Subtask order in a Next-gen project

Francesca G. September 11, 2019

Hello,

I'm new to Jira and I'm evaluating the Next Gen Proj Board.

I've some task in my board with subtask, which in my case should be ordered to improve their readability. Can't understand if there is a way to do this or not. 

Can you help me?
Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2020

@Francesca G. @Mark Preston @Petter Gonçalves @Leonard Plotkin @Herve Leung-Tack we've just introduced ranking in the issue view! There are a couple of places for us to add real time updates being reflected across the views but the majority is in place now. Let me know if you have any further questions :)

Mark Preston January 21, 2020

Thanks @Eoin  useful improvement and was good to be able to move around sub tasks under a task to get the order of work progression needed

Like Eoin likes this
2 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2019

Hello Francesca,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I understand that you would like to group the Sub-tasks below their parent task in your Next-gen board. Have I understood it correctly?

To do  it, you can click on the Group By drop-down on the right side of the board and choose Sub-task:

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 16.18.31.png

By default, the order of the sub-tasks below their parent will be based on the issue key (ABC-1, ABC-2, etc).

Now, if you are looking for a way to change that default order of the sub-tasks, I'm afraid it is not possible because they are based on the board filter that you can not customize in Next-gen projects. In fact, we have a feature request opened for that here:

Ability to configure board filters for next-gen projects

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Francesca G. September 16, 2019

Hi Petter and thanks for your reply,

actually, I was trying to sort the subtasks in the task detail view as, regardless the time they've been added to the task, their procedural order may differ. In my opinion, the glance view of the task detail should provide an idea of what should be done and in which sequence. I am certainly inexperienced with Jira, but this is a goal which I have not (yet) been able to achieve. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks again

Herve Leung-Tack October 28, 2019

I do have the same issue. Is there any response to your question ?

Leonard Plotkin October 29, 2019

I am kinda experienced with Jira and used the subtasks heavily for detailed planning of user stories. I would never have expected that this approach would be impossible in next-gen projects... Having the correct order only in the overall board view and being constantly confused by the wrong order in the detailed view doesn't sound like a viable alternative.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 30, 2019

Hello @Francesca G.@Leonard Plotkin and @Herve Leung-Tack

Thank you for all the insights and feedback on this matter.

Indeed, the wrong order displayed under the active board section is not expected behavior for Next-gen projects. In fact, we have reported it as a bug so our development team can check it out:

The next-gen "Group by" feature is not displaying the swimlanes in the issues' order 

Feel free to vote and watch the bug to increase its priority and also receive notifications about its fix implementation.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

0 votes
Joanne Griffin November 12, 2020

I am having an issue when I clone stories and the subtasks reverse in order. Does anyone face this?

Thanks

Jo

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
November 12, 2020

Hello @Joanne Griffin

Yes, this is a known bug with the Jira application. You can check the link below to track the progress of our team to get it properly fixed:

Cloning issue with sub-tasks in a next-gen project, reverses the ordering of subtasks 

Also, feel free to vote and watch the bug to increase its priority and also receive notifications about its fix implementation.

0 votes
Mark Preston November 9, 2019

I have the same problem and agree with @Francesca G. and @Leonard Plotkin  and @Herve Leung-Tack 

Suggest an answer