JIRA disallows completing sprint due to incomplete sub-tasks, that are not even there in the Sprint

Debashish Chakrabarty January 25, 2021

I am facing a strange issue. When I try mark a Sprint complete (that has some incomplete tasks, which should spill over to next Sprint), I get a message that the Sprint cannot be marked complete because two Stories (the story key is also displayed) have incomplete sub-tasks. The strange thing is that both these stories do not even belong to this Sprint and have been marked with the upcoming sprint.

image.png

Another Strange thing:

• When I search for issues with query "Sprint in openSprints()", I see these only the subtasks related to the two culprit issues there, with the Sprint column clearly showing the next Sprint ID. The parent story doesn't appear here.
  • When I search for issues with query "Sprint in futureSprints()",  only the two parent stories show up there, not the subtasks beneath them. 

The two parent Stories and the sub-tasks with in them are in "TO DO" state, and the Sprint field for them show the Next Sprint, the sub-tasks inherit the field value from their parent. We use the "next-gen" JIRA and use the standard workflow.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

That seems odd for sure as incomplete issues should move to next sprint of backlog. However, check to verify that the parents (stories) of the incomplete subt-tasks are not marked done/resolved. The story should remain open if the children are still incomplete.

Thanks for the reply. The two Stories JIRA objects to, do contain sub-tasks, but all these sub-tasks (as well as the parent stories themselves are in "TO DO" state), and the Sprint field for all of them show the upcoming Sprint (I even verified that using the Export XML option). They are also not linked to the current Sprint Agile board (and not now show-up on the board). 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

Can you clear the sprint field for the stories and sub tasks then check that the issues are in the backlog and retry?

Tried that, now the parent stories have moved to the backlog but the sub-tasks are still showing up in the "openSprints()" query. And still getting the same error message on trying to mark sprint complete.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2021

And you are sure the sub tasks sprint field is in fact clear? If you remove the sub tasks from the current sprint they should not show in the active sprint board and should not be blocking. Otherwise, I have to wonder if you have any addons that may be causing the conflict. Beyond the I would refer you to Atlassian Support. Or maybe others will chime in with ideas here.

Yes Jack that's verified. I anyway always put the Sprint in the parent story only (that then cascades to the child issues). Once I removed it from the Stories it vanished from their sub-tasks as well.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2021

If neither the stories nor sub-tasks are appearing on the scrum board and you still can’t complete the I recommend having Atlassian Support log in and have a look. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events