How to split user stories into tasks and see the stories and its tasks grouped in the scrum board

Francois Martel January 10, 2019

I come from TFS where I would create user stories in a backlog, then during the sprint planning divide the stories into tasks. 

In the sprint board I would see stories and its related tasks grouped together so it was easy to see how many tasks where left to do to complete the story. 

How can I do this in Jira Cloud ?

Is there another way to work that with Jira that I'm not aware of ?

I'm not used to create tasks in a backlog, usually I only create tasks in a sprint under a specific user story. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2019

Hi @Francois Martel

If you are using stories and subtask in JIRA, then in the 'Active sprint' mode, you can see the subtasks grouped under the story. For that, you will have to set the Swimlane configuration of the board to 'Stories'

image.png

Thanks for the answer but in Jira Cloud I don't even see how to create subtasks or access the swinlane parameter.

I was in a next gen project which is somehow different, I created a new scrum project and all seems to work just fine.

Like Jurgen Cuiza likes this
0 votes

Thanks for the answer but in Jira cloud I don't even see how to create subtasks or access the swimlane parameter.  

Suggest an answer