Is there a way to promote issues defined in a project to an issue scheme (or global issue)

andrew June 27, 2019

I created a project and defined a bunch of issues. I need to create a workflow, but I can only define a workflow in terms of globally defined issues (the ones from my project aren't available when I try to define a workflow).  

My goal is to define a workflow in terms of the issues that I've already defined in my project.  Can I promote my issues to being globally available? 

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2019

Workflows do not belong to issues or issue types directly, and there's no such thing as "globally available" because all workflows, issue types, schemes, and so-on can only be "global", there's no way to make them anything other than global.

I think what you mean is that you want your project to use your new workflow for certain issue types that the project uses.

To do this:

• Create your new workflow
  • Create a new workflow scheme, one that associates your new workflow with the issue type(s) you want to follow that workflow
  • Change the project, selecting the new workflow scheme in the settings
andrew June 27, 2019

I think I'm missing something.

I have defined a new type of issue in a project, with different fields and a different name. I can't see that issue when I try to create a workflow.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2019

I don't understand why you think you need to see an issue when creating a workflow, they have nothing to do with it.

Go to the list of workflows, and click "create".  You will get a skeleton workflow which you have to name and then (optionally) edit and save.  It has nothing to do with any issues at that point.

Could you explain why you think you need an issue to create a workflow?

andrew June 27, 2019

I found this forum thread on how to assign workflows schemes to projects. I am having the same problem, so maybe my problem is actually stemming from a different misunderstanding.

My use case is that I need to be able to define rules for when an issue can be moved to a particular (custom) status based on that issue's field values.  

Also I found this statement:

Associating a workflow scheme with a project

You can associate a single workflow scheme with more than one project, although only one workflow scheme can be associated with a given project. The issue type scheme associated with a project defines the issue types that are available to that project. If an issue type is not defined in the project's issue type scheme, its workflow is not used.

In the Managing your Workflow document

So, if I understand this correctly, I need to create an issue type scheme outside of my existing project for a workflow to be useable?  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2019

No.  For a workflow to be usable, you just create it.   Once created, you can refer to it in a workflow scheme, which tells a project "for this issue type, use that workflow".  You can then tell a project to use that workflow scheme. 

Or to approach it from the other end; when someone creates an issue in a project, the project looks at its workflow scheme to see which workflow the issue will follow, based on the issue type the person selected.

An issue type scheme is also a project configuration - it tells the project what issue types can be used in the project. 

andrew June 27, 2019

First of all, thank you for taking time to answer my questions -- if you're ever near Nashville, please find me so I can buy you a beer. 

Okay, I think I am getting closer to understanding what I'm doing wrong.  I created a workflow (just copied the default jira workflow).  I tried creating a workflow scheme, and I see the issue types available, but they are not the types I defined in my project.

My assumption now is that I need to create an issue-type scheme. That will let me define issues (that will be copies of what I've already defined in my project). I can associate those issues to my workflow-scheme, which will allow my workflow to be defined in terms of the attributes on those issues.

Is that ... closer?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2019

Nearly there.

Go back in to edit the workflow scheme you created, you can add more issue types to it to then map to workflows.

You do need an issue type scheme, but it does not copy anything.  There is a global list of issue types, and the issue type scheme simply lets you select the types you want to use in a project.

Suggest an answer