It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I use markdown in Description

First time using a next gen project.

I don't seem to be able to use any markdown or other text based formatting.  For example, if I put

*test*

then it renders the asterisks and nothing is bolded.

Is it not possible to markup things anymore?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Ben Arnette

Classic used wiki markup; whilst Next Gen uses markdown - so for bold in markdown, it is **test**

Does this work if used in the Description field? Tested it in our instance and it works fine.

For more information on markdown, see this Confluence page

Ste

Thanks!  I'm now able to do some basic stuff!

Do you know if there are equivalents to things like {panel}?  I don't see anything like that on the Confluence page. 

Hi @Ben Arnette

If you type "/" in the description field it'll bring up a list of options to choose from you can add to the text box :) - this has code block, table, panels, etc.

Ste

Thanks Stephen!

One last question:  Is there a way to paste in from a text file the "/" hidden items?

If I paste in "asterisk-asterisk-something-asterisk-asterisk"  from the clipboard, I get bolded text.

If I past in "/warn" or something I just get "/warn".

Do the formats behind the "/" have something I can paste in to get converted to that object?  I used to be able to paste {panel} from the clipboard and get a rendered panel, but I'm not sure how to do that now.

Hi @Ben Arnette

Not as far as I know at this stage.

If it's an upload, an alternative would be to load the issues into a Classic project and then "move" the issues into the Next-Gen version. I tested this in our instance and it did work fine.

Move works in a similar way - see this Confluence page for more details.

Ste

Thanks Ste!

My use case is making templates in an offline text editor and pasting them into the field with all the markup included.  Looks I can do that for a more limited subset of the markup than I could in original Jira. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

Keyboard shortcuts have arrived for next-gen projects!

...ollected feedback from users around the lack of shortcuts, and we’re here to address that: In next-gen projects, I miss the keyboard shortcuts badly. This is particularly true on the Board, but also i...

282 views 2 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you