How can we rename the Board?

Deleted user May 23, 2019

We have an existing Agile board but need to rename it, is this possible?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jason Stork
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2019

If you are just trying to change the board name in next-gen, all you have to do is click on the board name and change it.  If you are trying to change the project name, you have to go into project settings.

Mike Kren November 4, 2019

One issue I am seeing is the original board name appears in the browser tab instead of the new one I changed it to. Even after the sprint has been completed and a new board name / sprint has been generated the original name resides in the browser tab.

Like # people like this
Jason Stork
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2019

The name in the browser tab is the project name. You have to follow the steps shown above to change that name.

Mike Kren November 7, 2019

No, when you are on the Board screen of a Next Gen project, the browser tab shows the initial Board name you chose when you started the project, and does not reflect the change for each new sprint. Some of our projects go month to month, so my browser tab says July, 2019 (since that is when I created the project / first sprint) and we are in November, 2019. 

Like # people like this
Jason Stork
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2019

I went to my board name, clicked on it, changed it, and the name changed in the browser tab. I am using Kanban, so that may make a difference.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

The projects I am seeing have this issue are all using Scrum, so that is probably the difference.

jira1.pngjira2.png

Jason Stork
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2019

You can change the name once the sprint is complete.  Do not start another sprint until you change the name.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Like # people like this

I'm looking forward to trying that out. Thanks for your help!

Jason Stork
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2019

No Problem.  Let me know.

Kris-Gerhard Aabrams March 26, 2020

* Disable Sprints feature
* Rename board
* Enable Sprints feature again

Progress / Sprint is not lost during the process.

Like # people like this
Laura April 29, 2020

@Kris-Gerhard Aabrams Thank you, you saved my day! Disabling Sprint and renaming did its job perfectly!

Like # people like this
Alex Reizer July 16, 2020

Jesus Christ, what an amazingly complex way of simply allowing people to change the name of the board. Next-Gen has a convoluted way for doing the simplest things.

Like # people like this
Alex Reizer July 16, 2020

"Disable Sprints Feature" to expose a setting is next-level Usability

Like # people like this
Deleted user July 16, 2020

@Jason Storkand @Kris-Gerhard Aabrams thank you. Finally figured out how to change the project name by using your instructions above. My main issue since the start was that the project name wouldn't change in the browser tab as indicated by @Mike Kren

Nick van der Net January 17, 2021

Thank you @Kris-Gerhard Aabrams that worked a treat!

Shawn June 2, 2021

If we already changed the project name, will disabling and re-enabling the sprint feature still fix this issue>

Like Amberly Lilly likes this
Amberly Lilly May 12, 2022

@Kris-Gerhard Aabrams Thank you for the guidance! Your renaming idea with stopping the sprint feature, renaming, and re-enabling the sprint worked! I have been pulling my hair out, trying to figure this out for a week.

Rowe Deraco May 11, 2023

@Kris-Gerhard Aabrams thanks! your solution worked!

1 vote
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2019

Hi @[deleted] ,

The board admin can modify it as follows.

name.png

Deleted user May 23, 2019

Is this for next-gen projects? I can't see this setting and am the project owner, do I require SysAdmin permissions for Jira?

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2019

Hi @[deleted] ,

Next-gen project name can be modified in the project settings.

sv1.png

martimlobao December 12, 2019

Where, exactly? Changing the key doesn't change the board name for me.

Mike Kren December 12, 2019

You can change the name once the sprint is complete.  Do not start another sprint until you change the name.

Like Søren Løbner likes this
doug.jones November 22, 2021

Does anyone have a screen shot of this?  The OP asked about making this change in a Team-managed project, but half of the responses and screen shots are referencing Company-managed-only screens.

In my Team-managed case, I see nowhere in the board configuration page that even references a board name.  But I still get an old, garbage name in my browser title that I cannot seem to edit.

Like ERIC ATABONGAFAC likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events