Is it possible to export a Next Gen backlog to a spreadsheet?

Katelyn Botts January 22, 2021

Is it possible to export a Next Gen backlog to a spreadsheet? I'd want all individual issues to be pulled over into their own line in a sheet.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2021

yes. you can used the Advanced search page and build the filter that defines your backlog. for example maybe....

project = mynextgen and status = "to do"

Once you have that you can use the excel/sheets icon to export. Alternatively, once you have the filter you want you can use the Excel/Sheets extension to perform the query directly from Excel/Sheets.

Katelyn Botts January 24, 2021

thank you!

Katelyn Botts January 24, 2021

@Jack Brickey - another question for you -- I'm trying to export the columns of "summary" and "epic name" but it's not showing the epics the summaries are associated with. Am I missing something?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

What is your JQL query?

Katelyn Botts February 17, 2021

Thank you for responding, Jack. Admittedly, I don't have any experience with JQL. Is there a resource you would recommend to me so that I can learn more?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2021

no problem at all! Here is a doc to start with - advanced-search-reference-jql-functions . However, I don't think you need to even use the advanced JQL for your purposes. Rather stick w/ the basic search method - perform-a-basic-search . In Basic search you will have drop down options to build your query. Advanced will be needed for, well advanced searches. ;-) But the basic is quite powerful and a better way to get introduced into the advanced. You can build the basic filter and then click switch to advanced and you will see the underlying query and learn how to construct yourself.

Now let's get back to your specific issue here. You mention "I'm trying to export the columns of "summary" and "epic name" but it's not showing the epics the summaries are associated with." So just a bit of terminology here - Epics aren't associated to "Summaries". The summary is associated to issues and Issues can be associated via a parent-child relationship. Now, I think the issue here is that as you are on Next-gen the "Epic Link" field does not exist they do in Classic projects. So when you go to export your stories they don't illustrate the relationship. AFAIK this has not yet changed but admittedly I do not use NG except as a playground at the moment.

Katelyn Botts February 17, 2021

Oh man this is awesome. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2021

glad to assist in anyway I can. if you need any JQL assistance at all JLMK!

cheers!

Katelyn Botts February 23, 2021

Hey @Jack Brickey ! I feel like I'm so close to getting this right. I followed some of your previous documents you shared and added the Jira Cloud for Sheets add-on. Now, I'm trying to run a query to pull (at a minimum) all issues, epics, story points, and assignees associated with a specific project. 

I feel like this must be easier than what I'm making it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events