How to set the Epic of an issue created with automation in a Next-gen project?

billy jean March 24, 2020

I am using automation to create an new issue in the Kanban board of a Next-gen project. I would like to set the Epic of this new issue to the same Epic as that of the trigger issue or the parent of the trigger issue (when the trigger issue is a sub-task). How can this be done? Setting the Epic Link field of the new created issue does not seem to work.

The only workaround I have found is to clone the trigger issue and then edit the fields of the newly created issue. In that case, the Epic is set automatically. There must be a simpler way however and this does not work when the trigger issue is a sub-task.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2020

Hello @billy jean

Thank you for reaching out.

Indeed, Next-gen projects use a different mechanism to link Epic to standard-issue types which do not include the Epic link field.

In fact, the Automation for Jira was recently included to Jira Application and it does not have a functionality to properly link Next-gen Epics, so we have the following feature request to track our developers work to implement it:

Setting epic link in Next-gen projects is broken in cloud 

Please, keep an eye on that feature request as our developers work to get it implemented.

That being said, I believe the best option you have to get it working would be by keeping cloning the issues as you are doing right now.

Let us know if you have any questions.

billy jean March 26, 2020

Petter, 

Thanks for your reply. I will watch this issue.

Greg Horton December 3, 2020

I am looking to add the Epic Link drop down field to the "Create Issue" interface in next-gen JIRA which my company just moved to.  Is this possible yet?  Thanks

Presten Swenson November 9, 2021

@Petter Gonçalves was this never fixed? Can we get a ticket that actually relates to this question?

2 votes
Tom January 29, 2021

Was this implemented?  Jira tickets are not inheriting the parent epic using the automation 

2 votes
Caleb Gonzalez July 6, 2020

Is this possible yet?

0 votes
Presten Swenson November 9, 2021

This still seems to be broken and I don't see a follow up. The ticket is closed and doesn't allude to this exact issue. Can we get a ticket that is related to this exact issue created?

Suggest an answer