Is there any shortcut for adding an image into the body of a description?

Chris Wardle November 15, 2019

Is there any shortcut for adding an image into the body of a description? Majority of the formatting tools (bold, italic, bullet points) have shortcuts but adding an image does not appear to currently have one?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2019

Hi Chris,

Once the issue is created you can type / and then 'image' on the description and it will bring up a shortcut.

This command isn't on the 'create ticket' view just yet though, sorry.

Thanks
Owen

Chris Wardle November 21, 2019

Hi Owen,

That's perfect for what we need, thanks! Is this on any documentation anywhere? I was unable to find this?

Thanks

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2020

Apologies for the crazy long response! Here is the documentation https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/keyboard-shortcuts-markdown-and-autocomplete-724764956.html

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
November 18, 2019

Hi Chris,

I understand that you're using a Jira Cloud next-gen software project, and are looking for a quick way to add image attachments to a description.  At least in my own Jira Cloud site, I found that there is such a button for this purpose, please see:

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 3.11.28 PM.png

When I click that button I do see the following upload menu,

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 3.11.41 PM.png

But after that whatever file I uploaded is inserted directly into that description.   You can also drag and drop image files directly into the edit window of the description to add them that way.  Does that drag and drop method work for you?

Do you see this same toolbar button in your Cloud site as I have in my first screenshot?  If not, then I'd be interested to see if perhaps other users of your site might be having this same problem.   It might be worth reaching out to your site-admin for this Jira Cloud site to see if this problem exists for them as well.

Please let me know the results.

Andy

Chris Wardle November 19, 2019

Hi Andy,

Thanks for responding to my question. Yes I do have the image button on my toolbar which can be used to upload images into the description. However the issue is that my team quite often write long descriptions and using the Jira Cloud next-gen software, we are now having to scroll to the top of our descriptions each time we want to add a new image into the body.

In the previous version of JIRA, the toolbar was a sticky bar that would scroll with the page which would prevent this being an issue. It would be great if this could potentially be a feature that could eventually be added in future?

In regards to my question I was wondering whether there was a keyboard shortcut for the time being which would prevent the user having to scroll to the top of the description each time they wanted to add an image into the content of the description?

Thanks again,

Chris

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
November 20, 2019

Hi Chris,

Thanks for further explaining what you were looking for here.  Reading your question the first time through, it was not clear to me that this was actually a problem for really long description issues.   But I can certainly understand now why that is a problem in this case. 

I created a feature request for this.  All the Next-gen feature requests are created as subtasks of a parent issue.  In this case, I created the new suggestion of JSWCLOUD-18586 to try to address your request here.  I do not know if this request will ever be implemented in next-gen projects, but at least now we have a request for this

Unfortunately, it does not appear that there is any keyboard shortcut to summon the attachments dialog here.  But at least this fact does help to add weight to explaining why this a pain point here. 

Sorry there does not appear to be a better answer here, but perhaps this feature request can help to highlight the use case here better.

Andy

Like Chris Wardle likes this
Chris Wardle November 21, 2019

Thanks for your help Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events