Next-gen Service Desk without agent license

Rod McWilliams October 8, 2019

Hi,

I have a project leader in one of the teams I support who's just created a Next-Gen Service Desk project. He does not possess one of our Jira Service Desk licenses, and I have not been requested to grant him access to one. Yet, he has built a service desk project complete with portal page, field layouts, etc. He seems to have limited ability to configure his SD project (certainly nowhere near what I can do in Jira Service Desk) at this point, but he's been able to do quite a lot.

Can someone please explain how this can happen? I'm at a loss to know how someone without an Agent License can create a working service desk project.

Thanks Rod

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2019

Does your project lead have admin rights?  Admins don't have to be agents to create and configure projects (although using them as an agent, they do need to be agents)

BusinessContent October 9, 2019

Yes he does have admin rights within his portion of the organisation. However, he does not have admin rights within the area of the business that runs licensed Jira Service Desk with agents.

As I understand your response, he can create whatever project he likes - even a next-gen service desk, create portal pages, etc. But it will not operate properly (as we understand JSD works) without obtaining agent licenses. Is that correct?

thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2019

Sorry, I was not clear.

Does this project lead have Jira admin rights?  (These are not delimited by areas of business - you are either an admin in this whole Jira system or you are not)

You say that this person can create projects, which strongly suggests that they are a Jira admin (or the upper layer of "Jira system admin").

You are right that the project might not work properly unless the person also has agent rights as well. 

Admin does not mean "can do anything", it means "admin".  Admins can create and configure any project, but unless they have the separate rights to the project, they won't be able to use it properly!

Like BusinessContent likes this
BusinessContent October 9, 2019

Yeah, this person has admin rights. In our instance (the way I've configured the system), he's limited to fully administering only those projects which fall under his part of the organisation. We have an additional layer above for a small group of site-administrators who have admin access across the entire organisation.

Bottom line appears to be that without additional JSD agent licenses his next-gen service desk will not operate properly. Which is really what I suspected anyhow.

Thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer