Transition rule not firing in next-gen kanban

Ben Sullivan February 2, 2021

Hi

I have decided to give next-gen a go for my engineering team.  I'm trying to implement some simple workflow validation and field updates.  I'm not having much luck.

As an example, I want to update the start date to today when I transition from my first workflow status, "In Backlog" to "To Do".  Both of these statuses have category of To Do.

I had to introduce the "In Backlog" status to model the fact that we elaborate tasks first (estimate, add defn of done, bug details etc) before the task/bug is then ready to work on, at which point it goes to To Do.  Current next-gen kanban does not do this well out of the box which surprised me - unless I've missed something of course.

So when I move task from In Backlog to To Do the start date is not updating so the rule I setup did not fire.

I'm at a loss as to why.

Please help.

Thanks

Ben

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2021

@Ben Sullivan There are some preconfigured transition rules that you can use inside the workflow editor - on the transition from In Backlog to To Do, you can use the "Update an issue field" to set the current date inside the Start date field. It might be easier in this case than using the automation engine.

You can reference https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/available-workflow-rules-in-next-gen-projects-1005805111.html for other examples of these transition rules.

Thanks

Ben Sullivan February 3, 2021

Hi @Eoin - the transition rules in the workflow editor are what I used.  They don't appear to be working.

Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2021

We've confirmed with @Ben Sullivan that this works with the transition rule

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2021

Hi @Ben Sullivan  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

As you already have a rule, please post an image of the rule and the audit log for an execution which did not work as you expected.  That will give the community more information to try to help you.  Thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

Hi @Bill Sheboy - where can I find the audit log?

Thanks

Ben

Here is transition rule:

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 09.40.05.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2021

Hi @Ben Sullivan 

Just to confirm, are you using automation rules for this transition or are you using workflow transitions?  If workflow, take a look at what @Eoin suggests.

If automation rules... to find the automation audit log...

• On your board, select the lightning bolt
  • Select view audit log
  • Find the recent execution of your rule which is not working
  • Select view more

Thanks!

Yeah my approach has already been what @Eoin suggested - I am using the preconfigured update start date field on the workflow editor but it doesn't appear to be working when I move a task from the source status to the target status.

Eoin
Atlassian Team
February 3, 2021

I've just tested it myself on my production instance and it works for me @[deleted] - I could do a quick screen share with you to have a look around with you on your instance if you like. Email me at eryan@atlassian.com

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

That would be awesome!

0 votes
Ben Sullivan February 2, 2021

I have the same problem for End Dates BTW in a different transition.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events