-06_17-51-47-020.png

If those fields that you pointed was added along with the board name, it wouldn't allow a longer name or it would be less space to show the remaining days of a sprint, for example.

I understand that you are not using a board name with many words or a sprint, but as this is a cloud site, it's not possible to edit the CSS and HTML of the page to change the location of the fields.

With that said, I'd suggest you to raise a feature request on jira.atlassian.com (project JSWCLOUD) adding more details about why removing those spaces is important for your environment.

Regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer