Next Gen board is extremely slow, how can I speed it up?

jegner February 5, 2020

Hello!

I have a next gen project that has had 2500+ tickets in it over all time, 100 of which are active, 365 of which have been marked as done in the last 14 days. At this time my project has become so slow it's almost unusable. I have confirmed that the Done status has the resolution "resolved" with the green check mark next to it. At this point, I am trying to determine what else we can do to speed this board up. It's worth noting that many of these tickets do have images attached to them (screenshots, etc.). I've found a number of posts about changing the # of day limit for the "Done" column but haven't actually been able to determine if this is possible for next gen projects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 answer

0 votes
Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2020

Hi Jegner, can I check if you're using a next-gen project which has sprints disabled (Kanban)?

If yes, the issues in your DONE column should clear from your board after 14 days as we have an automatic board clearing rule enforced.

Also, can I check why you have so many issues in DONE? Is it due to importing issues from Classic? Or because your team just completes tasks with high velocity?

jegner February 7, 2020

Hi there, thanks for the reply here. Confirming that we are using a next-gen project with sprints disabled (Kanban). We have so many tickets in the DONE column b/c our team completes tasks with a high velocity. Ideally we would be able to control the DONE column to show fewer tickets (perhaps last 7 days or 5 days). 

As a general rule, is there a # of tickets at which these boards start to slow down?

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2020

Thanks for giving us feedback about this. We are currently working on designing the right solution to help you manage your board!

• Would you be available to have a chat with us for 1 hour next week between 27th February - 3rd March (AEST time)?

• As a thank you for your time, we will send through an e-gift voucher after the session.

If you're keen, please refer to the below calendly link.

https://calendly.com/iteong/jira-software-next-gen?month=2020-02

Please remember to:

1. Change your timezone in the bottom of Calendly and sync your calendar when you book a time.

2. Answer the screener questions so we have a brief profile of you.

3. Be ready to share your screen through Zoom when we chat.

Regards,

Ivan Teong

Product Manager, Jira Software

Mikaela Bertucci September 22, 2020

Hi @Ivan Teong 

Is Altassian going to address how slow Next Gen is?  I was using classic and moved to Next Gen under the assumption it was slick and well it's not. 

In the first three days of using it I've noticed:

Automation rules don't work

It's really slow

I can't assign stories to epics when I create them

I'm seriously considering going through the work to put my project back to a classic project.

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
September 22, 2020

Hi @Mikaela Bertucci

Performance is definitely my team's top priority. We're working on that right now, with several experiments waiting to roll out.

If you're keen to chat more about your situation, please arrange a time with me so we can review the way your team works, and most importantly, I can put you into an early beta group for these changes: https://calendly.com/iteong/next-gen-performance?month=2020-09

Regarding the assigning of stories, there is multiple ways to address this. You should try using filtered create - select the epic you want from either the epic filter on the board/backlog, or epic panel (you have to enable it) https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Improved-Backlog-planning-in-next-gen-with-the-epic-panel/ba-p/1387675, and any issue you create will have the related epic (it'd work with other filters like assignee and labels as well).

We also just released keyboard shortcuts to help boost your speed of working: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Keyboard-shortcuts-have-arrived-for-next-gen-projects/ba-p/1485369

Regards,

Ivan Teong

Product Manager, Jira Software

Suggest an answer