Missing fields when Importing CSV (epics, story points estimate, sprints)

matias.hilaire December 15, 2019

Hi,

Our development process usually starts with the PM writting all the stories and tasks on an Excel or Google Sheet in order to be able to include Story point estimates, divide all those stories among epics and define a sprint plan.

I've imported the csv file asigning each item to the correct field in JIRA for a next gen board I had previously created.

I don't get an error message but, onlye these fields are imported correctly:
1.- Summary

2.- Description

3.- Assignee

(all of them are uploaded as Stories)

On the other hand, this are missing:
1.- Story point estimate

2.- Issue type

3.- Epic Name
4.- Sprint

(I double checked and all those fields are part of Issue types "Story" and "Task"). I also tried exporting a CSV with the list including the "Issue key" to see if I was able to update them but still I have the same problem.

I hope someone can give me an idea of what I am doing wrong cause completing each task individually is going to be a huge waste of time.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2019

Hello @matias.hilaire

Thank you for reaching out.

Indeed, Jira Next-gen has some limitations regarding CSV imports. In fact, the behavior of ignoring the fields you mentioned was already reported as improvement requests and we are currently working to get this fixed:

- As a Jira admin, during the CSV External System Import to a Next-Gen project, the mapping of the "Issue Type" value and the "Story Point Estimate" value is not respected 

Ability to import issues with parent-child(epic-task) relationship to next-gen project 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

About the Sprint field that is not being mapped, can you please confirm if the Sprint described is created in your project? 

As a workaround for those issues, I recommend you to use a Classic project to receive the CSV information until we have a more efficient CSV mapping for next-gen.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Larry September 10, 2020

This just makes me angry.

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2019

Hello @matias.hilaire ,

Currently the fields you noted will not work on next-gen project types for a csv import.

Check out this previous post that was answered by one of my associates that goes into much greater detail on this, but primarily focuses on the workarounds in the BUG https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17829 :

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer