How do I see the Assigned Story Points when Planning in a Next-Gen Project?

Steven McDowall January 27, 2021

In my prior company when we did planning (Parallel Sprints) there was a "..." next to the Sprint below the names of the people and when clicked would show for each person how many story points in that Sprint were assigned and then the total. I believe this was a non-next get Project.

Currently, in the current project I am working on which is next-gen, when I create and start filling in a sprint I am not seeing the "..." nor can I easily see the totals of SPs assigned to people in the team.  The only thing I can do is to click each person individually to get their SPs -- but that is a royal PITA vs. the old method. 

Did this feature go away in next-gen?  Anyway to get it back?  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2021

Hi @Steven McDowall -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I don't believe that is possible with NextGen.  That project type is focused on simplicity.  You could also add a suggestion to add it to NextGen.

A work-around would be to create a filter, and include the columns like Assignee and Story Point Estimate (the field for NextGen).  You could run/export the filter when needed.  Perhaps something like this:

project = myProject
AND sprint IN openSprints()
ORDER BY Assignee ASC

Quick follow-up question: does your team pre-assign work to people in the sprint, or are the pulling it (and then assigning) when they have more capacity?

Best regards,

Bill

Steven McDowall January 29, 2021

We do initial assignments at Sprint Planning -- based on knowledge of area and availability.  Of course, during a Sprint it can change but we'd like to try to get a nice balance of SPs across the team at least at launch.  

I'll give your idea a shot.  Although since this is a fairly new project without much backlog I may switch to back to Classic .. Finding Next-gen to be .. almost too simple .. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2021

Sounds good... Please let me know how I can help.

I wondered if NextGen was going to stick to the super-simple model or evolve to include more Classic stuff.  The latter seems to be happening as a variety of different teams (who need Classic-features) try it and then abandon it.  The roadmap helps, but the absence of so many common things impedes teams.

Agreed -- we are pretty much going to go back to Classic at this point.  I am sure next-gen may help very very simple projects -- but this isn't one of them actually ;) 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2021

You may want to follow/contribute to this item for the NextGen work:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17392

And, if you find that filter solution worked please consider marking this question as answered.  That will help others find ideas faster for their challenges.  Thanks!

One small issue -- is I can't for the life of me how to add do the Filter thing you suggested .. I don't see any option to create / modify filters in the Project Settings.. <sigh>

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2021

Sorry, I forgot to describe those steps...

From the top bar, select Filters > Advanced Issue Search

From there you create and see the results of filter searches.  You may then save the search as a named filter, and subscribe to the results.  Please look here for documentation on that:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/work-with-search-results/

And for more advanced searching, please look here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/use-advanced-search-with-jira-query-language-jql/

Steven McDowall February 1, 2021

OK -- I had to add the fields by typing them in (warning not all fields will show in the scroll list for some odd reason) -- but it appears good.  Only thing I need to do is make sure for what we want is to enter the SP in the Original SP Estimate since that is the only Sigma field that makes sense for this use.  Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events