How to enforce transition rule for story points to be greater than 0, subtask not have SP field

Nick van der Net January 24, 2021

Hi Guys, I'm running next gen and setting up my workflow.

I'm aware all workflow applies to all issue types.

I want to enforce a transition between To-Do to In-Progress to enforce the Story-Point field great than zero - to ensure all stories are estimated.

However, we also use subtasks, and I don't want to add the story point field to them, so this seems to be preventing subtasks from being able to be put into In-Progress - even when they don't have the field.

Please help.

1 answer

1 vote
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2021

Hello @Nick van der Net ,

Currently in the Workflow rules, if you set up a requirement in the transition it applies to all issue types trying to go to that transition. 

Next, a feature that will help you out once it is release is covered at the following feature request, however, it is still in the works and not yet released, so please do make sure to add your vote to this one and watch the issue if you would like to get updates on the status:

Finally, as a workaround rather than looking at the Next-gen Workflow Rules, check out the Project Automation section:

Using Project Automation as discussed in the following thread:

You could set up a rule that when an issue is transitioned to in-progress, with conditions that the issue type = story and story points are 0 or empty, then the issue is transitioned back to the ToDo status adding in a comment on the issue noting why the issue cannot be transitioned at this time.  This would allow for a block of the action as well as a customized notification of what steps are required.

Something like this should do the trick:

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.39.44 AM.png

Regards,
Earl

CK December 16, 2022

This rule is working fine when story points field is empty or <1 , but after adding story points still story is transiiong to wrong phase

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events