How do you identify or search for incoming issues in a next-gen project?

mrwiggles January 16, 2020

Is there a way to identify newly-created issues (either those created by other people, or those created by our own team members) in a next-gen project? There doesn't seem to be an incoming state like "Triage" that I can use to accomplish this.

What do others do to handle this?

2 answers

0 votes
mrwiggles February 18, 2020

@Angélica LuzI figured out the situations where this happens:

1. You move a ticket from an existing project to a new-style project. Despite "Incoming" being set as the default, the "Move" workflow allows the user to select "None".
  2. You create an issue via the Roadmap page.
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2020

Thank you for the details @mrwiggles

I was able to replicate the issue while moving a ticket. Based on that, I created a bug:

Please, click on "This affects my team" and also watch the bug to receive updates.

Regarding the Roadmap, creating a new ticket shows the default value correctly. Just to make sure we are on the same page, you are talking about the Roadmap directly in the project and not using an add-on like Portfolio, is that correct?

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2020

Hello mrwiggles,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Checking your subscription, I see that on your site there are Jira Software and Service Desk and both of the products have the option to use next-gen projects.

As you didn’t mention what product is, I’ll post here the best way to check for both.

If it’s related to Service Desk, the best option is to use the queue where you can customize the order of the issues and it’s easier to see new tickets.

If it’s a Software project, you can create a filter. It’s basically a queue, but in this case, you can’t access it directly from the project. From the main page, click on Filters > Search issues.

On this page, you can edit the columns for it to show the information that you need and filter by the project, order, status and so on.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

mrwiggles January 18, 2020

Hi Angélica - thank you for the detailed answer. I'm using JIRA Software. For some reason it didn't click that I could use JQL to search a next-gen software project via the search icon at the side: I'd read that next-gen software project could not have custom searches so I didn't even think of it.

Second - what are the recommendations for identifying new tickets created for a next-gen project? I have a project with tickets that will be created by multiple people, and it's pretty hard to figure out which ones are incoming and those that I've looked through, given that there's only a "TODO" status.

mrwiggles January 18, 2020

I tried to work around this by creating a new dropdown called "Triage Status" and setting a default value of "Incoming". When I create new issues however, I notice that this field has no value.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 20, 2020

You can create more status on a next-gen board. 

The first column is ToDo and the last one is Done and all other statuses between those two are In Progress. So if you create a status called Triage, it will be ToDo and the next status will be In Progress, so I'm not sure if it will work for your use case.

When searching for an issue, you can filter by created date and the first of the list is always the one. Your workaround is a good option, but the user will have to let the default status when they create the ticket.

I tested here and added two values and when creating a ticket the field already shows "Incoming" and when created, the value is correct.

Screen Recording 2020-01-20 at 03.40 PM.gif

So, to check all new tickets you can filter by project = "project name" AND "Triage status" = Incoming

mrwiggles January 26, 2020

Hi Angelica - thanks for looking into this. I opted _not_ to go with creating more columns, and instead went with the field. I'm not seeing the behavior you are, however. Even after setting a default for a new field. Using the "+" button at the side gives "None" as the default.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 28, 2020

Hi @mrwiggles

Would you mind to send us a screenshot of the custom fields?

I just created a dropdown field with two values and added one as the default.

Screenshot 2020-01-28_09-42-10-683.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events